This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All

I came across this site by searching for info on suspension mods for my 2014 Gt500.. I have tracked it at AAA speedway, Fontana, Ca. 3 times. First 2 times on the infield configuration

and third time on the CCW Roval. Infield best time (cost front tires) was 1.16.9 and best time on the Roval was 1:59.9. On the Roval I was very conservative on turn 1 and 2 and on the
    tires.

I can get into the 1:55's once I get the Nachos to hit turn 1 and 2 faster than the 101mph. I'm sure I can do 112/115 on turn 1 and 2, but want to follow a mustang doing that first. One
    reason I got under 2 min must have been on the straight part of the Rova,l I can hit around 156 mph.

Again, costs tires. I did just put high perf pads, rotors and cooling ducts for the fronts brakes.

Lots of really nice people at this event.

Comment

• Hi there guys and gals. Michael Bird here, located in Raleigh NC. I am a retired track junkie. I've driven and instructed on a bunch of tracks in my Corvettes, Porsche 911 and several BMWs. I did a little bit of Solo 2 in my modified C4 Corvette, but that's the extent of anything competitive (other than autocross, which I suck at). Right now I get my car fix by writing about them in Roundel (BMW Car Club of America) and Quattro Quarterly (Audi Club of North America).

At my peak in 2000, I probably spent 15 or more weekends at the track. Yes, it got expensive.

So, if I'm retired, why am I here? Because I've decided that I need to start dealing with my bucket list. If I wait until I'm retired and have the time, I'll be too old and infirm to do some of the things that I want to do. And one of those is to drive some tracks that I've never done before. Laguna Seca, for one. Watkins Glen. That's the list, so far, in America. It might be fun to do one or two in Europe, but now we're talking some serious money.

Now, I think I've got the WG thing worked out, but for me to do LS is going to require a rental. So I thought this forum might be a good place to start looking and asking questions. I can rent a Meeotter in CA, which is fine, and I'm sure it will be lots of fun, but I wonder if there will be some Northern California enthusiasts who might want a little bit of coin for renting their car for a day to a guy who drives like your grandmother...

The tracks that I've done, best that I can remember:
      Charlotte Motor Speedway (now called Lowe's, I think) NASCAR turns & infield course
      Roebling Road (Savannah)
      Road Atlanta
      VIR (all configurations except "Patriot")
      Summit Point (W. Va)
      Mid-Ohio
      Road America
      Rockingham (in the bowels of NC)
      Carolina Motorsport Park (CMP) in SC near Columbia

Cars I drove on track:
      C4 Corvette
      C5 Z06
      964 911
      993 911
      E39 528i
      E28 M5
      E34 530i
      E28 535is

I now have a Porsche 991 as my "fun" car. It hasn't seen the track.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Welcome, mjb.

Trackspeed Engineering is in that area and can probably help you with a rental. Andrew Kidd is your contact.

Trackspeed Engineering

(650) 701-RACE (650-701-7223)
        www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
          Welcome, mjb.

Trackspeed Engineering is in that area and can probably help you with a rental. Andrew Kidd is your contact.
          Thank you Brett! This crazy idea of mine may actually work! It looks like it's going to be $8-900 per day, which is a lot of money but when you think about the ease of a fly-and-drive track day, it's well worth it.

Comment

• Hello All,

Long time lurker here. My name is Jon Wallace and I am from Chino Hills, CA. I've been attending track events since 2010, but drove my first event just this year. My dad got me interested in Motorsports and wrenching at a young age.

1999 BMW M3
            Mostly Stock but well maintained.

I've only driven Buttonwillow 13CW, but I've been to WSIR and CVR and sat as a passenger.

Best recorded time at BW 13cw was a 2:19 (pre-repave) out of the hot pits with passenger and old Bridgestone S-04. 225/245

I'm excited to make it out to more events! thanks for reading.

Comment

• Originally posted by j0nwall View Post
              Hello All,

Long time lurker here. My name is Jon Wallace and I am from Chino Hills, CA. I've been attending track events since 2010, but drove my first event just this year. My dad got me interested in Motorsports and wrenching at a young age.

1999 BMW M3
              Mostly Stock but well maintained.

I've only driven Buttonwillow 13CW, but I've been to WSIR and CVR and sat as a passenger.

Best recorded time at BW 13cw was a 2:19 (pre-repave) out of the hot pits with passenger and old Bridgestone S-04. 225/245

I'm excited to make it out to more events! thanks for reading.
              Finally signed up, you turtle?
              Do you understand?

Comment

• Welcome, M3's are sweet, never had a chance to drive one yet though but I have gone for rides.

Comment

• Originally posted by tq3z View Post
                  Finally signed up, you turtle?
                  You're more clever than that on the daily. Lol

Originally posted by scarsofcarma View Post
                  Welcome, M3's are sweet, never had a chance to drive one yet though but I have gone for rides.
                  Thank you! funny enough, I have yet to sit in a well sorted M3 on the track.

Comment

• Hi, I'm John. Found this site while surfing around trying to find information on materials for some aero mods I'm doing while rebuilding one of my cars. It's a 70 Firebird Esprit I built a sort of TA clone out of. Here's a pic of the car taken the last time I ran it at Sebring. Although road courses are my favorite place to run it I also take it to the strip, Land Speed Races, and drive it on the street.

Comment

• Welcome, John. *****in' F body. Those early 70's cars were the best of the breed. We'll need to see more photos, please. Interior, engine, suspension.
                      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

• Thanks, glad ya like it. Engine's a mildly built Pontiac 400 with MSD ignition, Speed Demon, Canton road race pan etc. Suspension is Global West Del A Lums, Hotchkis springs, sways, etc. with Bilsteins.

Comment

• Hello everyone! Here's my re-introduction. I've been MIA for a while.

Name: Matt Eugenio
                          Home: Temple City, CA
                          Car: 1994 Acura Integra LS Hatchback (DC4) AKA "DJ'
                          Experience: 20+ HPDE events with NASA, NCRC, Raceline USA, Speed SF, and Speed Ventures

I got my DC4 Integra back in 2011 from my cousin-in-law. While he was still the owner, it was stolen and was missing for almost two months before the police called and told him that the car was found. He had already bought another car and couldn't afford to have a second car at the time. He asked me if I wanted to buy it and of course I said yes. He sold her to me for $100. The rest is history.

Every since then, I've been slowly restoring DJ to proper running form and building her for weekend track events. My previous PB at Buttonwillow with my old DB8 (Integra GS-R Sedan) was a 2:24.xxx with bolt-ons and Falken RT-615s back in '09.

At my last event at Buttonwillow Raceway Park with Raceline USA/Speed SF on Black Friday, I was able to clock a new PB of 2:07.77x with DJ. She currently has a JDM B20B non-VTEC motor, S80 GS-R transmission, Buddy Club Racing Spec Damper coilovers, Project Mu Club Racer brake pads, and Buddy Club P1 Racing SF 15x8 wrapped in 225/45/15 Nitto NT01s.

PB lap from my Black Friday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVZMYU-2iZc

Here are some photos from my last track event on Black Friday with Raceline USA/Speed SF at Buttonwillow Raceway Park. All photos were taken by Bill Wang.

She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.
                          Last edited by RacelineUSA_Matt; 12-10-2014, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• I have been a lurker for a while so I thought I would finally introduce myself.

Name: Scott McIver
                            City: Irvine
                            Car: 2004 SPM Miata
                            Experience: I was doing HPDEs with a mustang, then a vette, then grew tired of the expense and lack of safety of tracking a street car so I bought an SPM of William Chen "Bellwilliam", hoping to be more present this year at SPM races in between work and having a 10 month old daughter at home. See you all at the track!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 03 True Blue View Post
                              I have been a lurker for a while so I thought I would finally introduce myself.

Name: Scott McIver
                              City: Irvine
                              Car: 2004 SPM Miata
                              Experience: I was doing HPDEs with a mustang, then a vette, then grew tired of the expense and lack of safety of tracking a street car so I bought an SPM of William Chen "Bellwilliam", hoping to be more present this year at SPM races in between work and having a 10 month old daughter at home. See you all at the track!!
                              Welcome!

Pics of the spec Miata?

Comment

• Hello All,

I'm Toni from San Jose, CA. I was referred to this forum by some folks that I met at one of our local trackdays. I drive a 99 MIata in blue. I've been autocrossing for about two years now and have recently transitioned into track driving in preparation for Lemons in late 205 or early 2016.

The car (21) is Miley. She is our budget fun car/hpde car. The only things that have been done to her are FCM 600/425 and Racing Beat Headers/Midpipe/RS3 Exhaust. I am currently on Federal RS-Rs on 15x8s because they are cheap and sufficient for learning on track. I also have my autox set of R1Rs on 15x8s which are not cheap but I find are much better on (colder) track.

So far I have done Thunderhill (2:26 - my first track day) and Laguna Seca twice (2:08). I am always looking to improve and have been mainly focusing on acquiring seat time. I have a lot to learn when it comes to the limits of the car. I am still underdriving it at this point but am growing more comfortable with each session.

The next modification for me is probable just further emphasis on safety equipment. I would like to get an FIA seat and harness (could use advise on this) and eventually a HANS.

I look forward to meeting you all.
                                Last edited by thoreau; 02-25-2015, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X