X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kapao818
    started a topic Advice for a noob. SoW CW

Advice for a noob. SoW CW

Went to a recent private trackday at Streets of Willow.

Got 1:40.2x as my best time.

YouTube - ‪Session 3 no shift to 4th.wmv‬‏

Sorry for the crappy video quality and sound. no fancy camera.

Just wondering how much more time will / should I be able to drop? Any advice would be helpful. Just want to improve my driving skills as much as possible.
    I drove one of my friend's s2k and I was behind his best time by 5 seconds. I drove another friend's wrx and I was behind his best time by 5 seconds. so i think i need a lot of improvement.

Car info:
    1994 Mazda Miata (base model)
    Harddog roll bar
    15x7.5 Rota Slipstream with 205/50/15 Bridgestone RE-11
    Hawk HP+
    Everything else is pretty much stock (koyo radiator, voodoo shiftknob, and shorty antenna)

Just a couple of questions that's on the top of my head:
    1) How much time is a stock torsen + abs worth at Streets of Willow? My friend with a M-edition was able to get a 1:38.xx with similar mods.
    2) After the back straight, should I have shifted to 4th at the entrance of the chicane section or leave it in 3rd like I did with the video? I did both and I felt that leaving it in 3rd was faster.

Here are some pics of what an awesome job stock suspension does at the track.

thanks in advance guys!

• kapao818
    replied
    i was wondering if i was taking the bowl turn correctly? my friend with a s2k takes a much tighter line than i do.

Leave a comment:

• mlk_f1
    replied
    Originally posted by kapao818 View Post
    so do you run over that burm area on the left side of the corner entry into the skidpad?
    Take curb or not depends on you car. if it upsets the balance dont do it. but if it helps the car rotate and it doesn;t throw off the balance, then use it. I dont remember if i ride that curb, I'm guessin yes, the Elise is pretty good at riding curbs. haha

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
    a tip I've told few. for a car that has decent power. in this map, where the little red marker is. that's the right berm at Skidpad exit.
    proper line is NOT touching the berm. that's the wrong line IMHO.
    proper apex is 2 wheels off like Manly said, or 3 feet left of the berm. both are the right line.
    there is a big bump about 6-8 feet left of the berm (exactly where your loaded left tires are if you put you right wheel near the berm), that's the reason you see a bunch of spins there, and cars having hard time putting power down at Skidpad exit.
    Its probably been more then 2 years since i been to SOW. Back then there are approximately 1-2 feet of rough tarmac inside that curb before it turns to dirt/grass, i dont know if it is still there. But what i meant was i'll use up all of that and almost putting 2 off from there. so we are probably taking about the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• kapao818
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
    My advice- quit worrying about your car's mods and spend your money getting the driver MORE SEAT TIME.
    yup! that's why i haven't really done any major mods and still rolling (literally) on stock suspension. Need to improve my driving skills

Originally posted by tq3z View Post
    no, don't hit any of the berm.

I use Williams line. Feels faster to me and you don't hit that retarded bump/dip in the pavement prior to the skidpad.
    Ok. i'll try both lines. should be fun.

Originally posted by MX5Racer123 View Post
    5 seconds as a beginner is nothing. I got some advice from Goodwin, and this is just talk, not a ride along, and it took 2 seconds off. The next time I got an instructor, a good one, and 2 more off. Your car is very capable, anti-sway bars will probably give you a huge difference. But just keep at it. I chose to do so many track days at the same track, in the same direction for a reason, and I feel it really paid off. I knew the line, didn't get timing, just got to the track, and drove around over and over, same track, same direction, to work on driving. Some guys don't like to do that, but I learn the best like that. Like a free throw in basketball I guess.

I agree with Bellwilliam though, now in slow out fast is not great for me, ultimately you want in fast, out fast, and especially a miata, momentum is key coming out of a corner with very little power at your disposal, or at least from what I have learned. I am still VERY new, I try to chime in on stuff because as a beginner I am just ahead of you, so sometimes you can relate or benifit from another guys advice. Some of the guys here got more track time in a weekend than I get in 3 months, so try to take the info in, and apply it. Seat time is key, gets as much as you can, and keep having fun!
    i'm the same way. i learn by doing it. i have a hard time deciphering data. Maybe i'm not skilled enough yet to apply data.
    i'll always have fun at the track. although it sucks getting passed all the time in the straights. but i like the challenge of trying to keep up with the faster cars in the turns.

Originally posted by Silversprint View Post
    T4 right hander and a little bit on the bowl entry as well. I can hear tire squeal but can't tell from the video if it was front or rear tires.
    haha. i don't think it was tire squeal. it's the crappy audio quality from my camera. but then again i could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• bellwilliam
    replied
    Originally posted by mlk_f1 View Post
    y almost putting 2 off at the second apex curb (marked Red in diagram) is the faster way around.
    [ATTACH]3593[/ATTACH]
    a tip I've told few. for a car that has decent power. in this map, where the little red marker is. that's the right berm at Skidpad exit.
    proper line is NOT touching the berm. that's the wrong line IMHO.
    proper apex is 2 wheels off like Manly said, or 3 feet left of the berm. both are the right line.
    there is a big bump about 6-8 feet left of the berm (exactly where your loaded left tires are if you put you right wheel near the berm), that's the reason you see a bunch of spins there, and cars having hard time putting power down at Skidpad exit.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-05-2011, 08:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bellwilliam
    replied
    I always felt everyone is doing the slow line into the skidpad, which is the one in the OP's video. I dont have data to back this up. But from my experience following ppl, my tighter line into the skidpad and by almost putting 2 off at the second apex curb (marked Red in diagram) is the faster way around. The line I take travel less distance compare to the other. My speed might be slightly slower before braking for T2, but i dont feel its more then the time gain from the off-camber left to coming of of the skidpad.

Yellow line is the one i feel is faster. Red line is Williams line?

I've done back to back data logging. yellow line (before Skidpad) is the faster line.

note I am just referring prior to entry to the Skidpad (exiting the 45 degree right hander on the left instead of right). I don't take a different line in Skidpad whether I take yellow or red line at entry.

with yellow line, you carry more speed (don't have to scrub off speed in a low hp car or lift in a high hp car by going to right), dive in deeper, brake later than red line at 45 degree right hander. you then take Skidpad entry into auto-x style, quick flick left then right. you sacrifice Skidpad entry. but you gain a lot of speed exiting the right hander, which is basically a straight for most cars if you exit on the left.

not sure I explained it well. but basically take an early apex (instead of late apex) at Skidpad entry.

as for line in Skidpad. I think it is highly dependent of the car. how much power you have and if you are able to put the power down. I would take the shortest line but still able to track out at WOT.

edit: I just realized we are talking about 2 different things. I was talking about the first part of your colored lines. before Skidpad. you are talking about exiting Skidpad. I take first part of your yellow line, but take 2nd part dependent of the car, but I try to take the shortest line while still able to put the power down.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-05-2011, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Silversprint
    replied
    i don't believe i was going into the corners too hot. but what corners were you talking about?
    T4 right hander and a little bit on the bowl entry as well. I can hear tire squeal but can't tell from the video if it was front or rear tires.

Leave a comment:

• MX5Racer123
    replied
    5 seconds as a beginner is nothing. I got some advice from Goodwin, and this is just talk, not a ride along, and it took 2 seconds off. The next time I got an instructor, a good one, and 2 more off. Your car is very capable, anti-sway bars will probably give you a huge difference. But just keep at it. I chose to do so many track days at the same track, in the same direction for a reason, and I feel it really paid off. I knew the line, didn't get timing, just got to the track, and drove around over and over, same track, same direction, to work on driving. Some guys don't like to do that, but I learn the best like that. Like a free throw in basketball I guess.

I agree with Bellwilliam though, now in slow out fast is not great for me, ultimately you want in fast, out fast, and especially a miata, momentum is key coming out of a corner with very little power at your disposal, or at least from what I have learned. I am still VERY new, I try to chime in on stuff because as a beginner I am just ahead of you, so sometimes you can relate or benifit from another guys advice. Some of the guys here got more track time in a weekend than I get in 3 months, so try to take the info in, and apply it. Seat time is key, gets as much as you can, and keep having fun!

Leave a comment:

• tq3z
    replied
    so do you run over that burm area on the left side of the corner entry into the skidpad?
    no, don't hit any of the berm.

I use Williams line. Feels faster to me and you don't hit that retarded bump/dip in the pavement prior to the skidpad.

Leave a comment:

• Richard EVO
    replied
    My advice- quit worrying about your car's mods and spend your money getting the driver MORE SEAT TIME.

Leave a comment:

• kapao818
    replied
    I always felt everyone is doing the slow line into the skidpad, which is the one in the OP's video. I dont have data to back this up. But from my experience following ppl, my tighter line into the skidpad and by almost putting 2 off at the second apex curb (marked Red in diagram) is the faster way around. The line I take travel less distance compare to the other. My speed might be slightly slower before braking for T2, but i dont feel its more then the time gain from the off-camber left to coming of of the skidpad.

Leave a comment:

• kapao818
    replied
    Originally posted by Silversprint View Post
    Is that car pushing or is driver going in too hot?
    i don't believe i was going into the corners too hot. but what corners were you talking about?

Leave a comment:

• kapao818
    replied
    Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
    To the OP, I didn't watch your video but the other guys will give better advice on line anyway. All I have to say is just keep getting track time, you'll learn quickly enough. I remember my first track day at and I was getting lost at SoW. Once you get more comfortable, you'll get faster.
    practice makes perfect. but hopefully i don't practice the wrong things.
    oh man. i rode with my friend that has the s2000. i never been to the track before..i have only done autox. i kept getting lost because i was looking at the cones that were setup. so i was getting so lost out on the course. but on my first trackday, having an instructor and being in the beginner group helped me a lot.

Leave a comment:

• kapao818
    replied
    Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
    now you've done quite a few track days, my recommendation is that "in slow, out fast" applies to slow corner leading to a straight (T5 to the Bowl is a straight for a stock powered Miata, so you want to sacrifice T4 for the straight after). But you want "in fast, out slow" in say Chicane, and entry to Skidpad. in corners like Sunset and Sunrise, you want "fast in, fast out, keep up minimum speed".

in my experience, "in slow, out fast" is the reason many intermediate drivers are stuck where they are.
    i think as a beginner, "in slow, out fast" is a sound advice to prevent going too crazy into a corner. but i think in order to get even faster, have to transition to "fast in, faster out". pretty much like what you guys have been telling me to do once i get the lines corrected...maintain more speed throughout the course and corners.
    Last edited by kapao818; 06-05-2011, 04:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kapao818
    replied
    Originally posted by MX5Racer123 View Post
    SOW is a great track to learn on, I did 8 track days there before I even got on another track. As stated above you have the line down pretty good. Your seem to go a little nuts in the same places I use too. In T4, the right hander I turn in a little later than you, I stay to the left, late apex T5 to keep the car straight, and use the line Vagaxt uses going into the bowl. I think the best piece of advice I got in my first couple track days was in slow, out fast. You asked in your first post about shifting into 4th on the straight out of the bowl, and I always get to 4th, after the use to be chicane a quick tap of the brakes and a back down to 3rd for the little left hand turn before the hard left. I have a stock powered miata as well, same brakes, but I do have suspension, and my best lap is 1.34...So you got some time to pick up, but I think you will pick it up fast, you didi really well with all kinds of body roll! Good luck man!
    Thanks for the advice! oh wow 8 trackdays. i think i have 6 trackdays under my belt (2 @ buttonwillow, 4 at SoW). 5 secs...so much time to be lost. haha going to need that luck to get the 5 seconds!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X