"Alfa Only" Run Group at Willow Springs January 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Alfa Only" Run Group at Willow Springs January 2015

We are working with Anthony Rimicci to get a bunch of Alfas to Willow in January (track date is pending). This will be a time trial run group with limited passing. No need to worry about high horsepower cars or LeMons beaters running with you.

I'll open the discussion as to whether we should keep it strictly Alfa, or possibly "vintage" cars too, like 510s and 2002s. There are a lot of very nice vintage cars out there, and we understand their reluctance to mix it up with some of the track groups. We did a big Alfa reunion for our 50th club anniversary, and we had a huge turnout of Alfas for the TimeTrials sessions, and something like 25 Alfas on the Race grid.

Will post more when we have nailed down the date.
    Last edited by Slaysman; 11-30-2014, 01:27 PM.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

First of all, I don't think you can muster a full run group of Alfas. Wonderful cars in their time, but Alfa has been trying to come back to the USA for about 25 years now, and it hasn't happened yet. We keep hearing it's imminent, but I'm not so sure.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own a late 60's to early 70's GTV. But I wouldn't mislead myself that it would be competitive with modern sports cars.

What constitutes a "vintage" car? I have a 1992 NSX -- would that qualify?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Would you just send an oil cleanup truck on track as part of every session?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
        What constitutes a "vintage" car? I have a 1992 NSX -- would that qualify?
        A great a car as the NSX is, "vintage" does not come to mind.

We have about 300 AROSC members in the Los Angeles area, and a lot of Alfas owned by non-club members. There is some interest in getting a number of them out to a non-VARA type event, and a number of the cars out there are in street trim, as opposed to race prepped.

There is also a lot to be said about having a large field of similar performing cars on the trace together. More fun for the drivers and spectators.

As to Alfa's return to the US? It would be great, but a lot of people have been waiting a long time for that. Will probably be before hell freezes over, or before the Dems and Republicans sit down together to accomplish anything useful. Getting Fiat into the US was the first step, and that actually seems to be doing okay.
        Terry Watson

Comment

Originally posted by hakeem View Post
          Would you just send an oil cleanup truck on track as part of every session?
          Personally, I race an RX-7 so I don't leave rods & pistons on the track.
          Terry Watson

Comment

Originally posted by Slaysman View Post
            Personally, I race an RX-7 so I don't leave rods & pistons on the track.
            That is funny. There are plenty of piston-engined cars that don't leave rods and pistons on the track. As the ASORC Competition Director, you've gone so far as to drive a rotary engined race car to avoid the problems of your Alfa compatriots?

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
            2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
            2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
              As the ASORC Competition Director, you've gone so far as to drive a rotary engined race car to avoid the problems of your Alfa compatriots?
              I like Alfas, and have owned 2 in the past, but neither were track cars. Got involved with the club through a driving school. The Alfa track guys have a real twisted sense of humor, and I thought I had finally found "my people". Next thing you know, I was handling registration, and eventually became Competition Director. Goes to show with the right training and bananas, even a monkey can learn to drive a car. Now I am just waiting for that next "inspired victim" to come along so that I can shake off this title I am stuck with. I can tell you about all the great benefits of volunteering with a race organization…

Actually, I have met people and done things that I never would have thought possible through my association with AROSC. Really a great bunch of dedicated people in the group.
              Terry Watson

Comment

I have run with ASORC several times in the past 11 years since I started tracking cars. Great group, and some of them actually keep '60s and early '70s Alfas running, and even racing, on track. The traditionalists may not be that fast, but they are cool old dudes . . .

I like Alfas, and have owned 2 in the past, but neither were track cars. Got involved with the club through a driving school. The Alfa track guys have a real twisted sense of humor, and I thought I had finally found "my people". Next thing you know, I was handling registration, and eventually became Competition Director. Goes to show with the right training and bananas, even a monkey can learn to drive a car. Now I am just waiting for that next "inspired victim" to come along so that I can shake off this title I am stuck with. I can tell you about all the great benefits of volunteering with a race organization…

Actually, I have met people and done things that I never would have thought possible through my association with AROSC. Really a great bunch of dedicated people in the group.

Comment

It's pretty awesome when there are a bunch of vintage Alfas out at speed.
                  Jack Olsen - 1972 Porsche 911
                  What? An awesome video about me and my car
                  My Corner-By-Corner Guide to Willow Springs
                  My Two-Car Garage's Very Own Website

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Olsen View Post
                    It's pretty awesome when there are a bunch of vintage Alfas out at speed.
                    I agree with Jack! If the promotion of this event starts early like it is perhaps some Alfa's can be coaxed out of retirement. I got one friend I have called today and will try and keep the pressure on. He has the sickness, and an AROSC TT license, I think 11 Alfas in various states of condition.

Comment

Sounds fun! The sooner you pick a date the better. I will be there, as long as I can block it out on my calendar soon.
                      2002 Porsche 911 Targa
                      1967 GTV
                      1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
                      2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Comment

I have a 74 Fiat x1/9. Umm.....

You have good fire crew ?
                        S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                        13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                        17 GT350R
                        03 Miata Club Sport
                        96 NSX
                        06 EVO MR
                        15 Mini Cooper S
                        Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post

61 whp? How about someone just runs behind you with a fire bottle?
                          2002 Porsche 911 Targa
                          1967 GTV
                          1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
                          2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post

We use Advanced Fire & Rescue at Willow. They do an excellent job. They probably carry enough stuff to put out 5 X1/9 fires or more.

Interesting, though. I don't recall seeing an X1/9 fire, but have seen a 914, an MR2, an Evo, RX-7, Cobra replica, Mustang, maybe a couple of others. Don't think I have seen an Alfa though...
                            Terry Watson

Comment

We use Advanced Fire & Rescue at Willow. They do an excellent job. They probably carry enough stuff to put out 5 X1/9 fires or more.

Interesting, though. I don't recall seeing an X1/9 fire, but have seen a 914, an MR2, an Evo, RX-7, Cobra replica, Mustang, maybe a couple of others. Don't think I have seen an Alfa though...
                              You have seen fires in other cars (some of the greatest in my experience are WRX STI and Elise), but not X1/9 because there are so few X1/9s running these days. William is a yoeman for running one. I bought a 1978 X1/9 new, and had fun with that under-powered, but great hadling little car.

Comment

Working...
                              X