Team 949 Racing at 2012 NASA Nationals Mid Ohio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team 949 Racing at 2012 NASA Nationals Mid Ohio

One last shakedown at SOW tomorrow then we load up and head out for Ohio. I dragged Sonny to CXC Simulation near LAX this morning to get some seat time in iRacing on the Mid Ohio Pro course. I asked him to "be a dick" and drive super hard against me. He did, gently putting into a wall at one point. Thanks to Chris and the guys at CXC for setting us up. There are a few guys there that are Miata geeks like us. On of the guys was damn fast on the sims, jumped in with Sonny and me for a three way battle. I think I have a good head start on learning the flow of the track in race traffic. The full motion CXC simulators were especially valuable in getting a feel for the frequent mid turn elevation changes which really define Mid Ohio.

I'll be driving Crusher in TTC/PTC. Thanks to the NASA online magazine and video article on goracing.tv, I'm painted as the favorite. Large target on my back. No sneaking up on people in qualifying.
    Crusher, while fast for an N/A Miata, is probably the lowest powered PTC car so I'll have my work cut out on the long straight between T2-T4. The flip side of that is I'll probably be the lightest and hardest turning. If often rains
    there in early September. Crusher is amazing in the wet so my odds improve dramatically if it rains. SM record is a 1:41.5. PTC record set by a Mini at Nationals last year is a 1:38.4.

I'll do my best to update our facebook page via twitter. Team 949 Racing - Race Cars - Lake Forest | Facebook

The other PTC cars entered
    Two RX8's
    Acura RSX
    CRX - NASA marketing guy, Jeremy Croiset
    Camaro
    Mustang

At CXC Simulations
    Click image for larger version

Name:	165_99_5635a-e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	234750

Click image for larger version

Name:	20091018232654Mid-Ohio.png
Views:	1
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	234749
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

I LOVE that you are using a video game for training. I am a proponent of their usefulness, but I don't think there is a debate on the subject. Good luck!
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Comment

Emilio: I think your toughest competitor is going to be Jeremy..

for those of you don't know. CXC Simulations builds the simulator, but if you want to rent seat time / practice on different tracks using the simulator. you need to go to Seat Times, they have 4 of CXC Simulators and is located in Santa Monica Airport.
      Seat Time LLC -
      Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-30-2012, 08:31 PM.
      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
      17 GT350R
      03 Miata Club Sport
      96 NSX
      06 EVO MR
      15 Mini Cooper S
      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
        Emilio: I think your toughest competitor is going to be Jeremy..
        Made me go and look at the entries since I thought Jeremy was driving the Spec Z at nats.
        Looks like he'll be running both classes, as well as PTB in the Z too.
        Triple dipping

Moti
        Last edited by Blackbird; 08-30-2012, 09:20 PM.
        Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

Comment

That is quite an adventure guys and I wish you all the best.I am usually watching the run-offs online so I would be cheering for you.

Comment

Good luck, and watch out for Isaac. Should be broken up by the time you get there. But you can never be to careful.
            See ya there
            Last edited by Gian; 08-30-2012, 10:12 PM.
            That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

Go get em! You got this.
              ~ Jim Tway
              Tway Motorsports
              (714) 528-2150
              #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
              Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
              PA Construction
              American Heritage Performance

Comment

Have fun, don't hit them even if they deserve it. The NASA steward gets hyperactive with the penalties at this event.

Comment

Wild how it has a separate start and finish line.

Comment

William, do you feel the seat time there is worth the money? This looks like a cheap alternative to tracking.
                    pucsicsal - The fastest unit of speed measurement is not the speed of light, it is the speed of flatout. Hence the BRZs limit.

Comment

Originally posted by psychoazn View Post
                      William, do you feel the seat time there is worth the money? This looks like a cheap alternative to tracking.
                      definitely worth it if you are going to a new track. looking at how much we spent for track time. it must be over $500 per hour (for Emilio going to Mid Ohio, it is probably $3,000/hr).
                      simulator will save you time in learning a track, so yes, I think it is worth the money.

even going to a track you don't frequent helps. having friends together in a simulator room with you, both can learn track from each other. you can always stop the car on track, hop out of the simulator, go talk to your buddy. have a drink, go to bathroom and jump back into the simulator. you can try passes that you wouldn't try in a car. many things you can try in a simulator for cheap.
                      Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-31-2012, 07:18 AM.
                      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                      17 GT350R
                      03 Miata Club Sport
                      96 NSX
                      06 EVO MR
                      15 Mini Cooper S
                      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Live feed and timing from NASA Nationals

The NASA National Championships presented by Toyo Tires will begin with open practice on Thursday, September 7 with competition running Saturday, September 8 and Sunday, September 9 at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

NASA will be working in conjunction with SpeedcastTV.com again this year to bring all the racing action live from Mid-Ohio via webcast at SpeedcastTV. Live timing and scoring from the event can be seen on the NASA website at champs - National Auto Sport Association - nasaproracing.com.

NASA fans can see both Saturday's and Sunday's races live, entirely free of cost at SpeedcastTV. The live broadcast will start Saturday, September 8 at 10:30 a.m. EST and run until 4:15 p.m. EST. Live action will resume Sunday, September 9 at 10:30 a.m. EST and conclude at 4:00 p.m. EST. Be sure to check out the NASA Championships schedule at index.html - National Auto Sport Association - nasaproracing.com ... 2_V1.9.pdf to see when your favorite class will be airing live from the event. On-demand replays of each day's live webcast will also be available minutes after the live webcast ends. Individual races will be released for on-demand viewing during the following week.
                        WWW.949RACING.COM
                        SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                        But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

definitely worth it if you are going to a new track. looking at how much we spent for track time. it must be over $500 per hour (for Emilio going to Mid Ohio, it is probably $3,000/hr).
                          simulator will save you time in learning a track, so yes, I think it is worth the money.

even going to a track you don't frequent helps. having friends together in a simulator room with you, both can learn track from each other. you can always stop the car on track, hop out of the simulator, go talk to your buddy. have a drink, go to bathroom and jump back into the simulator. you can try passes that you wouldn't try in a car. many things you can try in a simulator for cheap.
                          +1
                          That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

I've been very curious to try this with the full motion simulator setup. I know that I felt iRacing with 3 monitors was definitely useful in learning Laguna Seca before my first time there, but the biggest limitation (outside of not having my exact car, obviously) is the lack of good physical feedback outside of FFB through the wheel. Interestingly they say they offer lease rates starting at "only" $766 -- as ridiculous(ly awesome) as this would be to have in one's house, at $125/hr to rent at Seat Time, it might be more cost-effective to lease if one intended to use it regularly.
                            Follow my racing: https://www.youtube.com/ryandhouck
                            2009 Yamaha R6 (race bike)
                            2014 Triumph Street Triple R (street bike)
                            2009 Honda S2000
                            2008 BMW M3 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird View Post
                              Made me go and look at the entries since I thought Jeremy was driving the Spec Z at nats.
                              Looks like he'll be running both classes, as well as PTB in the Z too.
                              Triple dipping

Moti
                              I think he might even be quadruple dipping. He's in Honda Challenge, too. So that makes Spec Z, Honda Challenge, PTB and PTC?
                              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Working...
                              X