Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Hazard Fixes

Track Hazard Fixes

What is one thing at one track that is hazardous, that you would fix, and how?

My personal choice for worst hazard is the drainage pit at the apex of Big Willow Turn 9. This is a 2 foot deep hole with a drain pipe at the bottom. If you drop a wheel there, it's getting torn off.
    A fairly simple fix is to extend the drain pipe ten feet and make a catch basin with a grate cover.

Laguna Seca:

Relocate all of the people who decided to move next to a race track, 50 miles down the coast. Then protect the land so no one can build residences there.

That way, so we can have unrestricted sound events at Laguna. Because those homes/people are a HUGE track hazard.
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
      Laguna Seca:

Relocate all of the people who decided to move next to a race track, 50 miles down the coast. Then protect the land so no one can build residences there.

That way, so we can have unrestricted sound events at Laguna. Because those homes/people are a HUGE track hazard.

You may actually be on to something. We flyfishers organize and through organizations buy property along rivers and streams back from homeowners,farmers, municipalities, and government. "Conservation easements" are put on the properties so that nothing can be built there but public access is provided or allowed. This keeps America's waterways belonging to every American. We need to do the same thing around places like WSIR and prevent the future Laugna syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post

You may actually be on to something. We flyfishers organize and through organizations buy property along rivers and streams back from homeowners,farmers, municipalities, and government. "Conservation easements" are put on the properties so that nothing can be built there but public access is provided or allowed. This keeps America's waterways belonging to every American. We need to do the same thing around places like WSIR and prevent the future Laugna syndrome.
        The problem with that plan is the owners of WSIR have either no funds and/or interest in making any qualitative improvements in the facility. We would be protecting something not really worth protecting. I'd much rather organize an investment group to throw an offer at them that they can't refuse. Maybe see if they have any loans out, contact their banks and let them know we have tendered and offer. Put pressure on them to release interest.

Then actually put the place back together and market the **** out of it. So much space and potential there. Condos like CVR. Garages to rent/lease. Expand the shop section to have more suppliers, fabricators, etc. Make the tracks safer. Repave. Bigger skidpad just for autocross.

WSIR currently has no effective, incentivized membership program. I get an annual membership that gives me a small discount on track rentals but its meager. I'd pay a lot more to have a certain amount of free, shared test days.

WWW.949RACING.COM
        SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
        But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Originally posted by rikgray View Post
          Track Hazard Fixes

What is one thing at one track that is hazardous, that you would fix, and how?

My personal choice for worst hazard is the drainage pit at the apex of Big Willow Turn 9. This is a 2 foot deep hole with a drain pipe at the bottom. If you drop a wheel there, it's getting torn off.
          A fairly simple fix is to extend the drain pipe ten feet and make a catch basin with a grate cover.
          I'd welcome such an improvement, but I've never gotten so close to the apex that I was afraid of losing an inside wheel. I always get a sense of comfort in that little dip, what Jack Olsen calls that little "whump" at the apex that lets you know you're going to be OK.

More runoff at the outside of 8 and 9 would welcome, too. Some more grading on the outside of Turn 1 and softening of the berm on driver's right on the way to T2 wold be nice.

Also, maybe some flat concrete curbs we can actually use at apex and track-out.

At Sonoma, it'd be nice to have more runoff at T10. If you get it wrong there, you're in a world of ****, but that's an important corner for fast laps, so it should be made safer. Maybe some negative camber, too.
          www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by emilio700 View Post

WSIR currently has no effective, incentivized membership program. I get an annual membership that gives me a small discount on track rentals but its meager. I'd pay a lot more to have a certain amount of free, shared test days.
            ^^^ This

Im not convinced there is a way to make turn 9 safer without just encouraging drivers to go MUCH faster and put the risk right back in. Maybe extend the pavement with gatorbacks that offer only detriment to driving on but give you "catch space". I know if it was even a little wider I would dare bigger. Im sure most everyone here thinks the same way. Maybe pave the infield side of the track so when newbies hook spin there they dont dig in and roll.

my contribution: Remove the "red curbs" from laguna seca. They literally destroy cars. Zero safety advantages. I know it forces drivers to actually drive on the racing surface but im sure there has to be another way.

Comment

The red curbs at Laguna seca are there to keep the cars are from cutting the turns. The reason the cars would cut the turns is that the curbs are flat for the motorcycles.

Willow Springs could be a far safer track if they added a whole bunch of paved runoff in key areas. Modern F1 tracks we've done this way. But just grading everything flat like chuckwalla would be a huge step in the right direction. But this discussion is really academic when it comes to Willow Springs, the family that owns it really just has no interest. Bill Huth the builder of the track who passed a few years ago, was very vocal and public about his reluctance to spend any money upgrading the track. The family seems to be carrying the torch.
              WWW.949RACING.COM
              SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
              But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

I was going to ask for curb extensions at T3 for Road Atlanta plus facilities upgrades, but Xenu has granted these gifts. Excited to see how they turn out.

Hoping the motorsports complex in Orlando proceeds swiftly.
                Yer pal,
                Force

Comment

Originally posted by Force McCocken View Post
                  Hoping the motorsports complex in Orlando proceeds swiftly.
                  Is there a link to this effort on the web somewhere? I still have family in Orlando, so it might be cool if I could do some driving there when I visit.

www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Best time is doing scca homestead rival and the next weekend sebring and fish the keys in between. Scca runs these two majors races back to back weekends every year. Daytona is cool once but really not much of a track but it it s Daytona

Comment

How many of you guys jump the curb at Bus Stop at Buttonwillow (cw)?

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Caboose View Post
                        How many of you guys jump the curb at Bus Stop at Buttonwillow (cw)?
                        I am a bi-directional curber.

To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Norse warriors are not known for curbing their enthusiasm!

Comment

Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post

Is there a link to this effort on the web somewhere? I still have family in Orlando, so it might be cool if I could do some driving there when I visit.
                            Brett,

I have heard a bit of back channel talk around Atlanta. Itís a six hour, easy drive for us around here and I have family there too. One of my family members works in the area of the track and says there is work going on, but I donít have anything definitive or anything solid beyond that.
                            Yer pal,
                            Force

Comment

Working...
                            X