NASA Elan NP01 thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA Elan NP01 thread

Looks like the first cars will be delivered Q4/15. My bro-in-law ordered one with an eye towards T25 and whatever local sprint race series NASA puts together. He's already talking about "getting the band back together" (Team 949 Racing) for the 25. I'd shut up and drive, William would run race strategy and probably drive an early stint, the usual 949 Ninja crew making miracles happen. I'm guessing delivery will be too late to make this years T25 so 2016 will be the WERC series I guess. We'll see how things pan out.

Anyone else here getting one?

More info on the car at the official website:
    THE NASA - Elan NP01 | The NASA/Elan NP01 - NASA PROTOTYE (NP) SERIES
    http://nasaprototype.com/wp-content/...I-OneSheet.pdf
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/elan.np01/
    nasaforums.com • View topic - NP01 Prototype Progress

Clif Notes-
    $65k
    Tube frame
    1550 lbs w/o driver
    2.0 Mazda MZR making 185bhp
    6 spd Sadev sequential - Gearbox is stressed chassis member
    pushrod suspension

I make power to weight with 11 gal + 200lb driver at around 11.3:1. Not a rocket in a straight line but I suspect the body work will be very low drag and it will out turn, out stop any production car that doesn't have huge wings and huger Hoosiers.
    The running proto did a 1:23.1 at AMP a few weeks ago in testing. Not completely dialed and had a minor fuel starve issue they fixed. Factory thinks a 1:22.0 is attainable with a bit more tuning and seat time.

Early customer testing at Roebling road

Reference for the 1:23.1 tst time at AMP is the OLOA prepped monster HP GTR, well driven, doing a 1:23.9. Note the rate of acceleration, probably around 6.5 lbs hp with driver. The NP01 is faster with slightly better than half the lbs/hp. That points to insane grip levels. I am excite.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Elan_NP01_fb_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	952.0 KB
ID:	236971

Name:	11953307_802085463242541_3569415257224186013_o.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	236972

Name:	Elan_NP01_fb_2.jpg
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	236973

Name:	car-assembled.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	236974

Name:	car-part.jpg
Size:	806.8 KB
ID:	236975
    Last edited by emilio700; 09-09-2015, 10:29 AM.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

I just saw this car in person at VIR. It's the real deal. Top shelf hardware and construction. It has the potential to win T25 overall. Third photo down from the top is one I took during the photo shoot for the catalog and website.

My impression:

- Large cockpit that is not at all cramped
    - Body panels that come off in seconds with some nifty quick fasteners
    - GM hub assemblies
    - Sadev gearbox is no-lift upshift, no-clutch downshift
    - Wood splitters and under tray that set the benchmark for the use of wood on a racing car
    - 17-inch wheels

This car is really Jeremy Croiset's project in conjunction with Elan and a number of partners who supplied components. It's every bit as impressive as it should be.
    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Very cool. I look forward to seeing these things on the track.

Comment

Looks great, I just have a hard time pushing $65k off a cliff. Hell, I have a hard time pushing $20k off a cliff.

Comment

I think racing in this class will be a lot more, uh, polite.
          www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
            I think racing in this class will be a lot more, uh, polite.
            If that were true, Ferrari Challenge would be the Emily Post of club racing...

That said, it certainly looks the business. Definitely a lot of fun, performance wise. And I like the roomy cockpit, obviously

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
              Looks great, I just have a hard time pushing $65k off a cliff. Hell, I have a hard time pushing $2 off a cliff.
              ftfy
              WWW.949RACING.COM
              SuperMiata

Comment

A friends of mine has one on order (quick F2000 guy) and he has roped me into co driving the enduros. We plan to do the WERC races here at BRP (do they have them any where else?) and maybe a 25 run?
                I gave him hell at first and told him why would you order a race car that looks like the Captain Phillips life boat? It has grown on me some, I must admit.
                Just given the specs, I thought it would have been much slower than it has turned out to be.

That is cool to see there will be at least one other car in so cal to run with. I will have to get used to a roof over my head, but I am looking forward to it.

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
                  ftfy
                  True story. Just ask my dates.

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing them on track and hopefully see a strong class develop. Will be cool to see 949 running this in the T25! Looks like a really fun car to drive.
                    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
                    99 Supermiata "Super"

Comment

At 65k does this come ready to race or is there some 'assembly required'. Regardless it is a bargain for what you get.
                      AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
                      Iron Canyon Motorsports
                      http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

At $65k, you get the kit, which requires some assembly, but not as much as you might think.
                        www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
                          At $65k, you get the kit, which requires some assembly, but not as much as you might think.
                          You mean the pistons are in the block and all gears in the transmission already, right

Comment

It won't be cheap to run T25. We did a ton (easily 50+ hours) of endurance testing before showing up for the T25. And something still broke on out 3rd T25. And this is on a known quantity - a Miata.

This car will need a LOTS of testing. You never know if a $1 pin will fail at 24 hour mark, unless you put it through the pace. And no one has put it through any endurance pace yet. Probably not for first year or 2.

It also needs to have more power for an overall podium shot at T25. It is probably cheaper and better chance of winning with an old Cup car. Everything that's needs to be known about endurance race is known on an Cup car. So to beat a Cup car, (there are a few at every T25) NP01 needs to be faster than a Cup car.

Yes I would love to race this thing at T25, but it is gonna be a headaches and heartaches
                            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                            13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                            17 GT350R
                            03 Miata Club Sport
                            96 NSX
                            06 EVO MR
                            15 Mini Cooper S
                            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                              It won't be cheap to run T25. We did a ton (easily 50+ hours) of endurance testing before showing up for the T25. And something still broke on out 3rd T25. And this is on a known quantity - a Miata.

This car will need a LOTS of testing. You never know if a $1 pin will fail at 24 hour mark, unless you put it through the pace. And no one has put it through any endurance pace yet. Probably not for first year or 2.

It also needs to have more power for an overall podium shot at T25. It is probably cheaper and better chance of winning with an old Cup car. Everything that's needs to be known about endurance race is known on an Cup car. So to beat a Cup car, (there are a few at every T25) NP01 needs to be faster than a Cup car.

Yes I would love to race this thing at T25, but it is gonna be a headaches and heartaches
                              Agree. My bro in law is more of an idealist than I am. I have to convince him to test a lot and still be prepared for something to break.

Needs a Rotrex and another 60-80bhp. Sadev gearbox is only rated for like 175 lbs ft though, which is the going to be the cars achilles heel I think. Depending on how high revs the MZR can be built to sustain, that means it's power capped somewhere between 195-250bhp. A K20 that revs to 8000 making 240bhp N/A and about 160lbs tq might be the most one could run and the car will need slicks to make up the power deficit. It'll have fuel economy on its side but that matters less in a class with big fuel cells and dry breaks.
                              WWW.949RACING.COM
                              SuperMiata

Comment

Working...
                              X