Mazda Prototype breaks record in qualifying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda Prototype breaks record in qualifying

This one has been a long time coming for Mazda's top-tier racing team. I'm sure it helps to not be racing a four-cylinder diesel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	maz1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	261297

https://racer.com/2019/01/06/jarvis-...ar-qualifying/

Mazda Team Joest’s Oliver Jarvis and Harry Tincknell gave Mazda a 1-2 result in Sunday’s Roar Before the Rolex 24 DPi qualifying, unofficially breaking the Daytona International Speedway all-time record in the process.

While the times won’t count in the record book, Mazda will have its choice of pit road and garage locations for the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season-opening Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 26-27.

On his first qualifying lap, Jarvis bettered P.J. Jones’ long-standing record of 1m33.875s, set in time trials for the 1993 Rolex 24 in Dan Gurney’s No. 98 All-American Racers Toyota Eagle Mk III. Jarvis later improved to 1m33.398s in the No. 77 Mazda DPi, 0.025s quicker than Tincknell’s 1m44.423s in the No. 55 Mazda. John Doonan, Director of Mazda Motorsports, dedicated the performance to Gurney.

Results

“It felt incredible,” Jarvis said. “The car was an absolute joy to drive. We ran in full-quali spec — I don’t think many of our competitors can say the same. In that configuration, you could push the car to the limit, and that’s what us drivers live for, that feeling of getting everything out of the car.

“It’s really confidence-inspiring,” Jarvis continued. “We know we’ve got a good package for the race. We’ve had a really good Roar, especially when you look back 12 months to last year’s difficult Roar. This time, we really hit the ground running. But we also know our competitors will be much closer when we come back. We’ve still got a lot to do, but it’s the first step on what we want to achieve, and that’s the outright victory.”
    www.TrackHQ.com

Daytona had a different bus stop in '93. Slower than today's track by maybe 5 seconds. The Gurney Eagle had 800 hp turbo 4 cylinder and weighed 800 kg. and thousands of pounds of down force. The Eagle record will stand forever. (I know somebody that holds a record for the 100 yard dash that has stood for 50 years because now they run the 100 meter dash)
    Good work Mazda. They should have sand bagged to avoid a BOP hit.

Comment

Great to see Team Joest finally finding their groove, but I have to worry that this just means a big BOP penalty for the 24. Were they the best cars there or just the worst sandbaggers?
      Ryan Passey
      Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
      "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Comment

Here's some good footage of testing:

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Alex Z zipping around the paddock is inspiring!
          Yer pal,
          Force

Comment

Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post
            Alex Z zipping around the paddock is inspiring!
            74 911 RSR+
            88 IMSA Camaro

Comment

My first trip to Daytona and the 24, any suggestions at the track or in town for restaurants, bars, points of interest?
              We have 2 day garage passes and breakfast at the track Sunday morning and parking outside near T4.

couple move videos.

74 911 RSR+
              88 IMSA Camaro

Comment

At the southern tip of the barrier island in Daytona Beach, there's a lighthouse and a couple of restaurant that overlook Ponce Inlet and the Halifax River. I don't know about the food, but they're a good snippet of Florida life.

The southern end of the barrier island is where they used to race before the track was built.
                www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Working...
                X