throttle steering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle steering

throttle steering...when you see those words what comes to mind?

not having to worry about it in fwd.

Comment

I first think of powering through a slide sideways, but that comes from a lot of years of off-road motorcycle racing. More subtly in road racing cars I think of just balancing the car through a turn and steering through the apex to corner exit by adjust understeer and oversteer as required. I suppose the other end of the spectrum would be brake steering into the turn....
      To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Throttle steer/ left foot brake how to control weight transfer to add more or less traction to either the rear or front of the car.
        On new cars its a button you push to provide traction control and stability control.
        74 911 RSR+
        88 IMSA Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by iwannarace View Post
          not having to worry about it in fwd.
          How so...?
          4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Comment

There's a long, constant radius corner at Spring Mountain called "Pahrump 2". A lot of racers refer to this as a "throttle steer corner" - where the steering wheel angle is essentially unchanged from ~ 1/2 way through the corner to the end where you begin to un-wind the wheel while applying throttle. Most street cars will have a tendency to push at the limit. While holding the wheel angle constant, more throttle tends to increase the radius of the arc and less throttle will cause the bite a little more in the front and decrease the radius. Hence, you can control where the car is on the track purely with throttle.

Comment

Drifting! LoL seconded is; WeeeeeEEeeeeeeee Third is what passmenow said
              That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolTech View Post
                There's a long, constant radius corner at Spring Mountain called "Pahrump 2". A lot of racers refer to this as a "throttle steer corner" - where the steering wheel angle is essentially unchanged from ~ 1/2 way through the corner to the end where you begin to un-wind the wheel while applying throttle. Most street cars will have a tendency to push at the limit. While holding the wheel angle constant, more throttle tends to increase the radius of the arc and less throttle will cause the bite a little more in the front and decrease the radius. Hence, you can control where the car is on the track purely with throttle.
                I use WSIR Turn Two for this same assessment of what my chassis is doing.
                To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Comment

Yes, similar corners.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolTech View Post
                    There's a long, constant radius corner at Spring Mountain called "Pahrump 2".
                    ... is this turn 2 of the main track? Don't think I've ever heard it called "Pahrump 2"... but how you're describing it, sounds exactly like that.

4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Comment

I think of just driving my miata... or any car really. Throttle steering is just a part of going fast, in any corner. When I first started driving on an advanced level, I used to turn the steering wheel to get the car to go where I want... Now I make a single suggestion with the wheel and use my foot to go where I want, hence, throttle steering or as us miata guys like to call it... driving.

Comment

Originally posted by ebruner View Post
                        I think of just driving my miata... or any car really. Throttle steering is just a part of going fast, in any corner. When I first started driving on an advanced level, I used to turn the steering wheel to get the car to go where I want... Now I make a single suggestion with the wheel and use my foot to go where I want, hence, throttle steering or as us miata guys like to call it... driving.
                        This
                        WWW.949RACING.COM
                        SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                        But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Playing with the load on the front tires versus the rear tires, and trying to walk that fine line of dancing on the limit. Keeping the car as balanced as possible while using all the grip that is available from the tires. Trying to use as little steering as possible, which I think it more important on entry and getting the car pointed at the apex with the right release of the brakes, which is another topic altogether.
                          SuperMiata S2 Class #33

Comment

Originally posted by ebruner View Post
                            I agree with this. Do you agree that if you were a straight line brake, turn-in, apex, gas out you would be much easier on tires than someone "on-it" throttle steering everywhere. Describe what happens to your tires over a sprint race? I battle 1st half of race feeling great and 2nd half of the race holding on as my tires get looser with building heat. Is there a way to manage this?

Comment

Originally posted by fatbillybob View Post

I agree with this. Do you agree that if you were a straight line brake, turn-in, apex, gas out you would be much easier on tires than someone "on-it" throttle steering everywhere. Describe what happens to your tires over a sprint race? I battle 1st half of race feeling great and 2nd half of the race holding on as my tires get looser with building heat. Is there a way to manage this?
                              What Eric describes is how you "point" a RWD race car on it's way past the apex. This is not bad or wasteful.

In my view the ability to fine tune mid corner balance with throttle is what separate a real sports car from cars that pretend to be sports cars.
                              WWW.949RACING.COM
                              SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
                              But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Comment

Working...
                              X