Team 949 Racing at 2012 NASA Nationals Mid Ohio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Apparently. The yellow mustang got busted.
    I heard the yellow Mustang get busted later in the race, did he also get popped for the start?

BID

Comment

• Is Emilio still rocking the underpan we made from a T25 posterboard back at buttonwillow in June?
      -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Comment

• Just watched the full race. WOW that Yellow mustang almost took out Crusher and Emilio. Did the yellow mustang get busted at the start (jumping/passing cars off track/or something) or somewhere in the race?

Congrats again Emilio you definitely ran a clinic and dominated your class and the class above you. Thanks for the shout out for the crew. Awesome!!! Good job Tom Probert for spotting for Emilio. Must have been nerve wrecking at the start. lol!!

Emilio, what was your take on the start? What happened?
        Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
        1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
        2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
        2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
        1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
        1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
        1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
        1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
        1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
        1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
        2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Comment

• Originally posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
          Just watched the full race. WOW that Yellow mustang almost took out Crusher and Emilio. Did the yellow mustang get busted at the start (jumping/passing cars off track/or something) or somewhere in the race?

Congrats again Emilio you definitely ran a clinic and dominated your class and the class above you. Thanks for the shout out for the crew. Awesome!!! Good job Tom Probert for spotting for Emilio. Must have been nerve wrecking at the start. lol!!

Emilio, what was your take on the start? What happened?
          Thanks. I'll get a video stitched together and posted later. I knew the Mustang would try the same thing he got away with Thursday so I was focused on it. I waited for the move and when it came I scooted over and put to in the grass myself before he could get alongside. I expected him not to lift but keep the power on and try to complete the pass.. at 100mph, in the grass. Got to say, I don't think that was smart driving on his part.

After the race I filed a body contact report and so did he. The race director and the owner of NASA both had to try to explain to him why passing someone in the grass, after you have already hit them once, probably isn't a great idea. They also DQ's him for an illegal flywheel that their head mechanic insisted was "OK because it didn't make more power on a dyno"

During the race he got a rolled up black flag warning for going four off.. way off, numerous times.
          WWW.949RACING.COM
          SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
          But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

• Hahahaha thanks for the update. He got pwned!!!

Comment

if I were there on the crew radio, I would of been yelling at Emilio to slow down.......

that's exactly what I told him (last week) NOT TO DO.....
              I said my biggest worry was "when you are leading by a big margin, you do something stupid like trying to set a track record", damn, he never listens....
              I asked Tom to let me know when I had enough of a gap to start pedaling it. He did just that. I blew off that final update from my spotter and drove flat out.
              WWW.949RACING.COM
              SuperMiata

Comment

• Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
                They also DQ's him for an illegal flywheel that their head mechanic insisted was "OK because it didn't make more power on the dyno.
                Flywheels are free mods PT, any idea what was illegal about it?
                99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

• you can watch the race here:
                  SpeedcastTV
                  go to minute 254:30 for the race
                  go to minute 307.30 for the interview
                  Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-09-2012, 10:57 PM.
                  S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                  13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                  17 GT350R
                  03 Miata Club Sport
                  96 NSX
                  06 EVO MR
                  15 Mini Cooper S
                  Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

• Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                    he is mapped over from CMC. not a ground up PT car
                    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                    17 GT350R
                    03 Miata Club Sport
                    96 NSX
                    06 EVO MR
                    15 Mini Cooper S
                    Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

• Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                      You're asking the wromg guy and not to make too fine a point of it but, I don't really care. I just heard them appealing (arguing) to NASA officials about how there aftermarket lightweight flywheel
                      was legal, NASA telling them it wasn't. Sorry, no more details on it.
                      WWW.949RACING.COM
                      SuperMiata

Comment

• I forgot to ask, how is Crusher? Any damage or anything?

Comment

Oh, I didn't know. I'm hoping to get caught up on watching the races tomorrow.
                          99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                          '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
                            Smashing records! What was your theoretical best lap? I bet it was within 0.4s. lol. That looked plenty fast. I think you took the first turn ALOT faster than the previous qualification lap on Thursday and was able to control and lessen some of the oversteer in the tighter bits compared to the previous quali lap. Also noticed that on the beginning of the flying hot lap, you were able to shift about 100-150ft sooner at the beginning of the front straight. Probably got you 3-4mph more. You even upshifted to 5th prior to turn in for T1 and didn't have to crazy correct for oversteer. Before you were bouncing on the rev limiter for quite a while and had a oversteer moment mid corner of T1 and cost you some speed there. Yeah, definitely the front straight and T1 is where you shaved most of the time. Great job!!

Slap on another set of brand new sticker tires. Maybe can go another few tenths faster...hehehe.

Good luck on the race!!
                            I did the winning/record 1:36.684 TT lap in the 8:30 am session while it was still cold and overcast. Tires did not come up to temp. The plan was to do just enough laps on the set of sticker A6's we set aside for the PTC race. I thought there might be a chance that the track would fast enough to improve my Friday 1:37.006. On track as the tires came up the car just kept getting faster each lap. When I did the 1:36.684 I immediately shut it down, cooled them off and brought it in. It was still getting faster though and I'm sure a 1:36.4 or so would be possible. I thought that time would be enough for the TT win and still put a good heat cycle on the stickers.

The sun came out for last TT session at 10:20 and virtually everybody in TT went about .7s faster. I'm pretty confident Crusher had a high 1:35 in it had I opted to run that last TT session.Kind regretting I didn't as a 1:35 would have been nice.

On the penultimate lap of the PTC race later in the day with fairly overheated tires and toe knocked out from the contact with the Mustang (understeer), I did a 1:36.432

So to answer your question on theoretical best, I'd say a 1:35.8 on a solid lap in that 10:30 session was doable.

Originally posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
                            I forgot to ask, how is Crusher? Any damage or anything?
                            Lots of scrapes and little dents. Guys drive hard an nationals!
                            WWW.949RACING.COM
                            SuperMiata

Comment

• 2012 NASA nationals PTC race

Here it is. Loading now so might not be live until tomorrow morning

WWW.949RACING.COM
                              SuperMiata

Comment

Still sounds kinda weird, my understanding is that cars can be raced in multiple classes as long as they comply with the regulations for whichever class they race in, in the same way that you ran Enzo in both SuperMod and Mod with changes made to the spec.
                                I don't think that there is a direct crossover formula from CMC to PTC... maybe the Flywheel he got caught with was illegal for CMC?

Not that it matters much, the guy was driving like a dick anyway...

Moti
                                Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

Working...
                                X