Iron Canyon Motorsports New TrackHQ Sponsor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Canyon Motorsports New TrackHQ Sponsor

Please join me in welcoming Iron Canyon Motorsports as the newest sponsor of TrackHQ.com!

If you're looking for expert suspension setup, Mark Nichols at Iron Canyon is your man. ICM is a dealer for Stoptech, C&R, AiM data, Intercomp, and the company also offers proprietary setup tools for Miatas and E46 BMWs. Check it at:

Iron Canyon Motorsports

Click image for larger version

Name:	ironcanyonbanner.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	236022
    www.TrackHQ.com

+1 for Iron Canyon Motorsports. Mark does great work at a very reasonable price. He is also an AiM dealer and can help you get started with data acquisition.

Comment

+1

Welcome Mark!
      WWW.949RACING.COM
      SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
      But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

There is no physical address on the web site. Where is this place located?
        2001 MR2-Eleven
        Experience Points: 21
        Youtube Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
          There is no physical address on the web site. Where is this place located?
          ICM
          17225 Sierra Hwy #117,
          Santa Clarita, CA 91351

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...d=0CJUBEPwSMAo
          --------------------
          Thanks,
          John
          NASA SM National Director
          http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
          #13 House Garage-built & Prepped Mid-Pack 1.6 SM / PTE / E3 Miata

Comment

He sells some awesome hub stands for alignment too.

Comment

Welcome, Mark!
              Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome. I've been lurking here for some time so while many of you are not yet familiar with ICM I am already pretty familiar with the 'characters' that frequent this site. ICM's main focus has for years been Spec Miata racing. It is and will continue to be a core part of our activities. Along the way we've developed some tools and processes to support the racing programs. As items these have been of interest and value to others we've also started reselling these items. That program along with the racing has kept the doors open and the lights on since 2003. The end result of all this is that I've been so busy building the business and supporting other drivers that I don't get to drive anymore . That situation going to change... Thanks to Moti/Blackbird Fabworx I've got a BMW E46 M3 build with a totally awesome cage underway that will find a home in SCCA T1 and/or NASA GTS3/GTS4. We are still a ways out on this project so when it will actually roll out I can't say. This car has proven to be a useful tool thus far for sussing out what products work/don't work on these cars as well as providing a new platform for product development.

A service I'd like to make available to the socal Traqhq members is access to our alignment and setup capabilities. We have a Hunter Elite alignment system that we've modified to make it more accurate and precise than the off the shelf system as well as an in ground lift. Suffice it to say lowered cars, fender clearances, and out of round rims are not an issue with what we have now. We are not really interested in 'toe and go' alignments as there are lots of other places to get that done. If you are interested in a true performance alignment, corner balancing, or enhanced alignment diagnostics we'd love the opportunity to work with you. As we found out in the Spec Miata wars there is much to be gained from a proper vehicle set up. We also do performance suspension and brake installs and can provide these parts at competitive prices as well.

Last but not least, Iron Canyon Motorsports is also a certified SCCA tech shop (Rob...) and will soon also be a NASA tech location as well.

Mark
                Last edited by markn; 04-01-2014, 10:35 AM.
                AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
                Iron Canyon Motorsports
                http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

Welcome Mark.
                  99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                  '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Pics of the M3 cage were posted in this thread -
                    http://www.trackhq.com/forums/f368/t...e-e46-m3-6922/
                    Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

Welcome, new sponsor. When your E46 M3 race car is all done and ready to race, I'd be very interested to know how much it weighs without driver. Thanks.
                      The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
                      1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                      2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                      2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

T1 rules have the E46 m3 minimum weight at 2600 lbs including driver. I don't think I'll get anywhere close to that. The car scaled at 3375 before the fun began. I'm running my own wiring harness which saves a lot of weight as I pulled about 75 lbs of wiring out of the car plus another 10 lbs or so for all the electrical control boxes. Heater core is gone - about 45 lbs saved. The SMG transmission is out and is being replaced by a E36 M3 5 spd with a lightweight JB racing clutch and flywheel. I'm running a 2.6 lb battery vs the stock monster size BMW battery which weighs in at about 45 lbs. Installed composite doors - 8 lbs vs 55 lbs each. 55 lbs was the gutted weight without glass and inner panels with some clearancing done for the cage door bars. Fully configured stock doors are much heavier. I pulled the sun roof out and I'm installing a solid roof panel. That saves around 35 lbs. A little more weight loss can be had with a composite decklid. The fenders and hood are already pretty light so I'm leaving those alone for now. I'm installing lexan windows all around. E brake is gone. There is not much easy weight to pull out after all this is done.
                        AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
                        Iron Canyon Motorsports

Comment

Composite hood: -18lbs
                          Remove wipers and wiper motor: -8lbs
                          Composite front and rear bumper crash bars? (Don't do this - they're too weak)
                          Remove trunk hinges: -4lbs
                          Remove rear swaybar: -7(?)lbs
                          Lightweight exhaust: ??
                          Relocate battery, shorten cables: -4(?)lbs
                          Remove fan: -4(?)lbs
                          Remove side and rear rub strips: -3lbs
                          Remove hood shocks: -1lb
                          I saved 7lbs by fully skinning the rear trunk lid - it's just a sheet of bent metal now. Makes engineering the wing mounts interesting..
                          Cut out trunk floor, replace with Al sheet: -10(?)lbs

Got my e36 down to 2620 fighting weight with 200lbs of lardass in it. Stock bumper crash bars and only the hood is composite.

Getting an e46 down to 2600 would be harder - need more composite and a smaller lardass.

Comment

2620 is very impressive. Nice job. I'd be happy getting to 2800 with driver.

See comments below. If this was a NASA GTS only car I could be much more aggressive with removing things, SCCA T1 rules are more restrictive.

Composite hood: -18lbs -- The stock e36 m3 hood is very light. It would have to be a really light composite hood to make it worthwhile to change given the cost.
                            Remove wipers and wiper motor: -8lbs -- I am limited to removing one wiper (T1 rules)
                            Composite front and rear bumper crash bars? (Don't do this - they're too weak) - The e46 m3 has composite bumpers stock
                            Remove trunk hinges: -4lbs - good idea. They are heavy.
                            Remove rear swaybar: -7(?)lbs - probably not per bimmerworld setup recommendations (tubular bars)
                            Lightweight exhaust: ?? - bimmerworld 3.5" race exhaust. supersprint headers.
                            Relocate battery, shorten cables: -4(?) - T1 rules don't allow relocating the battery afaik.
                            Remove fan: -4(?)lbs - done but larger oil cooler/radiator, elec water pump, and electric fan offset any weight loss
                            Remove side and rear rub strips: -3lbs - hmmm...T1 rules again though.
                            Remove hood shocks: -1lb - done
                            I saved 7lbs by fully skinning the rear trunk lid - it's just a sheet of bent metal now. Makes engineering the wing mounts interesting.. - not sure if this is legal. Composite parts are though, I'll ponder.
                            Cut out trunk floor, replace with Al sheet: -10(?)lbs - Not legal for T1.

Mark

Mark Nichols
                            Iron Canyon Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                            X