Monterey looking for new Laguna Seca management..again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No motorcycles.

Seven events are on the schedule at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca for 2020:

May 1-3, 2020 – Trans Am SpeedFest
    July 10-12, 2020 – MotoAmerica Superbike SpeedFest at Monterey*
    July 23-26, 2020 – Ferrari Challenge & Corse Clienti F1
    August 8-9, 2020 – Monterey Pre-Reunion
    August 13-16, 2020 – Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion
    September 11-13, 2020 – IMSA Monterey SportsCar Championship
    September 18-20, 2020 – IndyCar Firestone Grand Prix of Monterey
    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Sea Otter bicycle festival is in April. I go there and race every year. Week long event. I wonder how/if that will be affected.
      WWW.949RACING.COM
      SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
      But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Not sure about the bicycles. I remember reading somewhere that the World Superbike event was the most lucrative for the track. I went one year back in 2003 or 2004 when I used to ride, and it was happening, but I don't know how it could have outdone the Rolex.
        www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
          Sea Otter bicycle festival is in April. I go there and race every year. Week long event. I wonder how/if that will be affected.
          I think all track should look into bicycles as an added revenue source. I can't think of a safer place to get out and ride and racing on a track would be even better. I have bicycled BRP and the streets and really like it. I wish I could do it more. I wish SCCA would allow us to take bikes on the track after 5pm or before 8am on race weekends. And honestly you can really learn things about a track walking or slowly biking it.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post

I have bicycled BRP and the streets and really like it. I wish I could do it more. I wish SCCA would allow us to take bikes on the track after 5pm or before 8am on race weekends.
            To me the impediment seems to be track management and not the race sanctioning body.

To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Olitho View Post

To me the impediment seems to be track management and not the race sanctioning body.

I think you're spot on. Because the track is owned by the county and managed by another entity, I've heard that there's an element of everyone's in charge, yet no one is in charge. Decisions take a while to be made and there's a roster of people who need to weigh in before those decisions can be made.
              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

The plot thickens.. New FPPC complaint filed over Laguna Seca deal

https://voicesofmontereybay.org/2019...guna-seca-deal
                WWW.949RACING.COM
                SuperMiata

Comment

Wow, that story took a lot of gum-shoe reporting. Really well done.

"If Pook’'s account is correct, the supervisors may have violated the state'’s Brown Act, the open-meeting law that, among other things, bars elected officials from making informal decisions before casting official votes. McKee, who was the county’s chief lawyer before becoming administrative officer, didn’t respond to an email and a call seeking comment on that issue Wednesday."

No response is telling.

The Brown Act is pretty clear about public input on public meetings, and it looks as though the supervisors violated the act. If it comes before a judge, and I wouldn't bet against that happening, this whole saga is going back to square one.
                  www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Yah. According the article, there are three separate instances/bits of evidence that support the accusation of Brown act violation. It'll be pretty hard to get out of that indictment.
                    WWW.949RACING.COM
                    SuperMiata

Comment

All this drama might make for a good movie, except that it's too silly and dismal to make for a good movie.
                      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
                        All this drama might make for a good movie, except that it's too silly and dismal to make for a good movie.
                        Depends on the still to be written ending.
                        Maybe Tesla buys it and the neighbors complain about the driverless cars around town. Maybe the site gets developed and the neighbors complain about the crowds. Maybe the site is abandoned and the neighbors complain about the lack of activity at local businesses. There is only one certainty in this story and that is the the neighbors will complain.
                        -Anthony
                        1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
                        2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque

Comment

Working...
                        X