Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 canada 2019 penalty

Whatcha think?

Seb got screwed. Nothing else he could have done.

Comment

I finally talked a friend into watching an F1 race and this is what he saw. Said it would be his last cuz he hates politics

Comment

I would argue that the rule say "no unsafe re-entry".
        it doesn't say "unsafe re-entry is okay if you lost control"

in amateur series, I have seen more than a few times that a car lost control and take out a few cars. losing control is not an excuse for no penalty.
        an example would be trying to out-brake the whole field on the inside of T3 at ACS. you front tire locks up, tire smoke barreling down, barely missing the entire field. you should get a penalty whether you hit another car or not. Especially if the whole field went straight to avoid you, and you end up taking first place.

but in a professional series, as it is more of an entertainment. I think the right call would be: "tell Vettel to yield to Lewis, or add a 5 second penalty". This was done in the past when one passes the other car with 4 wheels off track surface.
        Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-10-2019, 03:21 PM.
        S1 Supermiata - 220whp
        13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
        17 GT350R
        03 Miata Club Sport
        96 NSX
        06 EVO MR
        15 Mini Cooper S
        Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

While not privy to the inner workings of the FIA , I don't see how "politics" enters into it.
          Last edited by Loose Caboose; 06-10-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I am wildly biased. That said...

I didn't like the looks of the second move/"save", it looked awfully suspcious to me.

Blowing a corner and jumping straight back onto the line causing traffic to woah up that would have passed you otherwise isn't a good look.

Also, the reason why he allegedly needed the whole track to save it is because he was way over maintenance throttle. A little less gas in the grass and maybe he's under control sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Caboose View Post
              The consensus seems to be that it was a bad penalty..
              I thought that was the consensus, because I watched F1 TV, and all 3 commentators said the call was bad. but then I saw a few more videos, all said it was a right call.

Rosberg
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gykAh22nbM

Peter Windsor
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j3yxNJDV3o

S1 Supermiata - 220whp
              13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
              17 GT350R
              03 Miata Club Sport
              96 NSX
              06 EVO MR
              15 Mini Cooper S
              Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
                I am wildly biased. That said...

I didn't like the looks of the second move/"save", it looked awfully suspcious to me.

Blowing a corner and jumping straight back onto the line causing traffic to woah up that would have passed you otherwise isn't a good look.

Also, the reason why he allegedly needed the whole track to save it is because he was way over maintenance throttle. A little less gas in the grass and maybe he's under control sooner.

I don't thing SV was in control. I'm not convinced less maintenance throttle on a 1000HP car loosing aero at a slow corner would have gained more control. In fact maybe SV slows up doing what you say only to lack control and spear LH in the driver's door sidepod. That was just a bad place to loose it and a low percentage place to try and pass. Maybe LH felt he did not have the car anyway and needed to take risk including being taken out of the race. I'm not sure how much you would have to pay me to throw my car in there like LH and hope. If it was verstapen my guess ambulances would have rolled.

Comment

Mexico 2016 - Vettel behind Verstappen, Verstappen locked up his brake & got on grass and rejoined the track, he was told to give position to Vettel, he didn't. Vettel started screaming on radio...something like...he is a c*nt, f*ck off Charlie...

At the end of the race, they kicked Verstappen off the podium & gave 3rd place to Vettel. In Mexico Verstappen did rejoin the track safely, unlike Vettel in Canada. Vettel nearly crashed into Hamilton, put him 4 off and inches from the wall.

I would say the penalty was pretty consistent.

2016 Mexico Vettel/Verstappen battle
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSS-guKXQJY

Vettel's angry radio messages
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE-j-NpdlT0

On the other hand, the stewards were all drivers, former F1 drivers, LMP1 drivers. The decision to give Vettel penalty was unanimous. The key was because Vettel's second steering wheel movement, not the initial movement when correcting the oversteer, but the 2nd movement to unwind the steering wheel to track out, after he looked at his mirror.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/re...anada/4461464/

For those of you that race -

here is the scenerio - the guy in front of you went off, rejoined the track immediately, doing about 50MPH slower than you, put his car in front of you, squeezed you until you're 4 off and there's a wall about 1-2 inches from you, are you going to say it's OK because he did not have full control when he rejoined the track?
                  Last edited by e5pr1t; 06-10-2019, 09:00 PM.
                  1992 SuperMiata S1 Bullet - W2W Race Car
                  2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Weekend Cruiser
                  2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 - Daily
                  2017 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins - Tow Truck

Comment

Working...
                  X