Collapse

TrackHQ iRacing Series

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone using an Oculus or other vr hardware instead of monitor(s) for IRacing? Any feedback?

Mark
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

• Originally posted by markn View Post
      Is anyone using an Oculus or other vr hardware instead of monitor(s) for IRacing? Any feedback?

Mark
      Yep, I'm all VR for sim since late 2014. It greatly improves the sensation of speed for me, but also the immersion is WAY better. When I was using single monitor I had tunnel vision issues in real life. With VR I spend all winter looking around with my head and eyes and I'm much better about it in real life now.

Performance vs. visual quality is still a struggle. I can generally get 90 FPS on my rig, but I'm getting ready for the Sebring 12 hour and with all the pit equipment on the front straight and a ton of cars on track my PC starts to struggle.

Also, none of the current VR headsets really get rid of pixelation, or Screen Door Effect (SDE), which is a bit distracting. Literally looks like you're peering through a screen door. I've learned to ignore it, especially since the enjoyment & immersion level is so massively above the single monitor that I had before.

FWIW the guy in the Red Bull car in that battle is also in VR. I am 100% sure that if either of us were on a single monitor that battle wouldn't have been possible. I'd link one of my twitch stream recordings, but it only shows 50-60% of what I can see in the headset so it looks incredibly underwhelming...

Comment

• Doc, which headset do you use? Do you have a strong preference? iRacing mentions both Oculus Rift and HTC VIVE on their site.
        2002 Porsche 911 Targa
        1967 GTV
        1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
        2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ETK View Post
          Doc, which headset do you use? Do you have a strong preference? iRacing mentions both Oculus Rift and HTC VIVE on their site.
          I'm using the Rift, mostly because I got a great deal on it. No real preference. Supposedly the Vive fits glasses better and there's an upgraded model of the Vive with wireless which is a game changer. Useless for sim racing, but for every other VR game it would be amazing.

Comment

Working...
          X