Clear All

Originally posted by redtopz View Post
    Registration $350
    Motel $150
    Tires $1500
    Gas $150 (triple for race gas)
    Towing fuel $150-$200
    Other consumables/misc repairs $300/weekend
    Pretty spot on to my budgeting over the years. I can stretch tires to a second weekend depending on temperatures. Also, I had 3+ years on my diff before it needed a rebuild, and my transmission has been running strong for over 5 years.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Comment

Anytime a car leaves the shop for a race weekend I debit 1500 from the account and pretend that nothing ever goes wrong or breaks and the cost to prep the car is zero. HA. No consumables (fluids, brakes, etc) are counted either.

450 entry fees
      650 tires - we use one set per weekend, some use more, some use less
      250 tow vehicle diesel
      150 race car gas - I use only 91 octane gas from the track pumps to get consistent fuel quality. Plus I'm lazy and don't want to stop.

I stay at the track in a motorhome. Doesn't really save any money but makes the venture much more bearable and means I don't have to count hotel costs and I'm not including food costs as we do our own cooking

Typically NASA race times start when the first car enters the track and ends when the last car rolls in. SCCA uses the green and checkered flags to time race length except at AAA. The net effect is that the SCCA races and qualifying are a couple of laps longer than NASA typically as the in and out laps are pretty slow.
      AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
      Iron Canyon Motorsports
      http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

I'm running SCCA T2 which is detuned 2012 T1. I used to race with Oli, Bill and JimT, etal. At 2014 Runoffs I was solidly midpack finished 9th of 20 cars so I can't impress anyone with my skill or ability to stress my equipment. That said, I'm still on my original 2004 Corvette motor, stock diff, stock shocks, T1 swaybars, Stoptech brakes, electric windows, A/C, +350lbs ballast so my car is underoptimized for the class. I run at least 3 race weekends/ set of tires but there is minimal local T2 presence so I can get away with it. My brake pads last me a season which is about 6 race weekends. Rotors I change about every few years out of paranoia when my car was shipped to out of state races and I wanted no possible failures. Oil changed every other race. Diligent pre-flight checks with clutch and brake bleeds as SOP. A race weekend is usually only swapping old cr@ppy tires for less cr@ppy tires for the race. I don't even add oil. The expenses you can expect are not that bad and for sure less than my old T1 crowd is spending today playing with Aero and mods in ST2/GT2. I don't think I can race much cheaper. What kills the budget is the random blown motor or visit to the bodyshop. BRP is $400 bucks in entry fees, $40/nite at the chateau 6, gas/diesel, and tires. I think I'm getting away pretty cheap. I better buy Oli lunch next time I see him.

Comment

Purchase price for competitive: ~$4-6k

Weekend cost:
          Registration: $250 (4 races, 4 practices, qualifying, plus Friday racer practice -- $50/additional race, some do 8/weekend)
          Motel: $0 (camp)
          Tires: $400 (1 new set per weekend, reuse takeoffs for practices)
          Gas: $30
          Towing fuel $50-100 (depends on vehicle)
          Generator gas: $10
          Other consumables:
          - brake pads/rotors: ~$10/weekend
          - oil/filter: $15/weekend

Approximately $750/weekend of 4 races (plus practice and qualifying). Grid sizes 15-30 people with close, competitive racing. Will do sub-1:50 at Chuckwalla.

All costs for middleweight (600cc) sportbike with CVMA
          Follow my racing: https://www.youtube.com/ryandhouck
          2009 Yamaha R6 (race bike)
          2014 Triumph Street Triple R (street bike)
          2009 Honda S2000
          2008 BMW M3 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by rhouck View Post
            Purchase price for competitive: ~$4-6k

Weekend cost:
            Registration: $250 (4 races, 4 practices, qualifying, plus Friday racer practice -- $50/additional race, some do 8/weekend)
            Motel: $0 (camp)
            Tires: $400 (1 new set per weekend, reuse takeoffs for practices)
            Gas: $30
            Towing fuel $50-100 (depends on vehicle)
            Generator gas: $10
            Other consumables:
            - brake pads/rotors: ~$10/weekend
            - oil/filter: $15/weekend

Approximately $750/weekend of 4 races (plus practice and qualifying). Grid sizes 15-30 people with close, competitive racing. Will do sub-1:50 at Chuckwalla.

All costs for middleweight (600cc) sportbike with CVMA
            Rate of injury?

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
              Rate of injury?
              Rare. Most crashes fixed for <$100 and no injury besides bruises and ego.

RISK of injury helps weed out the morons
              2009 Honda S2000
              2008 BMW M3 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by rhouck View Post
                Rare. Most crashes fixed for <$100 and no injury besides bruises and ego.

RISK of injury helps weed out the morons
                How many events have you done and how many injuries?

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                  How many events have you done and how many injuries?
                  In the last year? 26 "events" (track days and race days), including 27 race starts (20 top 5s, 8 podiums). Zero injuries.

In my life, I have had exactly one serious motorcycle-related injury... and it was after I had gone home from a race event and was riding a street bike at 25mph down a city street. Luckily, no one makes illegal u-turns on a race track (except maybe at an eXtremespeed track day).

Not going to say they never happen, because obviously they do. But it also happens in every form of real motorsport.
                  2009 Honda S2000
                  2008 BMW M3 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                  X