Road to the Runoffs and Nasa Nationals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road to the Runoffs and Nasa Nationals

Last year was a big transformation for my car when TC Design rebuilt the cage and installed some rebuilt (by Tony) Moton shock coilovers. And then the awesome vinyl wrap by Wolf Vinyl. We raced nasa all last year and had a great run all the way to the championships.

This year we are getting more ambitious and taking advantage of the 2 national championships coming to our own backyard: the Runoffs at Laguna Seca and the Nasa Western Championships at Sonoma. After many weeks of work getting the car setup for scca, I made a trip down to ACS for the first Majors race of the year in T1 and GT2. Last time I was there was 2 year ago in my old T1 car. Last year, after setting the car up at the beginning of the season with Tony, I decided to not change a thing all year long. Not even a shock or sway bar adjustment. I was happy with the car so why change it? However, this year, I thought it would be beneficial to start learning more about car setup and how various changes affect the handling of the car. I have a pretty good baseline in the corvette since I've been driving them for many years in different configurations. So, after a test day at Thunderhill with Tony, we decided to try some new things at ACS. Saturday I ran on Hoosier R6's and I took notes of how the car was performing making slight adjustments as the weekend went by with Tony's help. This was a good experience, but the data wasn't ideal because my driving was worse than usual. I think I was trying to drive the R6's expecting A6 grip instead of using the grip I had. By Sunday, the car (and driver) was starting to perform how I liked and we had a good run in GT2 coming from back in the pack and finishing 3rd. Might have taken 2nd if not for driver error in a brake zone. So we ended up with the fastest T1 lap of the weekend putting the #78 on pole and with a 2nd place finish in T1 and 3rd in GT2. My plan is to continue testing various setups with Tony in the beginning of the season even if it only confirms that what I had was the optimal setup. I think it's a worthwhile experience to try different things and learn to communicate how the car is performing on the track and how to make setup changes to improve the handling. Big thanks to TC Design for their help and expertise!
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

That's great!

Good luck this season. Hopefully I'll get out to a few events both off the track (and on), especially with NASA in Sonoma.

Comment

My car (white/black) next to Oli's just before Sunday's GT2 race. If you look in the passenger seat area you can see a large box that contains my dry sump tank (came like this when I bought the car).

Running nasa in a power to weight class, I've never had any incentive to remove weight since I've always had enough power for the ST2 ratio. However, my car was 200+ lbs heavy for GT2. The dry sump box is bad for 3 reasons: a) it's heavy, b) it's messy and hot, and c) it's sitting over the best and safest place to add ballast in a corvette using the factory seat mounting studs for anchors (I have to run at 3300 lbs for T1). So project weight reduction has begun and one item will be relocating the dry sump tank to the engine compartment:

A side benefit is for the first time ever I will be able to give rides in this car once I get a passenger seat . Those mufflers are around 11 lbs each. The front bumper will be receiving a vinyl wrap next week sometime.
      Last edited by redtopz; 01-24-2014, 08:31 AM.
      99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
      99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Isn't the sump in the cockpit a little dangerous?

Please, wrap that lower chin spoiler portion in red! I like the livery!
        Yer pal,
        Force

Comment

Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post
          Isn't the sump in the cockpit a little dangerous?

Please, wrap that lower chin spoiler portion in red! I like the livery!
          Great idea with the red chin! That would look great. I'm not sure how much more dangerous it is having the oil in the cockpit inside a steel box vs. in front of you with only a fiberglass firewall. But the sump box in the passenger area was always a pita to deal with. Looks like we'll be able to move my 3 gallon tank up to where the stock battery was located, but it's going to be a really tight install.
          99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
          99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

REALLLY quick and dirty. I cannot tell some of the shape on that nose, but you get the idea. How much red you want to use/carry up is up to you. Personally, I really like the way your livery breaks up the form of the car.

Anyways...
            Attached Files
            Yer pal,
            Force

Comment

Red skirt down the side too?

Comment

Just a thought, but that red lip makes the car more photogenic beyond it being a Vette. This creates more photographic interest, thus more sponsorship exposure. Something to think about.
                Yer pal,
                Force

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                  Maybe a little, but less is more, y'know? If you have a car that looks sexy from the front, you create more photographic interest. I think that excites sponsors.
                  Yer pal,
                  Force

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                    Just a thought, but that red lip makes the car more photogenic beyond it being a Vette. This creates more photographic interest, thus more sponsorship exposure. Something to think about.
                    Hmmm, red lipstick and a red skirt? Might open up some new sponsorship opportunities...

Click image for larger version

Name:	MAYBELLINE-coupon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	228869
                    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
                    99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Hey. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

It's a Vette. Not a Miata.

Leave us our makeup wearing fans... please.

Comment

Makes the eventual transition to a Miata practically guaranteed!
                        Yer pal,
                        Force

Comment

Good luck Bill. Unless something crazy happens again, you will probably win both!
                          Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
                          Robispec
                          Girodisc
                          SCM
                          APR

Comment

Originally posted by Bueller View Post
                            Good luck Bill. Unless something crazy happens again, you will probably win both!
                            Or something like Tway, Oli, Rylan or Chuck kicking my ass in the race! I just need to take it one step at a time and work on what I have control over (and I have a lot to work on). Anything can happen in those big national races. I think the Runoffs will bring out some really tough competition. And who knows what kind of builds will show up at Sonoma? Should be exciting!
                            Last edited by redtopz; 01-31-2014, 05:05 PM.
                            99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
                            99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Makes the eventual transition to a Miata practically guaranteed!
                              Next year! Too much on my plate this year.
                              99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
                              99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

Working...
                              X