2016 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb

Been seeing some very interesting vehicles on Social Media at Pikes Peak the last few days. My friend Roy in Narvaez Racing Evo unfortunately crashed, and a just yesterday a VERY close call by the Evasive FRS - very quick reflexes to keep it on the tarmac.
    SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Coming off a victory at LeMans with Porsche, Romain Dumas adds a PPIHC win to his resume:

“I pushed hard early in the race and didn’t make any mistakes, which put us in a great position for the last part of the course,” Dumas said. “We didn’t get to practice the upper part of the course (due to engine troubles on Thursday) so I was being quite careful on the last section. It has been a dream to win both of these races, and now it has come true.

Read more: Romain Dumas gets overall will at 2016 Pikes Peak Hill Climb

Romain Dumas gets overall will at 2016 Pikes Peak Hill Climb

Click image for larger version

Name:	hillclimb-pikes-peak-2016-30-norma-m20-rd-limited-romain-dumas-takes-the-win-600x330.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	232318
    Last edited by Johns_EvoIXSE; 06-27-2016, 04:20 PM.
    SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Was able to find the live timing results here: That's it for 2016. Thanks for watching. We'll see you next year!
      SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Freaky

WWW.949RACING.COM
        SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
        But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

It's crazy how much you can hear the chassis flex since the EV motors are so quiet. Creaks sounds just like they do in a boat.
          SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

The run did seem quite ponderous near the top, and that spin probably killed morale. It was an impressive run otherwise. It was interesting to see how loose the car seemed at higher speeds, especially in light of that monstrous rear wing. That driver is very brave; I would have dialed in extra understeer at high speeds, especially for this track.

I miss when this track surface was mostly dirt. That was a spectacle.
            2001 MR2-Eleven
            Experience Points: 21
            Youtube Channel.

Comment

Interesting perspective from one of the legends of Pikes Peak.

In 1997, multi-time Pikes Peak champion Rod Millen told the Colorado weekly paper Westword that paving the road would be dangerous. "It'd be like running the Long Beach Grand Prix with no barriers between the track and the spectators, and as far as the average tourist goes, the gravel slows them down. It sends the correct message. From a general safety standpoint, it's better to leave it as it is."

That didn't happen.

Snow says paving the road forever changed how racers have to approach the challenge. "The dirt was consistent, it would build up in corners and slow the cars down." The pavement is narrower, he says, by as much as 20 feet in some corners, "So we've seen cars go off in places we never used to see them leave the road."

Since they can't change the surface, Snow says organizers have addressed safety.

"We have the strictest roll cage regs in motorsport ," he explains. They've had Nascar entrants they've rejected, forcing teams to go get much burlier tubing. "In Nascar they hit the wall, and maybe another car. All of that's designed to move or to let the car slide. Here you might hit a tree or a rock. That's not going to give way." The tighter regulations probably saved the life of Jeremy Foley and co-pilot Yuri Kouznetsov in 2012 when their Mitsubishi Evo went off the track in a corner called Devil's Playground, rolling 14 times."They'd failed their tech inspection," before the race, Snow says. We sent them to get a better cage built, and Foley and Kouznetsov walked away from a crash that could have killed them."

Paving Pikes Peek Made the Race More Dangerous - History of Pikes Peak Hill Climb Race
              Last edited by Johns_EvoIXSE; 06-29-2016, 05:03 PM.
              SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Winner vid.
                Norma M20, 610kg with driver, all wheel drive and a 600hp turbocharged Honda K20.

Name:	romain-dumas-ppihc-norma-m20-rd-2016-10_1440x655c.jpg
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	232326
                Less powah is better

Comment

Because **** happens on a race track. Glad my buddy Roy walked away from this one.

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	232327
                  SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Berm Shot!

Originally posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
                    Because **** happens on a race track. Glad my buddy Roy walked away from this one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10266[/ATTACH]
                    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

bloody hell. i wonder where is the rest of that sequence of shots. Roy is god damn lucky to be alive. Its a steep 80deg drop off cliff on the other side of that turn.
                      Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
                      1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
                      2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
                      2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
                      1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
                      1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
                      1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
                      1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
                      1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
                      1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
                      2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Comment

Working...
                      X