ND2 Miata Versus S2000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND2 Miata Versus S2000

I feel like there was a discussion here once comparing the ND1 (2016-2018) to S2000 but I couldn't find it after attempting a couple of searches. the ND2 which gets a 25hp bump over the ND1 along with a higher redline should be a pretty good comparison to an AP2. Yes the Miata is still down 50hp or so on the S2k but it also weighs about 500 pounds less and I believe the Miata has better torque. I honestly haven't seen any tests of the ND2 but I'm curious what those here who have experience in the S2k and ND Miata might think.

Plus, it looks like Mazda is making a Miata for 949 Racing /SuperMiata
    A homecoming 3 decades in the making. In February of 1989, the Mazda Miata was first introduced at the Chicago International Auto Show. Witness its return to where it all began.
    Last edited by Red_5; 02-05-2019, 04:30 PM.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Here's the pic I was trying to post of Mazda's 949 Racing / SuperMiata 30th Anniversary Edition.
    Last edited by Red_5; 02-05-2019, 04:36 PM.

Comment

after driving my son's bone stock FRS and seen Sonny did a 1:58 at CW13 on non-aero FRS (it has an E85 tune, spring, sway bar and R888R). I am convinced FRS will be the next gen FRS.

btw, one Sonny drove wasn't close to be dialed in, it was still on stock shocks, handled like crap, still plenty of time left in it.

problem with ND, is they are now on v5 transmission (that's the one I know, might of been a v6 or v7 already). it is just too fragile to take it on to a track.
      S1 Supermiata - 220whp
      13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
      17 GT350R
      03 Miata Club Sport
      96 NSX
      06 EVO MR
      15 Mini Cooper S
      Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by bellwilliam View Post
        after driving my son's bone stock FRS and seen Sonny did a 1:58 at CW13 on non-aero FRS (it has an E85 tune, spring, sway bar and R888R). I am convinced FRS will be the next gen FRS.

btw, one Sonny drove wasn't close to be dialed in, it was still on stock shocks, handled like crap, still plenty of time left in it.

problem with ND, is they are now on v5 transmission (that's the one I know, might of been a v6 or v7 already). it is just too fragile to take it on to a track.
        You said the FRS will be the new FRS, did you mean the FRS will be the new S2K or new Miata or new FRS?

I think Ive seen that Mazda is at least on version six of the ND transmission. The Fiata used the NC 6 speed which in the second generation on has been reliable. I wonder how difficult it would be to swap the Fiat trans-rear end into an ND?

Comment

William is having a senior moment

Comment

lol...... let me try again.... FRS will be the new s2k and the new ND Miata.
            there is a good reason you don't see a ton of ND Miata on track.

version 6 !!!! don't you just give up by version 4? or fire the guy who designed version 1 and 2, hire new engineer, fire him/her again after version 3 and 4 that didn't work. hire new engineer again, for version 5 and 6.......
            S1 Supermiata - 220whp
            17 GT350R
            03 Miata Club Sport
            96 NSX
            06 EVO MR
            15 Mini Cooper S
            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

Are there that many FRS at the track?

Comment

Racing Orange it is! I want one, hopefully they'll continue the color or add something like a modern Mariner Blue.

Comment

Another shot with better light. Looks like a sweet car with I think orange Brembo front calipers, Recaro seats with orange piping and Rays forged aluminum wheels. All cars will have manual transmissions and limited slip diffs.

Comment

lol...... let me try again.... FRS will be the new s2k and the new ND Miata.
                    there is a good reason you don't see a ton of ND Miata on track.
                    Agree. And why we bought an FRS as a project car. As Dan said, "they tick all the boxes"
                    -Space for kid seat or track tires
                    -Fun to drive even stock
                    -Good aftermarket support
                    -Readily available in decent shape for cheap
                    -Reliable on track with a few simple mods
                    -Decent, if not great highway car
                    -Fast, given the modest power

WWW.949RACING.COM
                    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

version 6 !!!! don't you just give up by version 4? or fire the guy who designed version 1 and 2, hire new engineer, fire him/her again after version 3 and 4 that didn't work. hire new engineer again, for version 5 and 6.......
                      I was wrong, they're only on version 5 of the transmission. At what point do you just shelve the idea and go back to the transmission and rear end from the NC?

Comment

86/BRZ is the real deal. Been saying it for a long time and I have a lot of miles in them. They are a great street/track/race car.
                        Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
                        Facebook Instagram

Comment

*cough, cough* struts *cough, cough*

Someone had to.
                          www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by Red_5 View Post

I was wrong, they're only on version 5 of the transmission. At what point do you just shelve the idea and go back to the transmission and rear end from the NC?
                            there is a fix, Long Road Racing built all those ND Cup car. someone told they tear apart all transmissions and replaces some parts on it ? may be that makes it not street friendly?

S1 Supermiata - 220whp
                            17 GT350R
                            03 Miata Club Sport
                            96 NSX
                            06 EVO MR
                            15 Mini Cooper S
                            Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

The FRS is a VERY popular HPDE car here in Atlanta. I would say it's easily the second most popular to the Miata. They are very good track cars, but there are a lot of flaws, like any other. The local FRS community share a lot of the common issues the cars have. The TO bearing, strut mounts, ECU and engine problems seem to be the most prevalent. A lot of the early customers on the valve spring recall are experiencing some pretty frightening issues with the dealers not doing the work correctly.
                              Yer pal,
                              Force

Comment

Working...
                              X