Collapse

New Toyota Supra starting at $49,990

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wait....does the new Supra have a water temp guage?

edit: watching this video.. it shows no oil dip stick, but it DOES have a water temp guage, very un-BMW.
    but watching the video, there is almost no Toyota components in the car, it is 99% BMW.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka4Vo_ZvUaM
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 01-15-2019, 10:51 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post
      The BMW B58, closed deck design, but the air to water intercooler integrated into the intake manifold just seems like disaster waiting to happen, given the cooling system issues on their cars.

I was hoping for better.
      amateur !! new Supra will have lifetime coolant.....
      and lifetime diff fluid, lifetime auto trans fluid.........
      they don't ever need replacing !!

S1 Supermiata - 220whp
      17 GT350R
      03 Miata Club Sport
      96 NSX
      06 EVO MR
      15 Mini Cooper S
      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Lifetime coolant is accurate. It will last the duration of the plastic cooling system, then self-drain.
        Yer pal,
        Force

Comment

It looks like a re-styled BMW Z4.... it doesnt do anything for me.

Comment

I was surprised. originally thought it was a "joint effort" with a BMW drivetrain. but after watching the video above, seeing under the hood and interior. it seems this is 100% BMW, with a Toyota badge. are there any Toyota parts on the car?
            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
            17 GT350R
            03 Miata Club Sport
            96 NSX
            06 EVO MR
            15 Mini Cooper S
            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

I like it a lot, maybe next car, since I'll be looking to replace a Giulia once the lease ends. Looking forward to reviews

Only thing I don't like is the headlamps...
              4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Comment

The bimmer brother:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...4-first-drive/

btw: What's your experience regarding the he Giulia's reliability?
                Last edited by Loose Caboose; 01-16-2019, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post
                  Lifetime coolant is accurate. It will last the duration of the plastic cooling system, then self-drain.
                  LOL! I have a BMW sitting on my driveway self draining right now!!

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Caboose View Post
                    The bimmer brother:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...4-first-drive/

btw: What's your experience regarding the he Giulia's reliability?
                    I have a base Giulia 2.0T. Currently at 14k mi, no issues whatsoever, besides the routine dealership visit check-up for firmware updates.

It's never left me stranded, is hilariously fun to drive, and is the best looking four door sedan on the market. I have autocrossed it and tracked it... both do well enough for it to be fun, but don't expect to be breaking track records.
                    Last edited by Kam; 01-18-2019, 10:28 AM.
                    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Comment

The Z4 version ran a faster lap time on the nurburgring than the m2. The supra hardtop is lighter, stiffer, and faster to 60 than the convertible Z4. Toyota engineers have said it could do 7:40 stock and faster if the 155mph limiter is removed. Thats a similar pace to the guilia and faster than the m4 with a cheaper price tag.

it's probably going to have crappy residual similar to the BMWs and the FRS.
                      Elise
                      MR2 Spyder
                      Mazda RX7 FD
                      Porsche 911E

Comment

I've never had a new BMW give me any issues. I beat the crap out of them too. The only time one broke was my e46 m3 smg at autoclub speedway. The transmission died. The BMW dealer sent a tow truck to the track. Picked up the car and fixed it free under warranty.

I don't buy used BMW's without warranties. They don't seem to age well. Same can be said for any European car.
                        Elise
                        MR2 Spyder
                        Mazda RX7 FD
                        Porsche 911E

Comment

A lot of negativity in here when they are the only Japanese company willing to build performance cars for enthusiasts in recent years. Price is not bad either when you look at the the competition(Cayman). Yes, nowadays working with another manufacturer to help share costs on a low volume sports car is necessary.
                          Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
                          Facebook Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by OJR View Post
                            A lot of negativity in here when they are the only Japanese company willing to build performance cars for enthusiasts in recent years. Price is not bad either when you look at the the competition(Cayman). Yes, nowadays working with another manufacturer to help share costs on a low volume sports car is necessary.
                            Toyota didn't build this Supra. Couldn't say what the percentage of final car is theirs but it's certainly below 50%. Mazda, OTOH, singlehandedly built the current MX5. Nissan offers the GTR and 370Z, both unique platforms.

While I always appreciate any mfr for bringing a new performance car to market, I can't always applaud the resulting product.
                            WWW.949RACING.COM
                            SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                            But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Ill go against the current on this one.
                              - The BMW B58 engine has been mostly trouble free, and its an easy 400whp with just ECU reprogramming (DME is already cracked). Turbo and oil pump, among other smaller engine parts, are Supra-specific, Im prety sure Toyota will not compromise on reliability, its their core strentgh. Head of develompent said "BMW couldnt believe how extensive some of our quality and efficiency studies were as parts came into shape one by one. We would take every bit down to a fastener or rivet, and put it through our stringent quality control and a dozen other testing, wed ship thousands of parts back to Japan for analysis. That is normal to us. Each piece we test at our level".
                              - The ZF 8HP gearbox has proven smooth, fast and reliable.
                              - Rear electronic differential from the M series works very well.
                              - Handling was one of the top priorities during development, with Tada San at the helm (same guy who lead the GT86 design). 50:50 weight distribution, very low COG (lower than GT86), and very high torsional stiffness (higher than the LFA carbon fiber tube).

Its much more a sports car than previous Supras, which were more on the GT side. Price is very decent for the overall package.
                              I think they will sell a lot, and aftermarket support will be awesome. Good job Toyota.
                              Less powah is better

Comment

My complaint is it doesn't have back seats. That was one of the things that made the old supra different. You could buy the old supra make 500hp and and drive it for 200k miles with your kids in the back.
                                Elise
                                MR2 Spyder
                                Mazda RX7 FD
                                Porsche 911E

Comment

Working...
                                X