Next Version of Toyota/Subaru 86/BRZ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Version of Toyota/Subaru 86/BRZ

Looks like a few years before production, but there could be some interesting changes in chassis and motor, and it is encouraging that they remain committed to this market segment.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...oyota-platform
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 08-09-2019, 06:14 PM.

I never understood why this platform wasn't more popular on US tracks. They are miata prices so cheap. They look sleek like a real sports car. They handle well and 3 different manufacturers make sequential gearboxes for them about 1/2 the cost of a sequential for a corvette. Aftermarket horsepower is available too for cheap.

Comment

I donít understand how a platform that underpins the Highlander could mean weight savings for the possible new cars over the current cars.

ďThe source said Toyota's TNGA platform is being considered since it supports front-, all-, and rear-wheel drive vehicles. The platform would also provide major weight savings for both sports cars. It would also offer the added benefit of economies of scale. The TNGA platform underpins the new Camry, Corolla, RAV4, and Highlander.Ē
      99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
      '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

It works if you change "weight savings" that performance people might like to "cost savings" which toyota bean counters like. Face it. Everything is about corporate profits.

Comment

If they make it too heavy, or even heavier than the current generation 86, they'll ruin it. I think we'll be seeing more of them on track as prices continue to drop. They make good racecars.
          www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Fat billy bob. You must have not been to a HPDE lately. They are now the most popular track car model. At last 86 Cup, they had ~45 of them.

Btw. I just bought an used one today !!
            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
            13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
            17 GT350R
            03 Miata Club Sport
            96 NSX
            06 EVO MR
            15 Mini Cooper S
            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
              Fat billy bob. You must have not been to a HPDE lately. They are now the most popular track car model. At last 86 Cup, they had ~45 of them.

Good to know and congrats. Iím just racing Scca so I see a narrow slice of the world

Comment

How is the 86 set up? Slicks? Bigger motor? Adjustable shocks?

Comment

That's great to hear. What years should you avoid?

Comment

I am no expert... but general consensus is early 2013 production have a ton of issue. 13 and 14 are kinda same batch. 15 and 16 is the next "improved" batch, with issues fixed. 17 and 18 is the next batch with some gearing difference and 5whp bump. 19 is again another batch. later batch the better. All are slight improvement over earlier version, no major performance improvement (some 86 nerd will probably chime in and talk about how the 17's 5whp jump was huge !!).

If you ever look for one, they are like a Civic from 90s. They are all modded out and plenty have cosmetically damage on them (which mine has).
                    My son got a 2016 CPO for $16,800 (30k miles). I got my 2016 for $11,500, but mine is quite beat up cosmetically with more mileage (75k miles).
                    Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-12-2019, 10:27 AM.
                    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                    17 GT350R
                    03 Miata Club Sport
                    96 NSX
                    06 EVO MR
                    15 Mini Cooper S
                    Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

My son got a 2016 CPO for $16,800 (30k miles). I got my 2016 for $11,500, but mine is quite beat up cosmetically with more mileage (75k miles).
                      What are you going to do with them? SCCA T4? Prep for STU?

Comment

The 86/BRZ is almost as ubiquitous as Miatas at the HPDEs we stage here in the SE.

William laid out the general irregularities. I follow the local ownership, there is a growing list of issues coming from bungled recall repairs for the valve springs. Those early ones may carry a stigmata from that, might be easier to land cheap as TNA has been adamant those engine failures were not because of bad repairs, despite evidence to the contrary.
                        Yer pal,
                        Force

Comment

William walks into a bar. He buys it.
                          www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                            How is the 86 set up? Slicks? Bigger motor? Adjustable shocks?
                            For HPDE, the usual bolt ons: Wheels, tires (mostly 200tw), sway bars, race pads, simple aero, exhaust and reflash, oil cooler. Mostly stock interiors. They really good bone stock. Two primary weaknesses for HPDE are high oil temps causing ECU to reduce ign timing which really drops power (like 25whp). Stock shocks make for nervous handing at limit with grippy tires. So better shocks are key.

Once the checklist has been done, they're robust, really fun to drive and surprisingly quick for the lbs/hp. Stock aero is actually quite good, very low drag and almost no lift. Our street car modified as above, on street tires, full interior and stock longblock will do a 1:55 at BW 13CW. Probably a 1:40 at Laguna Seca
                            WWW.949RACING.COM
                            SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                            But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post
                              I never understood why this platform wasn't more popular on US tracks. They are miata prices so cheap. They look sleek like a real sports car. They handle well and 3 different manufacturers make sequential gearboxes for them about 1/2 the cost of a sequential for a corvette. Aftermarket horsepower is available too for cheap.
                              I love my BRZ....so much that I am selling my Miata

Comment

Working...
                              X