"This one goes to 11" - a BFW LS3 swap build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "This one goes to 11" - a BFW LS3 swap build

Just realized that with Track HQ being down for a few weeks I didn't share here a gallery which I thought some of you guys would appreciate.
    It's a customer car that was built for fun and games, but we will be running it with GTA as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LS000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	261264

The car has a nicely built LS3 which the owner (also a forum member) is shooting for 550 WHP, so it should have plenty of get up and go.
    There's a 20 point cage to keep the occupants safe and stiffen up the chassis and the safety setup is complete for both sides so that the brave (stupid?) soul in the right seat is just as well protected.
    The list of modifications is far too long to remember in its entirety, everything is custom.
    I'll let the pics do most of the talking, feel free to ask any questions!

Name:	LS006.jpg
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	261265

Slick looking racecar packs a lot punch and has the grip levels to take advantage of it.
    Our custom Penske suspension combined w/ 15x11 6ULs and 275 Hoosiers all around delivers the goods!

Name:	LS001.jpg
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	261266

Tight fitment and proper geometry create a solid safety cell -

Name:	LS017.jpg
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	261267

Name:	LS003.jpg
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	261268

Party at the front -

Name:	LS011.jpg
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	261269

Name:	LS012.jpg
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	261270

Name:	LS018.jpg
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	261271

Business in the back, the APR Performance GT-1000 swan neck wing was combined with our DRS which is controlled by the driver from the steering wheel -

Name:	LS008.jpg
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	261272

Name:	LS007.jpg
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	261273
    Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

"Welcome to my office"

Well protected occupants in FIA rated Cobra Evolutions seats and Schroth 6 point harnesses, fire system bottle located nice and low -

Our new universal Carbon Fiber center console and an AEM Electronics CD-7L dash put all the info and controls at the driver's fingertips -

Custom sealed battery box for a little baby battery that weighs right around 3.5 Lbs -

Name:	LS009.jpg
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	261285

Custom heat shields double up over the Jet Hot coated headers -

So many custom pieces in one detail shot - brake lines, fire system nozzle, heat shield, coil relocation bracket... the list goes on and on!

A large funnel extractor helps the radiator shed the heat -

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Blackbird; 01-04-2019, 11:03 AM. Reason: Images did not display correctly.
    Moti

Comment

Did you need to stiffen the chassis, or was that incredible cage enough?

Comment

Is the rear wing for downforce or to slice up competitors trying to pass

Comment

Originally posted by CharleyH View Post

Comment

Originally posted by CharleyH View Post
            It's a 71" airfoil and with a 500+ HP Miata, you can basically use #allofit.
            We do have the DRS hooked up to make sure it doesn't kill straightway speeds
            Moti

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird View Post

It's a 71" airfoil and with a 500+ HP Miata, you can basically use #allofit.
              We do have the DRS hooked up to make sure it doesn't kill straightway speeds
              ‘The car looks fantastic. I think you are holding back some of the technical details. I’m thinking that “”DRS system”” is actually a controllable wing. Your not just driving fast, I think you are flying just above the ground to reduce drag on the straights, and then landing again just in time to make the turn. I knew you were a brilliant designer and fabricator, but actually taking off on the straights is very creative

By the way, I love the Death race 2000 refference
              Last edited by CharleyH; 01-03-2019, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Meaty McMeatster came back for a brief visit this week, turns out that open X-pipe does not muffle the sounds of anger coming from the reworked LS3 quite enough.
                Exhaust system extended, mufflers added, bumper cut and Titanium heat shields were added.
                And while we're on the subject of things that are not enough, it also turned out that 15x11 with 275 Hoosiers didn't quite cut it, so we made room in the back for 15x12 with 295 Hoosiers.
                The struggle is real!

New exhaust system exits behind the bumper, allowing us to add "Laguna Seca special" extensions so that we can run this car at the last Miata Reunion event at the legendary track.

Moti

Comment

This thing is just killer!
                  www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Wow! Do we at TrackHQ get to name the car? Let me start...

Black Widow

Widowmaker

MoltenRubber

MEATY meaty tires

Comment

I've referred to it as the Black Beast and Meaty McMeatster, but I doubt either one caught..
                      Moti

Comment

Yeah, Boaty McBoatface never caught on, either.

I respectfully am going to make one suggestion to improve the car: bias-cut the ends of the tailpipes.

Name:	jex-pac31222ss_w.jpg
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	261898
                        www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

The only reason we haven't done it was because of clamping surface for Laguna Seca pipes, otherwise you would've already seen it on the car.
                          Moti

Comment

Working...
                          X