2018 SCCA Runoffs at Sonoma News and Videos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 SCCA Runoffs at Sonoma News and Videos

The SCCA 2018 Runoffs at Sonoma are now in the history books. We know Oscar Jackson, Jr. won B-spec. FatBillyBob and I were there racing among others.

I thought I would start this thread as a round-up to the events of the week.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Here is the in-car video from my SCCA sports car race at Sonoma. I am only sending the first 30 minute segment as the rest of the race is uneventful.

The start of the race is a bit interesting as they always are up to about 10 minutes or so. I got a good start and moved up a couple of spots. At 9:45 the yellow TA2 car bumps me exiting Turn Six and uses the slight slide he gives me to get around me. He was over-driving his tires a bit so I bided my time. Shortly after minute 25 I catch back up and get payback by bumping him a bit in Turn Four to destabilize him. Not only did I get by, but my buddy behind me, Bob Kahn, does too. That was sweet because the same driver hit him pretty hard in qualifying.

It was a fast and competitive field for the race that decides the SCCA GT2 champion for 2018. My qualifying was not as good as I planned for at position 12, but the car worked well and I drove well. I was able to go from 12 position at the start to seventh at the checkered flag.

Again, the first 10 minutes or so there is some passing and hard driving, and then shortly after minute 25 of the video will show my pass back where i move into P7 and stay there until the end of the race.

I felt good in qualifying, but a 1:42.1 is only good for P12 in this field of current and past national champions.
    Last edited by Olitho; 10-22-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Did he miss a shift? Odd pass

Comment

Originally posted by robburgoon View Post
        Did he miss a shift? Odd pass
        The last couple of laps his tires seemed to be going off and he seemed troubled trying to hook-up out of some of the corners. His fronts were more gone than his rears, but he still couldn't hook-up on power.

Comment

I really enjoyed the runoffs at Sonoma. I saw Oli many times on track but never found the time to track him down in the pits and say hi. It is amazing how time flies when you are at a race track even if there is only one (!!!) session per day. Awesome track and some really great racing. Could not ask for more really. Weather was great. Some fog in the AM which slowed things down a bit but otherwise perfect. SCCA and Sonoma Raceway were on point all week and there was very little to complain about in terms of schedule and organization.
          AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
          Iron Canyon Motorsports
          http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Comment

Sonoma Runoffs was a fun week. West coast was sent to our own remote island in Chute paddock, which worked out pretty well. Less noise and chaos compared to the main paddock. Just a small (paved) hike to get to grid. I agree with markn, it was pretty smooth for as compact those pits were. Only problem was going to main paddock trying to find parking.

I'll have to get my qualy lap video up. A 59.3 in a B-Spec is really fun.

We entered B-Spec this year, after our Runoffs winning FR-S was sold in June. We already had the plan to attend Runoffs in motion and B-Spec was claimed as an affordable class to race, so we went that route. This is easily the most affordable class to go racing in the US. With very close racing and tons to learn for both young and experienced drivers, it is the affordable racing attainable by the "Average Joe" racer people have been looking for. It is a driver focused class. You can get contingency and support from manufacturers on a local level and at the national championship level. Race cars can be purchased for $5-8k ready to race, and you will have a pretty even shot at the front. I guess you can say I have become a fan of the class.

Good to see BillyBob, Oli, Joe Jordan, and others from TrackHQ over the week!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by OJR; 11-05-2018, 05:21 PM.
            Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
            Facebook Instagram

Comment

Yes, OJR. Post that qualifying lap.

Comment

Originally posted by OJR View Post
                our Runoffs winning FR-S was sold in June. k!
                I was looking at T4 as a class that is very cheap to run since you can't change the cars much. I like the light little wheels. I'm getting old and weak. I was thinking of building a FRS (toyota 86 now). What do you think about getting in or getting back into T4?

I even thought about T3 with the ford ecoboost mustang. I like the few allowed changes and the big cabin provided by the mustang. I'm also thinking the 10speed autobox that is claimed to shift at DCT speeds might be an advantage keeping the turbo spooled in the powerband. The autobox is allowed but 95% of racers would not be caught dead in anything without 3 pedals.

Comment

My runoffs was frought with misery. I had 3 sets of tires from the same source all A7's. at least 30% of the cars out there are on A7's. For some reason I was having all kinds of problems like I had some special formula that did not like the rubber left by other cars. I got progressively slower over the week as my understanding of the track increased but more and more rubber was laid down. So my 1st qualifying less than 4 laps was my fastest time of the week in both classes I ran when the rubber laid down was the least and my only datapoints of Sonoma was my Majors race in June.

As my tires got hotter I would pickup other people's rubber as if I was racing off line. I was Not! I picked up so much rubber I thought something in my car was broken as my car wiggled all over the track. In my T1 race I quit after 1/2 way. I was better classed in T2 yet my T2 race was worse! I got to the 1/2way point of my T2 race and the rubber just started sticking to my tires like driving over mud as it clumped to my tires. The car was undriveable and I was driving at B-spec laptimes. I suffered to the end and was happy to get off the track pack-up and say good by to my 5th Runoffs in a row. I had more fun when my engine blew up at the Indy Runoffs last year. At least I was passing cars before I blew up.

I was at a total loss as to why I sucked. A few weeks have gone by and I took my wheel off to look at tires and look for something broken in the suspension. My car is fine the tires are...well look for yourself. I was never racing on my tires. I was racing on other's rubber. My tires never hit the pavement! I have nver seen anything like this. I have heard of tires being incompatable with other rubber laid down but never like this. Other people's rubber coated my tires in a even film that you can see in the graining on the left. I used a putty knife and a torch to heat and scrape off the pickup down to my tire. My 4 tires went 20 laps at sonoma and the sidewall/tread interface killed by the tire rolling over looks perfect and untouched. The molding part line right down the center of the tire is 100% intact and should be rubbed off in just a couple laps! After 20 it is still there! The tread depth indicators are still square and defined not rounded off by wear.

Others use A7's yet the lap record in both T1 and T2 were smashed by like 3 seconds. Others raced just fine and people I normally beat lapped me!. What is up with these tires?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20181103_174911.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	260978
                  Attached Files

Comment

That is one of the saddest and strangest racing stories I've heard.
                    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Yeah, that sounds pretty weird, Carl. Have you talked to any of the Hoosier reps or engineers about this?

Comment

I have never seen anything like that. I agree with Mike, talk to Hoosier.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post

I was looking at T4 as a class that is very cheap to run since you can't change the cars much. I like the light little wheels. I'm getting old and weak. I was thinking of building a FRS (toyota 86 now). What do you think about getting in or getting back into T4?

I even thought about T3 with the ford ecoboost mustang. I like the few allowed changes and the big cabin provided by the mustang. I'm also thinking the 10speed autobox that is claimed to shift at DCT speeds might be an advantage keeping the turbo spooled in the powerband. The autobox is allowed but 95% of racers would not be caught dead in anything without 3 pedals.
                          The FR-S is a good car in T4. The platform is a hot discussion between myself and the CRB. Hopefully a letter I wrote for the car will give you even more options for running the car in Touring soon.

Ecoboost in T3 will be a great car. Scotty B has an Auto Ecoboost he has been playing with, so he would be the guy that knows. He probably won't tell you anything though lol. As an auto... I am not sure.
                          Facebook Instagram

Comment

Finally remembered to upload the qualifying lap.

Facebook Instagram

Comment

Working...
                            X