Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Top Advertisment

Collapse

Race car/trailer storage (LA area) - good idea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race car/trailer storage (LA area) - good idea?

I have seen some posts on this board in the past about folks searching for places to store race cars. It seems like a pain point.

I want to ask, for those that have considered to owning a race car they need to store somewhere - did it seem like a good idea? Would you do it again?

I have space to park two cars at home. It seems plausible that I could swap out the Corvette for a smallish tow vehicle (needs to fit in the garage), buy a reasonably sorted race car that fits in a series/class that doesn't require a lot of crashing, and just pick it up on weekends. But it sounds like the safe, affordable, accessible race car storage solution is kind of a mythological creature.

Any opinions from those that have done it, or declined to do it, in the LA area? Or similar areas where the cost of land is reasonably high?
    2003 Z06
    Mosport | Willow Springs | Other tracks

SpecCorvette racecars are being driven to the track on the spec street tire and raced! You might be down 10hp if you keep the cats so you can pass smog. You could make the cats bolt in so in 30mins you could swap them for smog.

In my case I'm too lazy to go to a storage yard and can't have a big trailer at my house. So I bought a 16ft dovetail carson trailer and cut the tongue off and made it bolt on/off. This way I leave the vette on the trailer and keep the trailer in my standard residential garage and I can still park a BMW 3 series next to the trailer. A smaller racecar like an SMiata with a dedicated miata trailer could be even smaller than what I have and for sure would be an easy fit in a residential garage so you might be able to put a midsize SUV next to the trailer.

Comment

I don't envy LA people when it comes to this issue. It seems like someone should develop property to give city dwellers the space to store cars and trailers.
      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

billybob that sounds perfect for 2 car garages with short driveways and no side yard.
        worth a like.
        74 911 RSR+
        88 IMSA Camaro

Comment

The cut trailer is a creative approach. That would fit, but in my case the other garage spot goes to the family Prius wagon, and messing with that will surely get me in trouble. We are mostly a one car family, but sometimes we do need a second car - the Corvette isn't really good at that, but it's good enough.
          2003 Z06
          Mosport | Willow Springs | Other tracks

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181005_160434.jpg Views:	1 Size:	417.8 KB ID:	260798

The left side is standard 2 car garage length and width. Racecar is on the trailer hidden behind the tire rack. Plenty of room for the Prius... You can see tongue of trailer on the right. It was my 1st cut and weld project.

Comment

I do the enclosed trailer thing. Useing it for a garage. I'll store my car in the trailer when I need room in the garage for other projects. But you still need trailer storage.
              That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

Working...
              X