Touring wagon for the wife?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touring wagon for the wife?

So, I put my tow vehicle plans on hold. My wife is considering the need for another DD. It is currently a '99 Miata.

She drives to 2-3 appointments on average to meet with clients. (can't be a ****box like I prefer to drive)
    We have a large dog. (70# greyhound)
    We need a good road trip car, something that can rip off 800 miles in a day without leaving us feel like we ran a marathon.
    She doesn't want an SUV.
    "About 20 mpg is good for me, more if possible," she says.
    Budget ~$8-10k

The usual suspects:
    Lexus IS 300 SportCross - I like this car, great quality, "feh!" gas mileage. I don't know how good this car is to travel in long distances,.
    BMW e46 3 series wagon - Problematic automatic, would go with a manual - like finding a unicorn. No AWD wanted. Love this car, but I know the repair issues (cooling, subframe, etc.)
    BMW e39 5 series wagon - Same as above, Might be a bit large. I would probably try to find a 528iT.
    M-B E320 Wagon - Good friend recommends the 3.2 V6 for less issues, still problematic, says we should look at the E-class
    M-B C320 Wagon - Looks like an egg on the back, nice features, 03-05 models are the ones to get apparently.
    Mazda 3 5 dr - My wife likes this car, I have concerns about whether or not I could stand driving it 12 hours straight without wanting to tear my spine out.

If any of your has experience with any of those cars, let me know. Any other recommendations or considerations would be appreciated! Would consider a WRX, but hard to find a decent one in that price range. She didn't seem too keen on the Forester. Discuss.
    Yer pal,
    Force

How does your greyhound weigh 70 lbs!
    Do you understand?

Comment

Are you asking about BMW station wagons?
      I had all 3 generations station wagons sold here E34,E39 and E60.Still have the E39 and E60.The 2000 528i is a real hero-I was running my business with it for 3 years,I moved my house and shop with it,and I did a lor of remodeling and builidng in the house for 3 years.My son drove it for 2 years and even some pretty extensive damage(I mean,negligence)it still runs strong.Relatively lightweight,very strong and responsive engine and transmission,sport package means nice stiffened and lowered suspension.You can load 500-700 lbs without even feeling it.I have delivered more than a few engines with it.But not examples are so trouble-free,so it is a question of luck.Even today,if i find a very nice and preserved 95 525i station wagon I will buy it in a heartbeat.If you need more details please dont hesitate to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by tq3z View Post
        How does your greyhound weigh 70 lbs!
        Real retired racing dog, not a whippet. She's big for a female. She's a fatty. No, not really.
        Last edited by Force McCocken; 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM.
        Yer pal,
        Force

Comment

Originally posted by bawareca View Post
          Are you asking about BMW station wagons?
          I had all 3 generations station wagons sold here E34,E39 and E60.Still have the E39 and E60.The 2000 528i is a real hero-I was running my business with it for 3 years,I moved my house and shop with it,and I did a lor of remodeling and builidng in the house for 3 years.My son drove it for 2 years and even some pretty extensive damage(I mean,negligence)it still runs strong.Relatively lightweight,very strong and responsive engine and transmission,sport package means nice stiffened and lowered suspension.You can load 500-700 lbs without even feeling it.I have delivered more than a few engines with it.But not examples are so trouble-free,so it is a question of luck.Even today,if i find a very nice and preserved 95 525i station wagon I will buy it in a heartbeat.If you need more details please dont hesitate to ask.
          AWESOME. I love the styling and options with the BMWs. The M-B are foreign to me. You are the 3rd or 4th person I have heard from to recommend a 528. Are there specific versions to stay away from? I know about the automatic trannys in the e46, were those in the e39s? LOVE the e46 styling and size, hate the litany of issues I read about.
          Yer pal,
          Force

Comment

I have not heard good things about the 03-05 Mercedes-Benzes. That was when MB was suffering through some poor quality ratings. Once the put the engineers back in charge (instead of accountants), things got better.
            www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Why a wagon and not a bigger sedan?
              Elise
              MR2 Spyder
              Mazda RX7 FD
              Porsche 911E

Comment

Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post
                AWESOME. I love the styling and options with the BMWs. The M-B are foreign to me. You are the 3rd or 4th person I have heard from to recommend a 528. Are there specific versions to stay away from? I know about the automatic trannys in the e46, were those in the e39s? LOVE the e46 styling and size, hate the litany of issues I read about.
                2000 and up is the year for E39,so it is only 2000 for 528it.E39 and E46 use the same transmissions and I always wondered why they break early in E46 and almost never in E39.I recently guessed the answer:E39 is using rather large heat exchanger in front of the condenser fo rcooling the tranny fluid.E46 has engine coolant to tranny fluid heat exchanger,which means the tranny is always hottttt.And I dont recommend E46 to anyone,except the M3 of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Silversprint View Post
                  Why a wagon and not a bigger sedan?
                  Dog, cargo, etc.
                  Yer pal,
                  Force

Comment

Anyone had a long roadtrip in the IS300? I have driven one, but didn't get more than 15 minutes behind the wheel.
                    Yer pal,
                    Force

Comment

How about a Saab 9-3 Sportcombi or Subaru Legacy GT? Both are very safe cars.
                      99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                      '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Mazda6 Wagon if you can find one?

Mazda 6 Wagon - Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

I would say Protege5 like Brett but they probably ride harsher than what you are looking for.

Comment

Volvo wagon. Indestructible tank and if you get the turbo they are fun too !
                          2015 civic si sedan FB6 - Corner Speed Tuning 9th gen project
                          "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                            How about a Saab 9-3 Sportcombi or Subaru Legacy GT? Both are very safe cars.
                            A lot of insurance companies are jacking the rates on the Saabs because the cost to replace/fix them in the event of an accident is nearly impossible.

Originally posted by jrx13 View Post
                            Mazda6 Wagon if you can find one?

Mazda 6 Wagon - Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

I would say Protege5 like Brett but they probably ride harsher than what you are looking for.
                            I will look into that one! Thanks!

Originally posted by crzywhiteman01 View Post
                            Volvo wagon. Indestructible tank and if you get the turbo they are fun too !
                            I wish! I love the V50...LOVE. IT. but the gremlins on those is a letdown.
                            Yer pal,
                            Force

Comment

Buy a 245 Turbo wagon and then spend the rest of your budget on making it awesome.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X