This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A guy I know has a 240z and a Miata.
    The Z has some sort of 4-cylinder turbo Nissan engine under the hood and has many dollars in suspension/interior/etc. in it.

The strange thing is... he believes the Miata handles better.

For the life of me I can't believe that... but he swears it's true.

Comment

• Originally posted by beermanpete View Post
      Hi All,

I am from SoCal and have been time trialing at the local tracks for about 5 years or so now. Willowsprings mostly with a few events at Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla. I drive a 240Z, mostly stock.

Nice to meet you all.

Regards,

Peter
      Welcome peter! I have much love for Z cars too... this was mine a long time ago... should have never sold it. What sort of modifications have you made to yours?

Originally posted by Schmoe Money View Post
      A guy I know has a 240z and a Miata.
      The Z has some sort of 4-cylinder turbo Nissan engine under the hood and has many dollars in suspension/interior/etc. in it.

The strange thing is... he believes the Miata handles better.

For the life of me I can't believe that... but he swears it's true.
      I believe it... no offense to Z cars of course. In the purely tangible/technical sense of performance a Miata has serious design advantages. In the purely emotional sense of performance however that's irellevent. Z cars are a lot of fun to drive, and probably require more skill to drive well in the first place.

As my first sports car, my Z taught me the basics of coping with understeer, oversteer, spins, brake fade, etc.. eventually I felt like I had to swap to something more modern (and faster) to get better as a driver because I didn't have the money to improve the Z as much as I wanted.

In hindsight I probably should've kept it. I'm sure by this point I would've built quite a car out of it... but I wasn't really so eager to chop up a genuine collectible... so it got sold to a Z collector out in Georgia who I presume still has it? Hmm... make me wonder if I can ever find out what happened to it? I should try and find out...

Comment

• Originally posted by scarsofcarma View Post
        Welcome peter! I have much love for Z cars too... this was mine a long time ago... should have never sold it. What sort of modifications have you made to yours?
        Our Z (I share the Z with my brother) is mostly stock in the drive train with simple race prep work to the chassis.

L28 engine (stock from 280Z) with SU carbs and OE ex. manifold
        '83 5-speed (so-called) close ratio transmission
        STi LSD, 3.54:1 final drive
        All the interior is gone except the instrument panel/dash
        Racing seats and 5 point harnesses
        Autopower 4-point roll bar
        All polyurethane suspension bushings
        Tokiko lowering springs
        Tokiko HP (Blue) struts
        Rear anti-roll bar (OE from 260Z)
        Rear disk brakes
        15" x 7" wheels (or 14" x 6", depending on mood)
        Rear BRE style spoiler
        Battery relocated to rear compartment (over the rear axle)
        Fully rewired
        Electric cooling fan
        Motorcycle alternator

Funny, I think of our car as rather stock but it is lot of mods when I write it all out like this. I guess it does not seems like a lot to me since it has accrued over several years, a little at at time.

Peter

Comment

• Name: Tom
          Experience: None at the moment, I am just starting to really get into the whole track racing thing
          Car: 1998 Mustang, looking for an early 90's Miata or something else that is relatively cheap to start racing

Comment

• Originally posted by beermanpete View Post
            Our Z (I share the Z with my brother) is mostly stock in the drive train with simple race prep work to the chassis.

L28 engine (stock from 280Z) with SU carbs and OE ex. manifold
            '83 5-speed (so-called) close ratio transmission
            STi LSD, 3.54:1 final drive
            All the interior is gone except the instrument panel/dash
            Racing seats and 5 point harnesses
            Autopower 4-point roll bar
            All polyurethane suspension bushings
            Tokiko lowering springs
            Tokiko HP (Blue) struts
            Rear anti-roll bar (OE from 260Z)
            Rear disk brakes
            15" x 7" wheels (or 14" x 6", depending on mood)
            Rear BRE style spoiler
            Battery relocated to rear compartment (over the rear axle)
            Fully rewired
            Electric cooling fan
            Motorcycle alternator

Funny, I think of our car as rather stock but it is lot of mods when I write it all out like this. I guess it does not seems like a lot to me since it has accrued over several years, a little at at time.

Peter
            You are a boss for tracking a car on Tokico HP shocks and lowering springs. I'm running those springs on my Miata currently with Koni adjustables... but they are just temporary until I convert to Ground Control springs and sleeves. How long have they been holding up? I'm very curious because last time I ran HP's, they were blown in under a year. What about brake upgrades besides the rear discs? I was constantly warping discs in my Z so I'm curious what you've done to tackle that issue? How competitive is your Z overall?

Originally posted by TrackRat View Post
            Name: Tom
            Experience: None at the moment, I am just starting to really get into the whole track racing thing
            Car: 1998 Mustang, looking for an early 90's Miata or something else that is relatively cheap to start racing
            Welcome!

Miata's are awesome of course, but if you want something light and cheap with a solid axle more similar to the feel of your mustang you could always opt for a 1st generation FB RX7.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1980 IMSA GTU112 .jpg
Views:	1
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	229550

Comment

• Hello, brand spanking new and love for track racing and techniques but getting old in terms of age

Name: Nikolae
              Car: Nissan Pulsar N12 1984 2 door.. (Once, now sold due to lack of funds - It is expensive here!)
              Experience: Few track visits at Sepang (Trying hard to get my Pulsar back for that) Wanting to improve on heel and toe + shifting
              Hero: My local mechanic who offers me a car and track session free! (I freaked out and turned it down when I was 20/ Not exactly bad choice then as I am a complete Green Horn)
              Principles: Drive safe on the road + respect, drive fast on tracks + respect

When I lived in the UK, those good old MX5 sells for 400 - 1000 quid off the net, in Malaysia it takes 6000 quid to get one of same condition.. booooooooooOOOOOOO!

Comment

• Welcome TrackRat and Greenhorn!
                www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

• Welcome!

Miata's are awesome of course, but if you want something light and cheap with a solid axle more similar to the feel of your mustang you could always opt for a 1st generation FB RX7.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7996[/ATTACH]
                  I hadn't thought of that. How are they for a Daily Driver though? I can only really afford to own one car so it is something that I am going to have to use for a daily and on the track.

Comment

• Originally posted by scarsofcarma View Post
                    You are a boss for tracking a car on Tokico HP shocks and lowering springs. I'm running those springs on my Miata currently with Koni adjustables... but they are just temporary until I convert to Ground Control springs and sleeves. How long have they been holding up? I'm very curious because last time I ran HP's, they were blown in under a year. What about brake upgrades besides the rear discs? I was constantly warping discs in my Z so I'm curious what you've done to tackle that issue? How competitive is your Z overall?
                    Scarsofcarma,

The Tokico shocks seem to be holding up well. We have had them on the car for about 6 years now with now problems. The front brakes are stock. We have had mixed results with pads, but the rotors have held up fine. The biggest problem with the brakes on the Z is the drums in back. With the discs in back the fronts are running cool and seem to be fine. Brake feedback and feel seems lacking to me however.

Peter

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackRat View Post
                      I hadn't thought of that. How are they for a Daily Driver though? I can only really afford to own one car so it is something that I am going to have to use for a daily and on the track.
                      Stick with a Miata. Welcome.
                      99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
                      '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackRat View Post
                        Originally posted by Red_5 View Post
                        Stick with a Miata. Welcome.
                        Well 1st gen RX7's tend to have more 'older car' problems then Miata's... but if you have the means to rebuild the engine, tackle chassis maintenance and refurbish some electrical components they can be just as reliable as anything else. Rear wheel bearings are probably the worst maintenance item because they're pressed unto the rear axles and require cutting of a bearing retainer that holds that bearing in place. Electrical-wise, headlight switches go out a lot (but they can be rebuilt) and ignitors on the distributors of later cars without points can fail. I used to carry spare ignitors around in my glove box for that reason.

Old as they are, FB's are quick if you know how to modify them. Last time I drove an FB at an autocross I was still posting better times then some Miata's. However, if you're not building a caged track car stay away from the SA's (79-80)... 81-83 are ok, but 84-85 had the best options. Get a GSL-SE if possible... they have the biggest brakes and the first RX7 to have the bigger 1.3L, 13B, EFI engine. However the 12A engine is still potent if you upgrade the carburetor and do some engine porting. (Gas mileage on a 12A, especially ported, will not be very daily-driver friendly though. Miata's have an FB beat in terms of gas mileage)

It is possible to swap an FC RX7 subframe over to the FB which converts the car over to a proper rack-and-pinion with the big plus of the FC's 4-piston brake calipers. THAT setup makes an FB worthy indeed as a track car. There's also some easy swaps into an FB to increase the final drive gear ratio and its possible even to swap over to a Miata transmission which has much better gear ratio's for spirited driving.

Originally posted by beermanpete View Post
                        Scarsofcarma,

The Tokico shocks seem to be holding up well. We have had them on the car for about 6 years now with now problems. The front brakes are stock. We have had mixed results with pads, but the rotors have held up fine. The biggest problem with the brakes on the Z is the drums in back. With the discs in back the fronts are running cool and seem to be fine. Brake feedback and feel seems lacking to me however.

Peter
                        Cool, you must be doing something right then!

Comment

• I don't have any problem rebuilding an engine. I am actually building a Ford 302 right now and hoping to have it making 300HP~ at the wheels when I am done. I am not sure what I am gonna put it in because I can't put it into my Mustang due to registration BS. I might put it into an MX5 or RX7 after I have gotten to know the feel of the car extensively.

Comment

• Hi fellow track addicts,

I stumbled upon this forum while doing research on safety mods for my car and am glad I did. I'm fairly new to the track scene (started Aug 2013), but have jumped all four wheels in since my first track day back then. I have done a total of 25 track days this year and 5 last year so I've gotten plenty of seat time in a pretty short time period. I'm actually a newly minted co-owner of a Chumpcar and will be racing in that series next year and then for 2016, I am planning on doing some club racing in BMW CCA to start and then moving over to NASA. I drive a 1995 e36 m3 which I'm currently building to race in I-Sport and my Chumpcar is a 1994 325i.

I'm a native of Philadelphia, PA and NJMP is my backyard track.

Looking forward to being a part of this community.

Vinh

Comment

• Welcome aboard. With your impressively fast start and your well considered plans, you should really benefit from some regular doses of TrackHq.

Comment

• Welcome, Vinh.

I grew up in Bucks County, so I'm still a Philly kid at heart. NASA Northeast has some great German Touring Series fields, so you'll have good competition.
                                www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Working...
                                X