• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monterey looking for new Laguna Seca management..again

https://www.kion546.com/news/montere...rea/1132501668

WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

I'll take "total shockers" for $200, Alex.
    Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

Egads, again. This seems to be a painfully recurrent search, and I think it's because the entity that owns the facility doesn't manage it, and it's a difficult model for a private enterprise to come in and manage the track.

SCRAMP is all-volunteer for the most part, so you get the effects that typically brings (lack of accountability, territorial workers, etc.) Monterey County needs to create a department that is charged with running the facility, all of it, the campground, the track, et al.
      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
        Egads, again. This seems to be a painfully recurrent search, and I think it's because the entity that owns the facility doesn't manage it, and it's a difficult model for a private enterprise to come in and manage the track.

SCRAMP is all-volunteer for the most part, so you get the effects that typically brings (lack of accountability, territorial workers, etc.) Monterey County needs to create a department that is charged with running the facility, all of it, the campground, the track, et al.
        Agreed. If they are concerned with profitability, sustainability, etc. Any measure to disconnect and let a For Profit, organization run the track present a clear conflict of interest.

Monterey has several valuable cultural, economic and environmental assets they currently manage. I wonder why they are afraid of taking on responsibility for the track?
        WWW.949RACING.COM
        SuperMiata

Comment

Its my favorite track.
          In the last year the blue gators were painted red, and many apron and apex improvements.
          After every winter they fix and improve the water drainage and erosion.
          Turn 3 runoff will be improved for motorcycles.
          Maybe the county wants to make more $$$ income off of it, more concerts, as Tim said "other opportunities".
          IMSA/SCCA Camaros

Comment

Bicycle races, concerts, NASCAR, Xfinity Trucks, festivals, trade events.
            www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

One day Laguna Seca will be a free camping zone for homeless people from San Francisco. I will say to my grand child...in the old days I used to race gas powered cars at Laguna Seca and we had noise limits because dumb people decided to move next to a race track.

Comment

Marshall Pruett, with additional perspective on the subject

https://racer.com/2019/10/25/pruett-...y-in-monterey/
                WWW.949RACING.COM
                SuperMiata

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
                  Amazing! Monterey Board of supervisors sound as talented as any condo home owners association Board of directors. That is some low hanging fruit. More than ever I stand by my post #7. Sad! So sad!

Comment

https://racer.com/2019/10/25/pruett-...y-in-monterey/
                    "Rather than continue to subject the track to the short-term whims of temporary stewards appointed from its board of supervisors or administrative offices, Monterey County needs to hire an expert of its own."

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

From racer.com

SCRAMP to be replaced as manager of Laguna Seca

Although no leading candidates to replace SCRAMP have been named, the ACAO is known to have met or interviewed with a number of parties and individuals to lead Laguna Seca under his direction. Former bidders from the most recent contract cycle in 2017 to former Laguna Seca CEOs have been involved as the mounting effort to part ways with SCRAMP have led to the latest outcome.
                      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

New manager for Laguna Seca announced. SCRAMP is out.

https://racer.com/2019/11/19/montere...-seca-manager/
                        WWW.949RACING.COM
                        SuperMiata

Comment

wonder if A&D knows how to run a racetrack? Funny the greatest value is the unpaid volunteers and no guarantee they will stay with A&D. What a joke! Government involvement = FAIL

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                            wonder if A&D knows how to run a racetrack?
                            One of the articles quotes A&D stating that they will allow the current employees and volunteers to apply for their jobs. I take that as a good sign. Verify everyone is actually qualified for their position and responsibilities. A&D runs hotels, successfully it seems. They probably know squat about racing though. On one hand, that's obviously a liability. OTOH, they bring a fresh perspective and skill set aimed at improving their customer experience. They know they sink or swim with customer experience. That bodes well for fans.

The track, like a fine hotel in a prime location, is a premium "property" that they will collect premium rent on I'd guess. It would follow that track rental fees will not drop. Probably no reason to stir up the hornets nest of residents complaining about sound so probably no increase in open sound days.

Dunno, my guess A&D will be good for the track, community and county but probably no good news for us racers.

WWW.949RACING.COM
                            SuperMiata

Comment

Dunno, my guess A&D will be good for the track, community and county but probably no good news for us racers.

^ This.
                              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Working...
                              X