• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife's car, no **** boxes.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Comment

Add a zero to you budget and buy a Cadillac CTS-V Wagon!

"Hey Honey, it is only 556 horsepower."

Click image for larger version

Name:	cts-v-wagon-race-car-wing-lede.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	228612
      To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

See P7 in the list below:

2013 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car - Motor Trend

Comment

I owned an IS300 for 6 years. That car is bomb-proof. I put 140k on the car before selling it to a friend of mine that put another 40k on it before giving it to his mother, who is still driving it today with over 200k on the clock. Just do the normal toyota maintenance every 90k (plugs, timing belt, and since youre in there waterpump). Brakes are oversized for the chassis and excellent, motor isnt that hot on fuel economy (25mpg on a good day) but its torquey and a non turbo 2JZ will last until just after the apocalypse so repair costs could make up for the lower MPG. The only downside is the wagon is a tad hard to come by. As for comfort, I did a number of road trips in mine and always was comfortable.

The downsides are the interior dash plastics scratch easily on the earlier years (bad for children in the car), and the sedan has a laughable trunk opening (its big inside but you cant get anything INTO the trunk), as well as no fold down seats in the back. Neither of those are issues on the wagon obviously.

I only sold it because I upgraded to a CTS-V wagon.

Comment

Thanks, man! I wanted to hear this.

The Sportcross IS hard to find, but they do appear from time time between here and ATL. We tested one when we lived in SOCAL, it was yellow. :/ My wife likes flashy colors and she has the lead foot to match. A CTS-V would be really great, but it's out of our range and she has no fear of big HP or getting the car loose. Not exactly a good combination.
            Yer pal,
            Force

Comment

If you commit to finding a decent IS300 wagon, and you don't mind driving a long way to get it or having it shipped, you can find one.
              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Too bad these are hard to come by in the states.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	228613

...then you could be an E30 family

Comment

When you can find one for sale in Canada, those usually are pretty pricey, too. I would love to have had one.
                  www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

German touring wagons are my favorite DD cars. I'd buy a M5, RS4 or RS6 wagon if BWM or Audi would import them with a manual transmission. Audi stopped with the S4 6MT in 2008 and BMW with the 535ix in 2010. The 328ix is available, but it hardly qualifies with only 240hp. The allroad is the only current wagon from Audi and hardly qualifies (auto only). Too bad not a new B8 or C7 S or R model. Some of the new BMW diesel motors are interesting too. It's not the manufactures fault for not importing them. American's don't buy enough of them when they do. The sell numbers are only in the low hundreds each year. And it's expensive to federalize. Face it, most Americans have sh-ty taste in cars.

If it weren't for the 25 year ban we'd be able to import something like an e60 m5 touring with 500hp and 6MT. We should be appalled that we're deprived of this fine German engineering in the states. Cadillac is on the right track with the powertrain, but the terrible aesthetics look like GM crashed a Chevy Aveo with a Buick Lacrosse and the resulting angular crash wreckage was used for the CTS design. Not pretty, but still awesome mechanically.

I recently purchased a B7 Audi S4 Avant 6MT in great shape and low miles. One of a few hundred 6MT B7 avants imported to US. One of 17 in that color/trim that year. That sucks that they didn't sell more. It takes persistence to find the right one, and swift action to buy it, but they are out there. As impractical as they are mechanically, it's a fantastic car.

Comment

^^^ I too bemoan the lack of manual gearbox cars available in the US now, not just wagons. I had a B6 S4 6MT sedan I bought new in 2004. Audi clutches are bizarre. They weigh a ton, and the pedal actuation is way too light and numb, with too long travel. I recently test drove a new S5 6MT at an Audi dealer. Same exact clutch feel as in my '04 S4.

That BMW no longer offers an M5 (sedan or wagon) with a manual, is almost as much of a crime as the new 991 GT3 not being available with a stick. Let's face it, only a very small percentage of American drivers who can afford new cars like the ones I mention want a manual. They are rich, lazy, and not true driving enthusiasts.

Mercedes hasn't offered a manual gearbox in any car in the USA since the 1970s, with one or two minor exceptions in bottom level cars (I remember some crappy supercharged bottom of the line hatchback coupe, name I can't remember, had a manual in the late 80s or early 90s). The other German manufacturers have caught up with Mercedes' cynical (but true) view of US drivers.
                      Last edited by Richard EVO; 09-12-2013, 06:15 PM.
                      The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
                      1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                      2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                      2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

Originally posted by suki101 View Post
                        Too bad these are hard to come by in the states.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6134[/ATTACH]

...then you could be an E30 family
                        This has actually crossed my mind. I spend a lot of time in Buffalo and have friends in Toronto. NC is pretty easy to register cars, too. I would probably stay with the Sportcross or E39 for the parts availabilty and service, though.
                        Yer pal,
                        Force

Comment

That's true of the Audi clutches. Quite numb.

I'd love am amg wagon. But as you said, there's one disappointing flaw.

There's no question that a good dct is quicker than a skilled human. But quicker isn't better in a street car. The Germans have lost the plot, and so have the buyers of these cars. Enjoying a great drive isn't just about punching an accelerator like an on/off button and letting traction control do the rest. It's the joy of rowing through the gears after a great corner. It's strange that buyers spend so much on these cars only to deprive themselves the pleasure of driving them.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanB View Post

If it weren't for the 25 year ban we'd be able to import something like an e60 m5 touring with 500hp and 6MT. .
                            I am on a path of creating one.If one is mechanically inclined and willing to send a few thousands $$$ of leftover parts the price my be quite tempting.

Comment

I have seen a couple of Passat wagons sell for less than $10K. They are not as fancy as what you are looking for however they are usually newer and have fewer miles.

Volkswagen : Passat 2.0T in Volkswagen | eBay Motors
                              Elise
                              MR2 Spyder
                              Mazda RX7 FD
                              Porsche 911E

Comment

what about a Volvo v70 wagon. turbo 5 cylinder. or a v70R if you can find one with a manual trans.

Comment

Working...
                                X