• Show
Clear All

• Pikes Peak Surprise

Rhys Miller's Bentley beat them all.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ion-car-record

Not bad for a boat
    SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

It is surprising. All that weight - uphill . . .

Comment

Some Willow Springs video footage from their pre-race testing is in the link below:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...tal-gt-record/
        Last edited by Loose Caboose; 07-02-2019, 12:29 PM.

Comment

It's amazing what they're doing with heavy cars these days.
          www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
            It's amazing what they're doing with heavy cars these days.

True dat! It is amazing what GM did with the ZL1 camaro that us poor people can afford. That thing is a pig!

Comment

Diminishing returns to weight reduction?

I'm sure this is too simple minded; but, past a point, it is probably more cost efficient to add horsepower rather than subtract weight, i.e., adding 80 hp with boost being cheaper than reducing vehicle weight by 640 pounds in a 300 hp, 3,000 lb car.
              Last edited by Loose Caboose; 07-04-2019, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Caboose View Post
                Diminishing returns to weight reduction?

I'm sure this is too simple minded; but, past a point, it is probably more cost efficient to add horsepower rather than subtract weight, i.e., adding 80 hp with boost being cheaper than reducing vehicle weight by 640 pounds in a 300 hp, 3,000 lb car.
                Maybe not too simplistic. Weight puts vertical load on a tire, and vertical load is grip.
                www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Buuut..... That extra vertical load is never enough to offset the extra effort needed to accelerate the extra mass

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post

Maybe not too simplistic. Weight puts vertical load on a tire, and vertical load is grip.
                    Um, that's not how it works. If the goal was to remain stationary, then more mass per contact patch area would win. The goal however, it to accelerate that mass laterally and longitudinally, via those contact patches. There is a very narrow speed range where, power given as a constant, the heavier car will produce less wheelspin and accelerate harder. But overall, lighter weight always wins.

You may note that NASA ST classing with baseline power to weight ratios begins to penalize lighter cars as you scroll down the table. That is the correct way to equalize for the advantage the lighter car has even at the same power to weight.

Rhys Millen comes from could be fairly called, a Pikes Peak dynasty, his dad Rod having won it many times over the last 30 years. They know that mountain better than anyone. About 25 years ago they branched out from motorsports in to specialty offroad vehicle development, military and industrial. They have some serious design and engineering cred. I worked there for a few years in the early 90's. Kudos for getting sponsors to let them do the Bentley thing, silk purse from a sows ear for sure.
                    WWW.949RACING.COM
                    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

I knew that. I was just testing.
                      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Working...
                      X