Buttonwillow Open Test Days?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buttonwillow Open Test Days?

Can you guys educate me about the buttonwillow open test days?
    I'm thinking of going sometime this month with another racer friend so we can mess with the setup of our cars without having to worry about missing track time.

Here is what the website says:
    Open Testing Rates (Some Fridays & Weekends)

Full Day (Begins at 9:00AM)

Full Day Rate WITH an Annual Test Card
    $100 per driver, $75 per car
    Half Day (Begins at 1:00PM)

Half Day Rate WITH an Annual Test Card
    $50 per driver, $50 per car
    Full Day Rate WITHOUT an Annual Test Card
    $125 per driver, $75 per car
    Half Day Rate WITHOUT an Annual Test Card
    $60 per driver, $50 per car

OPEN TEST DAY NOTES:

OPEN TEST Days are open to race prepped cars and street cars. Soft tops, or convertibles must have a roll cage or roll bar. Helmet is required at all times (we have rentals available for $10 per day). Mandatory driver’s meeting for Full Day participants is at 8:30AM in the base of the tower and 12:30PM for Half Day participants.
    Annual Test Card:

The Annual Test Card is available for $75 and it works like a discount card. The card may be used during any non-exclusive, OPEN TEST day (cars only) designated as such by Buttonwillow Raceway Park. A driver with an Annual Test Card receives a $25 discount on a full day and a $10 discount on a half day at each OPEN TEST. There are approximately 20 OPEN TESTS held annually.
    Are there corner workers? How many cars usually show up? Any restrictions on using Hot Pit for things like fuel or tire temp readings? Cash or card? Shut down time? Snack bar? garages? tire shop?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how these work.
    -Anthony
    1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
    2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque

wondering about some of these as well...

i would assume before a race weekend that the test days are packed...

i'm trying to make the open test day on the 17th #1 CCW

Comment

Taken from the Cal Club web site

"Hello Everyone!

Who has a race car that is getting dusty? Fontana was nearly two months ago and we are quickly approaching our annual Cal Club Labor day race at Buttonwillow Raceway Park. Don't forget it is a double RATIONAL this year. On the fence about going to the Runoffs? Here is your chance to score last minute points! The configuration Cal Club will be running in September is #25A CW. On Sunday, August 12th we will have an OPEN TEST Day and we will be running #25A CW. This is a rare WEEKEND test day so come on out and get tuned up for Labor day!

We actually have 4 OPEN TEST dates during the month of August. The dates and configurations are as follows:

Saturday 8/4 Configuration #13 CW
      Sunday 8/12 Configuration #25A CW
      Friday 8/17 Configuration #1CCW
      Friday 8/31 Configuration #25A CW

Also, it is not too early to place your tire order for the Labor day event. We carry Goodyear, Hoosier, Toyo, American Racer, Hankook and Avon/Cooper. We discount the mounting and balancing services 50% on all new tires purchases from our tire shop. Place your order by emailing tires@buttonwillowraceway.com or by calling 661-764-5333

Mike Miserendino
      Buttonwillow Raceway"

Comment

There will be corner workers and emergency services. Most of the facilities are usually open; it's best to call and find out what will be open for the test date you wish to attend.

Comment

The Buttonwillow open test Fridays are usually run by Warren. Follow his rules carefully. On the Friday before SCCA or NASA race weekends, it will be mostly fully prepped race cars, but I think they let street cars out. Sometimes they have two run groups, open wheel and closed wheel cars. Track time is basically unlimited. There is only a skeleton flagging crew. I can't remember if there's an ambulance or fire rescue, but the do have a tow truck.

Break even on the test card is 3 open test days per year. If you don't think you will do at least 4 open test days this calendar year, don't buy the test card.
          The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
          1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
          2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
          2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

IIRC there is no ambulance or fire crew at hand, just Warren driving around in his yellow pickup.

Comment

on one of the open test days I didn't see any corner workers.. there's definitely no ambulance either because I rode around to look for one.
              -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Comment

Like Richard said, how crowded it gets usually depends if SCCA/NASA is running that weekend. Sometimes its a few cars, sometimes a lot more. And sometimes they get a lot of street cars. Unfortunately, some of those street car drivers can be new comers. As for the schedule, they decide it when the drivers show up. If theyre all racers they usually make it a true open test day with no sessions. But if enough street cars show up, or if there are a bunch of open wheel cars, they turn it into alternating sessions. They usually only have 2 corner workers, and the last few times i was there Mike was the one running the test day in the yellow truck. And im pretty sure hes the only tow vehicle/safety crew. Check with BRP, but i dont think they have an ambulance or fire rescue.
                Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
                Robispec
                Girodisc
                SCM
                APR

Comment

I'm most concerned about a situation where oil is dropped on the track and I don't know about it because of the lack of corner work and I slide off. Then 10 seconds later, another car slides off at the same place and hits me.

Besides that, I imagine you could get by with a corner work at the cotton corners and phil hill at the very least. Everything else can be seen before you get there if you're looking.
                  -Anthony
                  1991 Miata - Trogdor SuperMiata
                  2011 Ram 2500 - all the torque

Comment

Originally posted by b3d3g1 View Post
                    I'm most concerned about a situation where oil is dropped on the track and I don't know about it because of the lack of corner work and I slide off. Then 10 seconds later, another car slides off at the same place and hits me.

Besides that, I imagine you could get by with a corner work at the cotton corners and phil hill at the very least. Everything else can be seen before you get there if you're looking.
                    That is a risk you have to be willing to take because that is how it operates. Unfortunately, most HPDE guys who show up to run a test day dont really understand that.
                    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
                    Robispec
                    Girodisc
                    SCM
                    APR

Comment

I think the number of corner workers they have depends on what they expect the turnout to be. Sometmes it's basically no one, but most times it's someone at the two hills at each end and then someone at start/finish.

I think there's one this Sunday but the forecast is for the temps to be roughly the same as the surface of the Sun and I don't think they expect many folks to show up.

Steve

Comment

The all time best driver's meeting at a Buttonwillow open test Friday event was at a January event when it had been raining for the past 2 weeks and it was all muddy as hell. Warren said "if you go off at the lake inside the Buttonhook, keep your engine running so we can find you from the bubbles coming up." That won't be a problem this month.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                        2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                        2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

One time I went to a Buttonwillow Friday open test in my Miata race car. I was the only car there the whole day. So I got an exclusive for $175.

Comment

Open Days sound great. Need to start taking more Friday's off and coming out to Buttonwillow.

Like previously asked, are hot pits open to reading tire temps? Refueling? Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by comradefks View Post
                              Open Days sound great. Need to start taking more Friday's off and coming out to Buttonwillow.

Like previously asked, are hot pits open to reading tire temps? Refueling? Etc.
                              Everything is open. Gas/Tire shop/Pits. No one's really there.

That being said don't go to these. I like when no one is there but me and I'd like to keep it that way. Bastards.
                              Do you understand?

Comment

Working...
                              X