C8 - Love, Hate, Ambivalence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8 - Love, Hate, Ambivalence?

Me, I love it. Love the blending of classic Corvette design cues with modern functionality. Unabashedly mid engine and American. The interior, a bit to Star Trek for my taste. Would have preferred a bit more traditional sports car blended in Ferrari and Mclaren do a good job of this in their interiors. Blending a hard edged WEC cockpit functional aesthetic with some identifiable, classic "sports car" DNA. Z51 has lots of heat exchangers. Remains to be seen how well they will work on track. If the recent SS 1LE variants are any indication of their engineering targets, I'd say we have a good chance of being able to drive it from showroom to track entrance and have it last a 20 minute session as is.

DCT. I'm OK with that. Haiving had spent sometime with a full sequential in a race car now, I'm spoiled, It's fast and fun. Allows you to concentrate on more subtle weight transfer and nuanced steering inputs by relieving the need to drive one-handed on corner entries and transitions. Yes it's easier but being difficult to drive doesn't intrinsically mean "sport car" to me anyway.

$60k. Jeebus. Some of you know my beloved GT350 Mustang was stolen in June. Probably in a container on its way to Zimbabwe. No plans to buy another but the C8?
    Sebring Orange, oh yeah

The Car and Driver article on the launch at El Toro
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...e-photos-info/

Chevy website configurator. Kinda DDOS right now so keep trying back
    West coast
    https://visualizer-west.chevrolet.co...US&channel=b2c

East coast (less busy)
    https://visualizer-east.chevrolet.com/ui?carline=corvette&modelyear=2020&brand =chevrolet&language=en&country=US&channe l=b2c

Click image for larger version

Name:	C8_Orange.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	262591
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Ugh

Name:	2020-chevrolet-corvette-interior-1563488442.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=980:*.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	262596

Name:	2020-chevrolet-corvette-profile-1563488439.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=980:*.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	262593

Name:	2020-chevrolet-corvette-frunk-1563491846.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=980:*.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	262594

Name:	2020-chevrolet-corvette-trunk-1563491848.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=980:*.jpg
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	262595

WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Comment

Local guy got this config before the site blew up. Pretty much how I would do mine. More Mclaren, industrial/aerospace design cues than Ferrari dolce vita.
      Personally. I don't care what lap times it's capable of or whether its faster than this or that car. It it handles well, is fun to drive, makes nice sounds and doesn't overheat after two laps, I would want one.

Supra? meh
      NSX? meh
      Any BMW? meh
      GT350/R? *****in!
      Camaro SS1LE? I can't see ****
      C8?.... Yes

Click image for larger version  Name:	67843214_2576608029018345_2993355638513336320_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.8 KB ID:	262598
      Last edited by emilio700; 07-19-2019, 10:40 AM.
      WWW.949RACING.COM
      SuperMiata

Comment

Looks good in orange. I think since the average age of Corvette owners is going up, the big screen and overall interior was an attempt to bring in younger buyers. Not sure what that big piece is on the right of the center console. Is that the token Covette grab handle?

I think they did a good job bringing in styling cues from the C7 stingray since going mid engine is such a massive change in the overall design layout.

Looks amazing in white. Would be nice if they make a cup car version of this car for rich gentlemen drivers to race. I love the factory efforts and all, but it would be good for the brand to see cup cars being sold to the general public, and maybe even a one make series.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	43.2 KB ID:	262600
        Last edited by Johns_EvoIXSE; 07-19-2019, 10:48 AM.
        SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

When you consider the Corvette legacy and its legions of fans, when you bear in mind everything at stake, this is a remarkably on-target evolution of the species while at the same time making a revolutionary change to its architecture.

It's a home run in every way. Chevrolet also is building it in right-hand drive, which is hugely important and smart. Cars like this need as broad a market as possible. Now Aussies, Brits and Japanese horsepower freaks can get in on the greatest supercar value on the planet. It's every bit a Chevrolet, a company that also makes ... pickup trucks.

You can buy this, and go faster than nearly any production car on earth for a half, quarter or a third of what other supercars sell for. Now, do you like going fast on a track or do you want to toss the valet keys to your Ferrari, Lambo, etc.?

If your interest is genuinely in going fast on a track, there's no reason not to buy the C8. If you're into showy display, you have other options available to you, but you will pay dearly for that red paint and that key with a prancing horse or charging bull on it.

And again, 495 horsepower from an OHV V8.

Name:	67360951_10218034017859109_2921202627481960448_n.jpg
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	262602
          www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
            Would be nice if they make a cup car version of this car for rich gentlemen drivers to race. I love the factory efforts and all, but it would be good for the brand to see cup cars being sold to the general public, and maybe even a one make series.
            Strongly agree. I voiced this when they released the "C7R" which was just a graphics package on a base C7. I was incensed. Corvette Racing has always held the policy that any big wins were to be had by the factory team and not pro teams or privateers. So all the C5R, C6R and C7R race cars were built in very small numbers and rare as hens teeth on the used market. Porsche has greater brand success, loyalty and profitability through their decades old customer program.

Driving a '20 Z51 for a few years then in say 2025, being able to afford a four year old "C8 cup car" for HPDE/NASA, etc would be fantastic

WWW.949RACING.COM
            SuperMiata

Comment

Some of the car's juicy bits.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-Transmission-102.jpg Views:	1 Size:	184.2 KB ID:	262607

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-Engine-100.jpg Views:	1 Size:	238.3 KB ID:	262605Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-Engine-101.jpg Views:	1 Size:	247.5 KB ID:	262606
              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

And more:

Name:	2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-025.jpg
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	262610

Name:	2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-Stingray-012.jpg
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	262609
                www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

More on why this car is important and expected to sell well. I loves me some Mary Barra.

Bowling Green, Ky. — General Motors is adding a second shift and more than 400 hourly jobs at its Bowling Green (Kentucky) Assembly plant to support production of the Next Generation Corvette, which will be revealed on July 18, 2019.

The addition of the second shift will increase the plant’s workforce to more than 1,300.

“The Corvette’s iconic status owes so much to the men and women of Bowling Green, where it has been built exclusively for almost 40 years,” said GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra. “This is the workforce that can deliver a next generation Corvette worthy of both its historic past and an equally exciting future, and today’s announcement gets us one step closer to its reveal on July 18.”

Since 2011, GM has invested more than $900 million into Bowling Green. This includes investments towards a new body shop, increased engine capacity, new paint shop, a new Performance Build Center, and additional plant upgrades.

Bowling Green Assembly has produced more than one million Corvettes since it opened in 1981. The plant has the largest solar array of any automaker in Kentucky, and its annual economic impact includes more than $76 million in state wages and $15 million in income tax.

Known around the world as America’s sports car, the first-generation Corvette was introduced as a 1953 model year. Originally designed as a show car for the 1953 Motorama display at the New York Auto Show, it generated enough interest to go into production.

The seventh and most current generation Corvette was revealed in January 2013 at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit and was the first to bring back the Stingray nameplate since 1976. The final production seventh generation Corvette will be auctioned off this summer with proceeds benefitting the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GMBGInvestment06 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	854.0 KB ID:	262612
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	GMBGInvestment04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	353.3 KB ID:	262613
                  www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Every remaining C7 just became really difficult to sell. There might be some opportunity for bargains.
                    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

that interior already looks outdated....
                      and that red valve cover, a throw back to 60s?

anyone know what type of suspension is on the car?
                      hope they make a hard top version..

I like the little things:

1. "Z" button, like "M" button in a BMW, that memorize your favorite combo of setup.
                      2. front ride height adjustment based on GPS memory, strange other exotic don't do that. although Tesla being doing it for 6 years now.
                      Last edited by bellwilliam; 07-19-2019, 11:26 AM.
                      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                      17 GT350R
                      03 Miata Club Sport
                      96 NSX
                      06 EVO MR
                      15 Mini Cooper S
                      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	67360951_10218034017859109_2921202627481960448_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	131.3 KB ID:	262602
                        I wonder how is the motor removed? Dropping the sub-frame it seems?
                        Last edited by Johns_EvoIXSE; 07-19-2019, 11:27 AM.
                        SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
                          that interior already looks outdated....
                          and that red valve cover, a throw back to 60s?

anyone know what type of suspension is on the car?
                          hope they make a hard top version..
                          Yah. My first impression on the interior was, 1982 just called...

Options list shows different colors for valve covers. Double wishbone front, multi link rear.

Why hard top?
                          WWW.949RACING.COM
                          SuperMiata

Comment

I meant coupe, not hard top (brain fart).
                            I don't want targa top...
                            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                            13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
                            17 GT350R
                            03 Miata Club Sport
                            96 NSX
                            06 EVO MR
                            15 Mini Cooper S
                            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Deleting the manual is a little sad, but I can't say I really blame them. That has to make things a lot simpler. A lot of their manual transmissions weren't anything to write home about either. Once you've had a great transmission like the s2000 or miata, it's a little frustrating when they aren't as good.

Comment

Working...
                              X