Safety Car Goes into the Wall.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red_5
    started a topic Safety Car Goes into the Wall.

Safety Car Goes into the Wall.

Oops.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1sVXerm9gyY&feature=share

• Red_5
    replied
    Well the driver seemed to own it if others claim it wasn't his fault.

"I want to thank you all for your well wishes today. I am ok. I have driven this course many many many times. I have paced this race in the wet, cold, hot, and calm. On Z06's, Grand Sports, and other things. It is never a casual thing for me, but an honor to be asked. Today I let down my friends, my family, Indycar, our city and my company. Sorry does not describe it. I want to thank our engineers for providing me the safety I know is the best in the world." - Mark Reuss

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ses/671229002/

Leave a comment:

• fatbillybob
    replied
    I see that video and I see one really great thing. I bet he had the traction control off and you can turn the TC off. That is huge for enthusiast drivers. I'm supposed to be able to turn the TC off on my wife's BMW. It says it is off but it isn't off because the car will not run on mismatched tire sizes. I hear posrsche PSM you can turn off and then it turns itself back on. Hey manufacturers...OFF means OFF!

Leave a comment:

• ucfbrett
    replied
    Mark Reuss is product development director. This crash was simply more product development.

Of the air bags.

Leave a comment:

• Gian
    replied
    Oh snap! Spin, bang, ouch!!
    I would love to have heard some of the radio transmission of the racers... WTF!!
    Last edited by Gian; 06-05-2018, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Force McCocken
    replied
    Ehh, that's a stretch. It's GM's "hometown" event. IIRC, you can see the course from their HQ.

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
    Stepping back and looking at the big picture, this is actually a positive for the ZR1 and Corvette brands.

- Potential owners won't think "That's too much for me" (honest introspection). They will think "Dumb GM exec can't handle it but I know I can" (macho).
    - Video clip will go viral for a few days with the clear message : ZR1, too much power"
    - GM is involved in racing. pace car for indycar. That's cool. I didn't know the ZR1 was a pacecar. Now I do.
    - Slammed the wall hard. Occupants walked away without a scratch. Safe!

Marketing department would never authorize such a stunt but now that it's done, they can manage and benefit from it.
    Now that's a spin, well done!

I was thinking the same thing about the old guys with no safety gear slamming the car into the wall and walking away with only bruised egos.
    Last edited by Red_5; 06-04-2018, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• emilio700
    replied
    Stepping back and looking at the big picture, this is actually a positive for the ZR1 and Corvette brands.

- Potential owners won't think "That's too much for me" (honest introspection). They will think "Dumb GM exec can't handle it but I know I can" (macho).
    - Video clip will go viral for a few days with the clear message : ZR1, too much power"
    - GM is involved in racing. pace car for indycar. That's cool. I didn't know the ZR1 was a pacecar. Now I do.
    - Slammed the wall hard. Occupants walked away without a scratch. Safe!

Marketing department would never authorize such a stunt but now that it's done, they can manage and benefit from it.

Leave a comment:

• Force McCocken
    replied
    Originally posted by Estoril View Post
    "Many factors contributed, including weather and track conditions. "

Leave a comment:

• ucfbrett
    replied
    One of the YouTube comments was pretty good: "What's a Mustang driver doing in a ZR1?"

Leave a comment:

• Estoril
    replied
    "Many factors contributed, including weather and track conditions. "

Leave a comment:

• Force McCocken
    replied
    Originally posted by SeanB View Post
    Strange. Stranger still that the safety car driver isn’t wearing a helmet.
    Not a good look for GM or the series to have two overweight, middle-age guys get out of the pace car they wrecked without any safety gear.

Leave a comment:

• Sprinkles
    replied
    Fond memories.

Most of them contained in this Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eGumLqAihI

I think the pace car not getting off the track after the light turns green in the GT race at Paul Ricard probably tops it for maximum $ worth of damage.

Shoe on the other foot, the guy trying to outbrake the FIV in the F3 race (I think??) gets the Darwin Award from the driver's side.

Leave a comment:

• craZee
    replied
    GM hired Maldonado ?

Leave a comment:

• CharleyH
    replied
    Wow, great way to,show off the new ZR1. That poor guy must feel awful.

Charley

Leave a comment:

Working...
X