Competing in GTV Class with Optima Ultimate Street Car [Video]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competing in GTV Class with Optima Ultimate Street Car [Video]

Anyone here participate in the Optima's Search for the Ultimate Street Car? I put together this YouTube episode of my competition in the recent event at Fontana, CA.

For those unfamiliar with the event there are 5 segments to the competition. Time attack on the road course, autocross, speed stop, road rally and Design and Engineering. You score points in each category to determine the overall winner. They also televise the show on MavTV and the new season has already started.

https://www.autoxandtrack.com/

Hi Chad and welcome to TrackHQ.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

I think I've seen it in the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Olitho View Post
        Hi Chad and welcome to TrackHQ.
        Thanks. I've lurked on this site for years. Though in recent years I've done lot more autocross than road course driving. Hoping to change that with the 1967 Road Race Mustang that I bought. It was supposed to be turnkey race car but of course wasn't. Hoping to use it with VARA and NASA American Iron if I can get all the many problems sorted.

I made an episode of the first time I got to drive the Mustang and try and shake it down at an autocross. Well first time after having to rebuild the whole engine which was worn out. Beware of good deals of the internet lol!

Comment

Optima challenge is a weird event.

It's about street cars, but most of the top placing street cars have cages, tube chassis, sequential gearboxes, arguably non-street car items.
          They put a lot of points into design/engineering... which is ridiculous for a competition that's about the fastest street car.

Best thing about it is the televised aspect. Gives a bit more publicity to legit motorsports.
          4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
            Optima challenge is a weird event.

It's about street cars, but most of the top placing street cars have cages, tube chassis, sequential gearboxes, arguably non-street car items.
            They put a lot of points into design/engineering... which is ridiculous for a competition that's about the fastest street car.

Best thing about it is the televised aspect. Gives a bit more publicity to legit motorsports.
            It's a unique event for sure. I think any series that wants to emphasize street car performance by competing on a racetrack is going to inherently have compromises. It's roots are in SEMA quality show cars and figuring out which could perform as good as they look. The series has evolved a ton from those early days but it's format is still rooted in that concept. And it's hard to argue that the quality of cars and level of media exposure doesn't attrack far more sponsorship interest than typical club level or grass roots level motorsports. I didn't live through the racing of the 60's and 70's but it reminds me a lot of the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday mantra." This series gives an unique outlet for the aftermarket manufactures to showcase their product.

So while I don't care for how much D&E has affected results, I don't think it can be entirely eliminated and it's hard to balance. Overall, I think they've done a decent job at it.

Comment

Working...
            X