Collapse

Road to the Runoffs and Nasa Nationals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It never ends! Can't believe there is still this much work to do, but I've never put any effort into removing unnecessary weight from this car. We have cut about 80 lbs so far and I haven't even started pulling wires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0388.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	228885

Successfully moved the 3 gallon oil tank up front. I had to cut off 2 oil ports and move them to different locations on the tank so it would clear the hood and so I could drain the tank. Made a custom bracket and shortened all the oil lines several feet each. Working on a baffle system for the catch can.

Name:	IMG_0392.jpg
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	228886

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	228887

Junior approves (he's trying to give a thumbs up here):

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	228888
    Last edited by redtopz; 01-31-2014, 05:27 PM.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Moved the PCM and TAC modules inside the cockpit so they wouldn't be sitting under the oil tank. Now to start pulling out unnecessary wires. I've been told there's about 50 lbs of it, but I'm guessing I'll net about 10-20 lbs.

Name:	IMG_0390.jpg
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	228889

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	228890
      99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
      99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Thought I'd share a quick update that might help some people. Anyone have an oil catch can that blows oil out of the breather? Maybe it was just me, but my catch can would slosh oil out of the breather and make a mess inside my old dry sump box. Sometimes it would even overflow out of the box and all over the passenger side floor. So one of my biggest concerns with moving my oil tank to the engine compartment was making sure this didn't happen where oil could slosh out of the catch can onto electrical parts, my serpentine belt, onto hot exhaust, or under my tires. My first idea was a simple and cheap one which consisted of stuffing some steel wool inside of the breather and about 1/4 of the way down into the catch can to help condense the oil vapor and prevent oil from sloshing out of the breather. I went out to test this Friday and was amazed that even when the catch can was full of oil, my breather never even got wet. This was 100% effective. Hope this helps someone else with the same issue. I am also considering cutting my oil dipstick down and running my catch can drain line down to the dipstick tube to continuously drain the can, but this is probably not necessary after initial testing.

99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
        99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Update to this thread. We successfully completed 3 Majors in the past 4 months which incuded a blown engine, rebuild, and engine swap in the middle. The #78 C5 Corvette is now qualified to race at the Runoffs in GT2 and T1. We had 8 race starts and made the podium in all 8 races. 6 pole positions, 4 wins, and 3 track records. Special thanks to TC Design for the advice and coaching and Synergy Motorsports for the engine build. Here are a couple of the T1 races from Thunderhill and Buttonwillow. I've already uploaded a couple GT2 races in another thread. The Majors were a lot of work as far as car prep, but it had to be done eventually for Runoffs anyway. The nice thing is the Majors bring in a lot of competition so we had 10-15 racers in my classes which is a lot compared to previous years. Looking forward to my first (and probably only) Runoffs in October. I think my car has a shot in T1, but I'm bringing a knife to a gunfight in GT2 as I've recently seen. But anything can happen and sometimes steady and consistent can win the race.

This race is only interesting for the first 3 laps and last 3 laps. Skip to 18:00 after the first few laps.
          99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
          99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Nice, consistent driving. Nice work, Bill.

And, oh, that LS howl.
            www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by redtopz View Post
              The Majors were a lot of work as far as car prep, but it had to be done eventually for Runoffs anyway. The nice thing is the Majors bring in a lot of competition so we had 10-15 racers in my classes which is a lot compared to previous years. Looking forward to my first (and probably only) Runoffs in October. I think my car has a shot in T1, but I'm bringing a knife to a gunfight in GT2 as I've recently seen. But anything can happen and sometimes steady and consistent can win the race.
              I qualified this weekend with Bill too but in T2. This would also be my first and only Runoffs just to say I did it. I'm bringing a stick to gunfight. I'm an under-prepared driver with an under prepped car with the original motor that burns no oil on pump gas, no fancy shocks, and no fancy diff and it is going to stay that way. I think I will change the oil, wash it for Runoffs, and stick it in friend's Semi-Trailer for the ride to Laguna and just enjoy the experience. I think I will drive Laguna a time or two before the Runoffs so I don't look like a complete fool out there. I forget which tree do I aim at when I go over the corkscrew?

Comment

A lot of East Coast people will be in the same situation.

Can you get it down to 92dB? If not, getting preparatory seat time at Laguna will be challenging. There's the July 26-27 NASA race weekend if you're into the NASA thing.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                  I qualified this weekend with Bill too but in T2. This would also be my first and only Runoffs just to say I did it. I'm bringing a stick to gunfight.
                  Yeah, but aren't you a master of stick fighting under Danny Inosanto? You should kick ass sensei! Maybe I should start studying knife fighting?
                  99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
                  99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Originally posted by flink View Post
                    A lot of East Coast people will be in the same situation.

Can you get it down to 92dB? If not, getting preparatory seat time at Laguna will be challenging. There's the July 26-27 NASA race weekend if you're into the NASA thing.
                    I registered today for the June 6,7,8 SCCA Regional Race there. 103db limits.
                    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

I registered too for June too. I have been running the stock exhaust all year so I should not have any issues.

Comment

Good luck at the Runoffs, Carl!!!

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                        I qualified this weekend with Bill too but in T2. This would also be my first and only Runoffs just to say I did it. I'm bringing a stick to gunfight. I'm an under-prepared driver with an under prepped car with the original motor that burns no oil on pump gas, no fancy shocks, and no fancy diff and it is going to stay that way. I think I will change the oil, wash it for Runoffs, and stick it in friend's Semi-Trailer for the ride to Laguna and just enjoy the experience. I think I will drive Laguna a time or two before the Runoffs so I don't look like a complete fool out there. I forget which tree do I aim at when I go over the corkscrew?
                        The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
                        1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                        2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                        2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Working...
                        X