X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red_5
    started a topic ND2 Miata Versus S2000

ND2 Miata Versus S2000

I feel like there was a discussion here once comparing the ND1 (2016-2018) to S2000 but I couldn't find it after attempting a couple of searches. the ND2 which gets a 25hp bump over the ND1 along with a higher redline should be a pretty good comparison to an AP2. Yes the Miata is still down 50hp or so on the S2k but it also weighs about 500 pounds less and I believe the Miata has better torque. I honestly haven't seen any tests of the ND2 but I'm curious what those here who have experience in the S2k and ND Miata might think.

Plus, it looks like Mazda is making a Miata for 949 Racing /SuperMiata
    A homecoming 3 decades in the making. In February of 1989, the Mazda Miata was first introduced at the Chicago International Auto Show. Witness its return to where it all began.
    Last edited by Red_5; 02-05-2019, 04:30 PM.

• Kam
    replied
    Originally posted by Silversprint View Post
    Many Toyota guys are still running the Mr2.
    When you say "Many Toyota guys", you mean, MR2 owners, right? Because, most Toyota owners aren't tracking MR2s -- at least based on the number of FRS that show up to HPDE events compared to MR2s.

Leave a comment:

• Silversprint
    replied
    Many Toyota guys are still running the Mr2. Doesn't make sense to move to an frs when the 2zz spyder run similar lap times. No FRS has come close to beating Mark in that 220HP boosted car he drives. I think he probably had $12k in that car including the price of the car when he ran 1:51 at buttonwillow. Still a full street car with AC and power windows that drove to the track.

unfortunately just like the s2000 the Mr2 is getting too old and hard to find cheap and clean.

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    Originally posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Honda Civic Type R
    Chevy Camaro V6 1LE
    Mustang turbo 4 ecoboost
    Is this supposed to be like Jeopardy where we have to come up with the question for your answer?

Which new track cars are with too heavy for their power or likely to go into limp mode on a hot track day?
    Last edited by Red_5; 02-10-2019, 01:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Loose Caboose
    replied
    Honda Civic Type R
    Chevy Camaro V6 1LE
    Mustang turbo 4 ecoboost
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 02-09-2019, 06:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bellwilliam
    replied
    I believe engine / ECU issue is a 1st year model... not unlike 1990 Miata's short nose and diff issue.
    later ones are much more reliable... as with all cars.

I took a bone stock FRS to track (yes I changed brake pads and fluid). only issue it has is fuel starvation (left sweeper) with 2/5 tank on crappy tire. With good tire, pretty sure it wil fuel starve at 1/2 tank. other than Miata (lot slower) and S2000 (other than crack brake rotors), not sure what cars under $40k can do that.

I don't think E36 and Reliable go together in the same sentence..... having owned 4 BMWs since the mid 90s ,good cars, yes. reliable, hell no.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 02-08-2019, 11:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• robburgoon
    replied
    Originally posted by wxywb021254 View Post
    IMO one of the reason that miata is loved so much is the cost. FRS is not there yet and will take some time.
    "The TO bearing, strut mounts, ECU and engine problems"

The reason the miata is loved is it has none of those... whats the worst issue a typical 1.8 miata had... needing new plug wires and bad cam/crank angle sensors?

edit: ok, well pilot bearing eventually.... haha
    Last edited by robburgoon; 02-08-2019, 05:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wxywb021254
    replied
    IMO one of the reason that miata is loved so much is the cost. FRS is not there yet and will take some time. But e36s seems to be a good candidate for the new miata?

I think I went too far from the original OP's discussion...
    Last edited by wxywb021254; 02-08-2019, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Force McCocken
    replied
    The FRS is a VERY popular HPDE car here in Atlanta. I would say it's easily the second most popular to the Miata. They are very good track cars, but there are a lot of flaws, like any other. The local FRS community share a lot of the common issues the cars have. The TO bearing, strut mounts, ECU and engine problems seem to be the most prevalent. A lot of the early customers on the valve spring recall are experiencing some pretty frightening issues with the dealers not doing the work correctly.

Leave a comment:

• bellwilliam
    replied
    Originally posted by Red_5 View Post

I was wrong, they're only on version 5 of the transmission. At what point do you just shelve the idea and go back to the transmission and rear end from the NC?
    there is a fix, Long Road Racing built all those ND Cup car. someone told they tear apart all transmissions and replaces some parts on it ? may be that makes it not street friendly?

Leave a comment:

• ucfbrett
    replied
    *cough, cough* struts *cough, cough*

Someone had to.

Leave a comment:

• OJR
    replied
    86/BRZ is the real deal. Been saying it for a long time and I have a lot of miles in them. They are a great street/track/race car.

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post

version 6 !!!! don't you just give up by version 4? or fire the guy who designed version 1 and 2, hire new engineer, fire him/her again after version 3 and 4 that didn't work. hire new engineer again, for version 5 and 6.......
    I was wrong, they're only on version 5 of the transmission. At what point do you just shelve the idea and go back to the transmission and rear end from the NC?

Leave a comment:

• emilio700
    replied
    Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
    lol...... let me try again.... FRS will be the new s2k and the new ND Miata.
    there is a good reason you don't see a ton of ND Miata on track.
    Agree. And why we bought an FRS as a project car. As Dan said, "they tick all the boxes"
    -Space for kid seat or track tires
    -Fun to drive even stock
    -Good aftermarket support
    -Readily available in decent shape for cheap
    -Reliable on track with a few simple mods
    -Decent, if not great highway car
    -Fast, given the modest power

Leave a comment:

• Red_5
    replied
    Another shot with better light. Looks like a sweet car with I think orange Brembo front calipers, Recaro seats with orange piping and Rays forged aluminum wheels. All cars will have manual transmissions and limited slip diffs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X