Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saleen Announces Saleen Cup

https://saleen.com/saleen-cup/

The Saleen Cup is the first ever professional “arrive and drive” event, with all 20 cars track-ready and maintained by Saleen. This series offers prospective race-caliber drivers and enthusiasts a turnkey, once-in-a-lifetime racing opportunity where all cars are equal—allowing the best driver to showcase his/her skills.

The Saleen Cup Series takes place during second half of the Blancpain GT World Challenge America:
    • Sonoma Raceway (Calif.) – June 7-9, 2019
    • Portland International Raceway (Ore.) – July 12-14, 2019
    • Watkins Glen (NY) – August 30 – Sept.1, 2019
    • Road America (Wis.)– Sept. 20-22, 2019
    • Las Vegas Motor Speedway (NV) – Oct 18-20, 2019

The Saleen Cup Series includes two 50-minute races at each of the five weekend events, with two drivers permitted behind the wheel of each of the 20 allocated cars. The Series will include two separate categories: Young Drivers (less than 23 years old), and Gentlemen Drivers (23 and older). At the conclusion of the five-race series, the top driver from each category will secure a PAID seat in Saleen’s GT4 entry for the entire 2020 season!

Cost for the Saleen Cup Series is $42,000 per weekend ($210,000 per season), with a full season discount to only $190,000 for racers committing to the entire season before April 30.

Since the Saleen 1 Cup Series features two-racer teams, the cost to participate can be split between two drivers – making it a per driver cost of only $24,000 for a two man team. This is a far more accessible driving experience than other Cup racing events!
    www.TrackHQ.com

"Cost for the Saleen Cup Series is $42,000 per weekend ($210,000 per season), with a full season discount to only $190,000 for racers committing to the entire season before April 30"

How many laps can I get in for $420?
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Didn't Skip Barber have an Arrive and Drive race deal for MX-5s several years ago that ran with the MX-5 cup cars? I think another company bought those cars and is currently doing an arrive and drive race series.

That's a shocking amount of money per weekend. I wonder is collision insurance is included.
      99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
      '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

Corona, CA based Saleen has a Chinese backer as of a few years ago. Been on the brink financially until then. No new cars since 2007. The S1 was released at the LA auto show in 2017, itself revealing. No Detroit, Chicago or European debut as that would have cost more. This race series should provide an influx of cash and seems more the type of move a cash strapped American niche company with a background in motorpsorts would do. Hard to imagine the Chinese ownership coming up with this funding plan. Leads me to believe that all is still not well in Saleen land.
        Yeah, I know, skeptical. But the car is based on a failed German boutique car that never got into production, leftover tooling, etc.
        Last edited by emilio700; 03-08-2019, 07:33 PM.
        WWW.949RACING.COM
        SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
        But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

how can you do a 2 driver per car with just 1 50 minute race per day?
          are they switching drivers mid race?
          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
          13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
          17 GT350R
          03 Miata Club Sport
          96 NSX
          06 EVO MR
          15 Mini Cooper S
          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
            Corona, CA based Saleen has a Chinese backer as of a few years ago. Been on the brink financially until then. No new cars since 2007. The S1 was released at the LA auto show in 2017, itself revealing. No Detroit, Chicago or European debut as that would have cost more. This race series should provide an influx of cash and seems more the type of move a cash strapped American niche company with a background in motorpsorts would do. Hard to imaging the Chinese ownership coming up with this funding plan. Leads me to believe that all is still not well in Saleen land.
            Yeah, I know, skeptical. But the car is based on a failed German boutique car that never got into production, leftover tooling, etc.
            I have had Saleen as my client twice at Alvaka Networks. Both times they went away owing me money. At least one time was due to bankruptcy. I think the first time was for the same reason. The second time they had been purchased by big equity investors, but that was still not enough for them to make a go of it.
            To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
              how can you do a 2 driver per car with just 1 50 minute race per day?
              are they switching drivers mid race?
              You get them to pay in advance.
              WWW.949RACING.COM
              SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
              But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Only with Saleen math does 42,000/2 = 24,000.

Comment

^ They added the corkage fee.
                  Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

for $50k a weekend?

for the money couple years ago a Robby Gordon truck was $30k a race included a spare hood.
                    http://stadiumsupertrucks.com/videos/
                    Last edited by passmenow; 03-09-2019, 08:48 AM.
                    74 911 RSR+
                    88 IMSA Camaro

Comment

Working...
                    X