Tesla Cybertruck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Cybertruck

Didn't see that one coming, but now that I did, it's very interesting.
    The design is definitely not for everyone, some would hate it, other would love it, but it did a great job at making EVERYONE talk about it and no one will ever confuse this with anything else.
    The specs on the other hand are something that most everyone can get behind.
    It's an in-between to the 1500s and the 2500/3500s, and that's a good thing.
    Lots of innovative features.

Discuss.
    Moti

Blackbird Fabworx - Quality Performance Fabrication

I love the idea of a truck that doesn't look like a truck, and this design will probably grow on me.

However, trucks need to do a job for me and this one can't, while a conventional truck can for half the money, setting aside the logistics of charging with a trailer on the road.

I suppose what really matters is if the f150 buyers will buy it, but I don't understand them anyway.

Comment

I don't think any of the current charging stations are configured so that a truck with 20' feet of attached trailer can charge without completely blocking lanes and making navigation in and out a *****.

No one ever thought of that, yet.

To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

donít forget Tesla Semi are coming. Maybe new tow vehicle friendly chargers along the freeway to service (donít forget they no longer offer free lifetime charging). So it could be a profit center for them.

Semi will have a huge battery. May be dual chargers for the semi (and big battery CyberTruck) and single charger for the small battery Cybertruck? This will keep charging time under 20 minutes, perfect for a bath room break and a snack.
        S1 Supermiata - 220whp
        13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
        17 GT350R
        03 Miata Club Sport
        96 NSX
        06 EVO MR
        15 Mini Cooper S
        Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
          I suppose what really matters is if the f150 buyers will buy it, but I don't understand them anyway.
          Me either.

F150 buyers are folks that think they want a truck but don't really need a truck. What they really want is an SUV but they haven't figured that out yet.

WWW.949RACING.COM
          SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
          But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

For many it's a socio-cultural thing - real men vs. pencil necked losers. So a lot of PU guys will continue to prefer a cab body that allows a gun rack to be easily seen from the side of the vehicle.

Comment

TESLA Truck armour glass is a fail! But if they can make a racecar out of the body material even Oli could not dent it. I would try one in a 6.7L Cummins Diesel!

https://mashable.com/article/tesla-e...eak-reactions/

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-with-Extendable-Ramps-and-Tesla-ATV.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	263471
                Click image for larger version

Name:	six.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	263472

I'm going to venture a guess that this truck isn't going to come to market in this form. There are pedestrian crash standards and this doesn't seem to account for those. Some bulleted thoughts:

- How are tall people going to get in the back seat without hitting their heads?
                - What have done to reduce the resistance/heat buildup feedback loop for towing heavy loads?
                - What happens when you tow uphill for extended periods?
                - Was this vehicle tested in snow? Those wheel arches look problematic for snowy/freezing conditions.
                - Was a straight edge the only tool the "designer" had? Was the "designer" educated in design?
                - Has anyone put this thing in a wind tunnel? That hard edge on the roof is going to create a fair amount of drag and turbulence.

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post

I'm going to venture a guess that this truck isn't going to come to market in this form. There are pedestrian crash standards and this doesn't seem to account for those
                  Are the same standards applying for trucks as they are for cars?
                  Honest question, I'm not sure they do, and it they, this one doesn't seem to be any worse than my F350.

I question the lack of mirrors and no screens on the sides of the dash to replace them.
                  Either there's a trick we're not seeing yet, or something here is missing.
                  - How are tall people going to get in the back seat without hitting their heads?
                  I also question that part, but doubt it's any worse than the coupe/SUV bodies like the BMW X6, Acura ZDX etc..
                  - What happens when you tow uphill for extended periods?
                  Probably drain the battery faster
                  For those of you who own Teslas, do they recharge the batteries when you coast downhill as hybrids would do?
                  - Was this vehicle tested in snow? Those wheel arches look problematic for snowy/freezing conditions.
                  What do you think is problematic about them?
                  - Was a straight edge the only tool the "designer" had? Was the "designer" educated in design?
                  - Has anyone put this thing in a wind tunnel? That hard edge on the roof is going to create a fair amount of drag and turbulence.
                  The design, while not for everyone, is much better from aerodynamic standpoint that any normal truck (which are terrible), especially the roof line.
                  Think Coanda effect in the way it was used in the F1 blown diffusers (bending the flow), but over an entire car.
                  Last edited by Blackbird; 11-25-2019, 08:05 AM.
                  Moti

Comment

Seems like the design is in part a way to get their panel gaps under control? The covered bed seems like it might be better for aero than a conventional pickup.

I'd just completely forget about towing anywhere but fairly short distances with this for now.

They might be able to lobby for replacing the mirrors with cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post

F150 buyers are folks that think they want a truck but don't really need a truck. What they really want is an SUV but they haven't figured that out yet.
                      Disagree.
                      Trucks are far more useful than SUVs, save the ability to carry more passengers that you get with a 3rd row.
                      Going out with your quad or dirt bike? Truck is always the answer.
                      Building something and going for a home depot run? TIATA
                      Camping for a week with a bunch of gear? TIATA
                      Moving anything bigger than a minibar fridge? TIATA.
                      I can do this all day...
                      Moti

Comment

...Aaaaand there you have it.
                        Someone already went ahead and did some CFD of the Cybertruck, it's incredibly efficient.
                        I wonder how long until there's a car shaped the same way.
                        Moti

Comment

Yeah not surprising they tried to make a "truck" with good aero. Impressive for a car with no curves.

Moti, the f150 owner I'm talking about is the cliche urban cowboy that would never put anything in the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                            impressive for a car, period.
                            ftfy
                            Moti

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird View Post
                              ...Aaaaand there you have it.
                              Someone already went ahead and did some CFD of the Cybertruck, it's incredibly efficient.
                              I wonder how long until there's a car shaped the same way.
                              And radar doesn't pick it up, either.

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Working...
                              X