Collapse

UTCC / Hyperfest 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work! My brain hurts watching these videos because the straights at VIR seem like an eternity in my car.

I would love to see this setup on Road Atlanta.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
      Almost forgot, for Brett's marketing software..
      Jeebus. Amen.
      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

There are a lot of carnage pics, but the important part is that we busted our butts, made things work, and in the end both cars went fast.

Bullet on grid for SU race Sunday. Fastest cars you see at the track... Viper Competition Coupe, Porsche, Radical... Miata??

Montage by Sonny, me going out for the Saturday UTCC rain session. Feeling triumphant just getting the car back on the track:

When we saw Sunday was going to be dry, both Emilio and I signed up to get some laps in that day. I couldn't run in TT because I don't yet have my NASA license. Sunday they squeezed me in to HPDE3, for which I was thankful - I was just happy to get to do some dry laps at VIR.

In Session 3 I got a couple traffic-free laps and ran a 1:58.9
        As ran that day, the car fits in TT1 with lots of room for more power or less weight, or it could be ballasted down to TT2, and in both classes it could have much better aero than what we were able to cobble together with spares.

Looking at TT results for Sunday:
        https://racehero.io/events/nasa-ma-v...c-2018/results
        If I had ran TT I would have taken 3rd overall for the entire day, behind only two TTU cars (Dan Raver in the LS7 Superlight and Sonny in Bullet). Faster than every entry in TT1, TT2, etc.

Unfortunately the GoPro didn't get session 3, so here are a pair of 2:03 and 2:02 laps in traffic, just getting the feel of the track. Taking it really easy around traffic and waiting for point-bys. Not pushing the braking zones much.
        135mph peak through the esses, at the second apex.

Still plenty of time left to find, I can count the number of dry traffic-free laps I got on one hand, but it was just great to be moving around VIR with some pace and start to feel the flow of the track.
        Last edited by thepass; 05-24-2018, 07:29 PM.
        Ryan Passey
        Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
        "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Comment

Originally posted by thepass View Post
          I couldn't run in TT because I don't yet have my NASA license. Sunday they squeezed me in to HPDE3, for which I was thankful - I was just happy to get to do some dry laps at VIR.
          Wait a minute, maybe I am out of touch because I have a race license, but I thought NASA does not require cage or license for TT?
          To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

For TT, the vehicle is held to HPDE safety requirements. Driver must have a NASA competition license. In a perfect world from their perspective, everyone running in TT would have graduated up through their HPDE ranks. For cases where you have lots of experience with other organizations and want to bypass some or all of that ladder, they review your prior experience and will consider approving you to provisionally attend a TT event. After that event, assuming things don't end in a fireball or other drivers chasing you off with pitch forks, you get signed off for a comp license and can compete in TT. I recently got the approval by NASA SoCal to attend a TT for that sign off, but schedule hasn't allowed me to attend one yet. NASA Mid Atlantic is a bit more by-the-book so they won't let you run TT without doing a check ride first, which isn't happening in this car with no passenger seat.
            Ryan Passey
            Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
            "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Comment

High 1:55 possible, but with TPS signal problems affecting turbo boost inconsistently, a 1:57.683 was the best we could hope for that day, good enough for P2 of 11 entries.

Driving to the limit is my goal.
              Winning with Team 949 Racing is merely the result.
              2013 NASA TTD National Champion
              NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill Winner: 2011 E2 Class & 2012 E1 Class.
              Multiple wins in NASA PT and WERC series, with many more to come.

Cheer for us during races throughout the year and like us on Facebook and Twitter!

"Drive well and have fun." Drive W2W in the SuperMiata Race Series. Also, see me in action on YouTube.

Comment

That is a SuperMiata! I wish I could drive like that. Love the sequential box.

Comment

Gawd that thing is fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird View Post
                    Can't wait to see how things shape up!
                    I think both cars and drivers are going to surprise many of the east coasters.
                    This mad machines will give you "one hell of a ride", but brings you to heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
                      Miata go "weeeeeeeeeeeeee"
                      . . . all the way home.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolTech View Post

At those numbers it would make a great substitution for a Cessna 152 wing.
                        A bit more and the car can track upside down. . .

Comment

Working...
                        X