Collapse

Next Version of Toyota/Subaru 86/BRZ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rented one through Turo when I was in Hawaii last September. I like it, even in stock form with just good tires. Corners very flat, and very stiff chassis. Not a big fan of that big torque dip right in the middle of the power-band though. Why did they never fix that? Emissions?
    SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

I want to find a way to convince myself to get into the current car. I just don't know if I could get over the engine for daily driving or lapping use. And getting pulled back into the downward spiral of car mods wouldn't be great. Would be great to race one in T4 though.
      2003 Z06
      Mosport | Willow Springs | Other tracks

Comment

Originally posted by fe4 View Post
        I want to find a way to convince myself to get into the current car. I just don't know if I could get over the engine for daily driving or lapping use. And getting pulled back into the downward spiral of car mods wouldn't be great. Would be great to race one in T4 though.
        The BRZ / FRS would be downgrade over the C5Z in practically every area for HPDE.

SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Originally posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post

The BRZ / FRS would be downgrade over the C5Z in practically every area for HPDE.
          Disagree. 86 only needs an oil cooler and brake pads. C5Z needs BBK, oil cooler, trans cooler, diff cooler, radiator. Consumables on C5Z much higher.
          Love the C5Z, amazing car for the dollar but a craigslist car will need more $$ than 86 to be track ready. By track ready I mean 20 minute session with your driving full gas at BW 13 in June.

This is cost basis. Once modded for HPDE yes, the C5Z is faster and more fun. 86 can be prepped for almost $10k less including car.
          WWW.949RACING.COM
          SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
          But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by fe4 View Post
            Would be great to race one in T4 though.
            That is what I'm thinking. T4

Comment

Originally posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post

The current car is getting pretty high in track hours (40-50 track events?), so I guess I am thinking beyond it - but that's my concern as well. I am happy with 15 minute sessions for 3/4ths of the year, so the stock prep C5Z is "okay enough" for me

What I love about the Corvette platform is that with stock suspension and stock alignment hardware it keeps its composure in a track setting with pretty good tires. Car is balanced, tires stay in a happy place resulting in decent wear, no chunking, etc. I don't think a Twin is going to be in a similar place without a decent amount of suspension work. I have autocrossed a couple pretty stock ones, but never tracked one...so definitely prepared to be wrong about that. But stock low grip tires and strut suspension doesn't seem promising.
              2003 Z06
              Mosport | Willow Springs | Other tracks

Comment

before 86, the only car that can truly be tracked stock (what Emilio said, fast driver in 20 min session on 100F weather) is a S2000. only mods was brake pads. Now 86 is that car, but 10 years younger and don't have a twitchy butt and cheaper to buy in (sounds like a mistress !!).....

btw, in 86 Cup they run GT Radial SX tire, 215/45-17 cost me $75 each (even RS4 is $143).... A C5z tire cost me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

S2000 was Trackhq offiicial track car till price shot way up..... Then C5 was it. Now I say 86 is the new Trackhq approved track car.
                Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-15-2019, 10:33 AM.
                S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                17 GT350R
                03 Miata Club Sport
                96 NSX
                06 EVO MR
                15 Mini Cooper S
                Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                  10 years younger and don't have a twitchy butt and cheaper to buy in (sounds like a mistress !!).....

SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

One weird thing is 86 hits 250F, ecu cuts power and 86 forum goes crazy. While c5z hits 300f and gt350r hits 290f, nobody blinks an eye.
                    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                    17 GT350R
                    03 Miata Club Sport
                    96 NSX
                    06 EVO MR
                    15 Mini Cooper S
                    Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
                      yes, the C5Z is faster and more fun.
                      I agree!

You could get a high mileage base model C5 close to or the same to a BRZ/FRS in total build cost.. And just like the C5, a 10 K total build HPDE BRZ/FRS I imagine would be higher mileage and slightly ratty as well. This is putting tire and consumables aside of course.
                      SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

But Toyota 86 engine from toyota is $16K!!!!!!! A current C7 crate motor from GM is $8500. If this is true 16k is more than the value of the car. We know new crate manufacturer motors are the best for durability.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                          But Toyota 86 engine from toyota is $16K!!!!!!! A current C7 crate motor from GM is $8500. If this is true 16k is more than the value of the car. We know new crate manufacturer motors are the best for durability.
                          Is that the Poobaru mark up?
                          SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

But Toyota 86 engine from toyota is $16K!!!!!!! A current C7 crate motor from GM is $8500.
                            In the real world, FA20's are available all day long on eBay in perfect condition for about 2k. We bought a used 2013 FRS with 85k on the clock. Perfect compression and leak down. On the dyno, it matched the highest known power for a bone stock FRS.

Beyond that, people don't really blow up FRS motors unless they do something silly like mechanical over rev or forget to put oil in it.

As a former Corvette owner (C6Z) I can understand how the cost of a replacement engine is a major decision factor. Just irrelevant for an 86.

WWW.949RACING.COM
                            SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                            But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post
                              In the real world,
                              As a former Corvette owner (C6Z) I can understand how the cost of a replacement engine is a major decision factor. Just irrelevant for an 86.
                              In my world engines live at redline or they are off. Engines are a real issue made a real problem since we can't buy a specfic class required GM crate motors for our old vettes anymore. Rebuilt motors are always suspect and the short life of these motors proves this out. Buying used is always russian roulette...sometimes there is a bullet in the chamber. If those motors new are really $16K as my 5 sec google search says that makes me nervous.

By contrast the mustang GT motor 7500, C7 vette 8500, Ecooboost 7K all new crates with warrantee.

Comment

In my world engines live at redline or they are off. Engines are a real issue made a real problem since we can't buy a specfic class required GM crate motors for our old vettes anymore. Rebuilt motors are always suspect and the short life of these motors proves this out. Buying used is always russian roulette...sometimes there is a bullet in the chamber. If those motors new are really $16K as my 5 sec google search says that makes me nervous.

By contrast the mustang GT motor 7500, C7 vette 8500, Ecooboost 7K all new crates with warrantee.
                                buying used is always Russsian roulette if the motors are old.... buying a c5 motor, you never know whether it has 20k miles or 200k miles (always find it funny that every used Japanese engine place call their JDM engines 50k miles tops !!! even though engines are over 30 years old). But 86 engines are relatively new (made only since 13) and many 86 are automatic, which make over-rev highly unlikely.
                                S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                                17 GT350R
                                03 Miata Club Sport
                                96 NSX
                                06 EVO MR
                                15 Mini Cooper S
                                Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Working...
                                X