Formula Car @ Race City

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula Car @ Race City

I attended an Evening Track Day Sept. 3, 2009 through Allen Berg Racing Schools.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVQhQMBQBgk[/YOUTUBE]

Pictures by Kyle Ho.

Mark Lin
    "This is how I look at the tuner/ricer/show car scene... A race car is always a show car but a show car is never a race car."

Sponsored by:VEX Performance and OS Giken

That looks very cool! How did you like it?

Details....we need details!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLevin View Post
      That looks very cool! How did you like it?

Details....we need details!

Steve
      Haha sure, it was a great experience.
      I knew that driving formula cars was tough, but man do those cars beat you up or what. I've never felt so tired (mentally and physically) after 30min driving sessions before. These cars definitely take a lot out of you.

The track is really bumpy which made it tough to be smooth. However, that made it a really good learning experience and I improved because of it. The next time attack I went to (in my own car) I managed to improve my personal best by 0.4 seconds.

Allen Berg Racing Schools also use MoTeC data aquisition which is INCREDIBLE program to help you improve by analyzing the data gathered. It's my first time using a system like this and I learned so many things I don't think I could've from just driving alone for sure.

I didn't attend the driving school though so we didn't go into much depth for the analysis. However, we're given the MoTeC program and data aquired so I can analyze it on my own time.

I had to sign a $10,000 liability because I didn't take the formula car school and I've never been in a formula car before so obviously I didn't want to push too hard.

My best lap time was 1:43.051 and Allen Berg (for those that don't know, he used to race in Formula 1), he's run 1:30s in the same vehicles.

One thing I learned about these cars is they do not like trail braking at all. I was trail braking with maybe 5-10 degrees of steering input and the back end wanted to come out. I corrected it pretty easily, I just backed off brakes and straightened the wheel.
      Mark Lin
      "This is how I look at the tuner/ricer/show car scene... A race car is always a show car but a show car is never a race car."

Sponsored by:VEX Performance and OS Giken

Comment

Working...
      X