Miller's First ST6 Race Weekend - WSIR 3/16-17/2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller's First ST6 Race Weekend - WSIR 3/16-17/2019

Race 1 posted. Race 2 will follow shortly.

Long video, but I put in commentary for my thoughts during the race. Thrilling tight 4-way battle for the win all the way through. From P4 to P2 (unofficially), losing by a car length, but won at impound.

From the start to about Lap 5-6, I was by myself, then the 3-way battle happened in front and I was able to latch on for draft/bumpdraft battles. Then the leader makes one big mistake, falls behind, but was on my butt 2-3 laps later while I was busy hanging on to the other 2 directly in front. Many dummies were sold, late braking duels happen, and even a side-to-side contact on the last lap to determine the winner.

It was one of the most stressful sprint races in a long while for me, but it was epic.
    Driving to the limit is my goal.
    Winning with Team 949 Racing is merely the result.
    2013 NASA TTD National Champion
    NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill Winner: 2011 E2 Class & 2012 E1 Class.
    Multiple wins in NASA PT and WERC series, with many more to come.

Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

"Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

That was exciting. Good driving.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Nice! Probably could have snagged the win on protest too.

Comment

Originally posted by Olitho View Post
        That was exciting. Good driving.
        Thanks. Years in Maxxis Supermiata Cup upped my sprint racing dogfight skills.

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
        Nice! Probably could have snagged the win on protest too.
        Actually, the win was for the leader being underweight.

Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

"Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

Comment

Right, I saw the bit about the dq. But the race was likely won the moment you got bumped off, I'm thinking Shawn wouldn't have been terribly impressed with contact there.

Comment

Right, I saw the bit about the dq. But the race was likely won the moment you got bumped off, I'm thinking Shawn wouldn't have been terribly impressed with contact there.
            Wouldn't that be considered a "no-fault racing incident" since it was side-by-side with both cars coming out of T4?
            Last edited by MikeColangelo; 03-21-2019, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeColangelo View Post

Wouldn't that be considered a "no-fault racing incident" since it was side-by-side with both cars coming out of T4?
              Correct per NASA CCR. I agree, and believe it to be the case. Just hard racing.

25.4.2 Punting / Passing in Corners
              The term “punting” is defined as nose to tail (or side-of-the-nose to side-of-the-tail) contact, where the leading car
              is significantly knocked off of the racing line. Once the trailing car has its front wheel next to the driver of the other
              vehicle, it is considered that the trailing car has a right to be there. And, that the leading driver must leave the
              trailing driver enough “racing room.” In most cases, “racing room” is defined as “at least three quarters of one car
              width.” If adequate racing room is left for the trailing car, and there is incidental contact made between the cars,
              the contact will be considered “side-to-side.” In most cases, incidental side-to-side contact is considered to be
              “just a racing incident.” If, in the case of side-to-side contact, one of the two cars leaves the racing surface
              (involuntarily) then it may still be considered “a racing incident.”

Comment

The first tap looked like incidental, the second tap looked like a "get out of my way" tap.
                99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

noted. Next time I think im getting passed, I'll be sure to have a "racing incident" that puts the passing car's laden tires into the dirt.

Comment

they can always use the catch all - "unsportman like conduct" for penalty.

If I were the other car. after the contact that was clearly my fault. I would of let you pass, then fight again.
                    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                    17 GT350R
                    03 Miata Club Sport
                    96 NSX
                    06 EVO MR
                    15 Mini Cooper S
                    Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Race 2 finally up. Epic battle for P3 for the whole race. Clean racing until 17:00, where I'm not sure what went wrong for me to be run off the track 3 times, but I think I was trying my best to race cleanly and fairly. Race ended with a photo finish and unofficially a tie according to timing (to the 1/1000th second)!

Comment

Wow, I'm surprised by how aggressive the other Miata was for a couple of laps. Are you down on power? He seemed to have a lot more power than you. Nice driving though and way to keep going all the way to the end!
                        99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                        '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Possible the other car was trying to assert its rights to pick the line as the car being passed and getting frustrated on that front. That part of the nasa rules has always been a little wacky.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                            Wow, I'm surprised by how aggressive the other Miata was for a couple of laps. Are you down on power? He seemed to have a lot more power than you. Nice driving though and way to keep going all the way to the end!
                            110whp, so yes. More will be on the way soon.

Comment

Possible the other car was trying to assert its rights to pick the line as the car being passed and getting frustrated on that front. That part of the nasa rules has always been a little wacky.
                              I never liked the 3/4 car width rule and having to define right to space as up to the driver's door. It only encourages sketchy chops and contact that would otherwise be avoidable.

Comment

Working...
                              X