Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No offense, CraZee, but that might be even uglier than the Chump Car I raced once. And it was UGLY.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Burrari3 copy.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	229513
    www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

• Thank you for the compliment. That picture is a few races old. It looks even better/worse now!

Comment

• PS, I thought the holes to make it lighter would be a good idea until I was playing wiffle ball with my grand kids one day and realized I created a wiffle car. It would probably go 20 mph faster w/o them!

Comment

• Hahaha yes that does look quite a bit more Thing-ish! It's weird, the themes are shifting more towards LeMons and actual competitive racing towards ChumpCar. Both series are fun!

Comment

• Hello TrackHQ

Name: Narayan or 'Nar' for short...
            Home: Bay Area, CA
            Car: 96 Miata M-Edition
            Experience: HPDE Instructor, Rally-X, Auto-X and Drifting competitor at Thunderhill.
            Most feared track: Sonoma
            Favorite tracks: Thunderhill, Laguna Seca

Hello everyone, I found this forum researching racing parts for Miata's. I picked up a 96 M-Edition recently and I'm eager to get it ready for some track events. My track experience started at Thunderhill several years ago supporting the Butte College SCCA T2 class S2000 as part of their pit-crew (along with Brad Dressen's FB RX7 and a couple of David Voddens Miata's). I volunteered to do some flagging and coaching for their teen car-control clinic.

After my first HPDE event in my FC RX7 I was asked to be an instructor, which I did for a while. I also competed in some Rally-X events in an SCCA Pro Rally RX3-SP, along with drifting and auto-X events in my FC. Lastly I was training to be a NASA instructor at Laguna Seca until family obligations dragged me away from track driving... but things are different now so I'm eager to back into it. Most recently I was competing in a local Auto X club in a GSL-SE RX7 until it was cancelled.

I've had many many different car projects over the years... including five FC RX7's, two FB RX7's, a RX3-SP, three MKIII Supra's (two of which were turbo's), a VW Scirocco and a Corrado, two Honda Accord hatchbacks, two Civics (91 Hatchback and 95 Coupe), an 82 BMW 528e and a 79 Nissan 280 ZX-R...

Here's my Miata as it sits now... lightly modded with just a Racing Beat intake, ARP wheel studs, 949 Racing wheel nuts, Magnaflow muffler, Drilled/Slotted rotors and Koni adjustable shocks. I have a lot more planned for this car.

And some random pics of my former track day stuff...

Comment

• scarsofcarma -

Welcome. Why do you fear Sonoma Raceway?
              The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
              1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
              2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
              2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard EVO View Post
                scarsofcarma -

Welcome. Why do you fear Sonoma Raceway?
                Eh, well I've never driven on it so it's mostly just a fear of the unknown. Besides that, one of the Butte College cars I was pit-crew for got totalled there. I watched it happen on in car video and that just reinforced my nervousness about it. Once I actually do some laps there I'm sure I'll get over it. I'm pretty good about conquering my fears, else I wouldn't be into driving at all given how I was so seriously injured two weeks after I got my license as a teenager.

Comment

• ^^^ I have run every road course in California and Nevada, and Sonoma is by far my favorite.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
                  2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - my last track day car (FOR SALE or not, depending on how I feel when I fall out of bed tomorrow morning)
                  2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Comment

^^^ I have run every road course in California and Nevada, and Sonoma is by far my favorite.
                    Cool, yeah I'm eager to try it. It's funny because I've seen plenty of wrecks at Thunderhill and Laguna, and had some scary experiences riding along or driving on those tracks, but they don't worry me as much as a track I've never been on before.

Comment

• Just approach Turn 10 with a little caution, because the big wall is close to the tarmac there. Also, I can't think of another turn anywhere where the racing line (exit of Turn 11) is as close as you can get to wall without hitting it . . . (short wall at Turn 11).

Comment

Just approach Turn 10 with a little caution, because the big wall is close to the tarmac there. Also, I can't think of another turn anywhere where the racing line (exit of Turn 11) is as close as you can get to wall without hitting it . . . (short wall at Turn 11).
                        Thanks for the tip! The car I saw totalled hit a wall just off track so it must've been turn 10 or 11.

Comment

• Welcome to the board Nar. Lots of good folks here.
                          I love me some Sonoma Raceway... but still have a healthy dose of fear at Thunderhill for the same reasons you fear Sonoma.

And... don't forget to message USFBrett for your complimentary TrackHQ stickers.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2874.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	229527
                          They're guaranteed to drop at least 2 seconds off your lap times.
                          Last edited by Schmoe Money; 10-15-2014, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Schmoe Money View Post
                            Welcome to the board Nar. Lots of good folks here.
                            I love me some Sonoma Raceway... but still have a healthy dose of fear at Thunderhill for the same reasons you fear Sonoma.
                            Yeah Thunderhill can be tricky... At the end of my first trackday I had my brakes boil and lock up under heavy braking, downhill into turn 10, that caused snap oversteer in my FC. I had the instincts to go with it and cut the corner entry early rather then attempting to straighten the car again and end up off on the other side of the track where the wall was. (It was too risky with that entry speed at that particular corner). I of course exited the track after that because my brakes couldn't cope anyore. (I learned my lesson about the value of proper racing fluid)

Originally posted by Schmoe Money View Post
                            And... don't forget to message USFBrett for your complimentary TrackHQ stickers.

They're guaranteed to drop at least 2 seconds off your lap times.
                            I tried messaging him but that username appears to be invalid?

Comment

• Originally posted by Schmoe Money View Post
                              That's UCFBrett. USF is UCF's rival university in Tampa.
                              www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ucfbrett View Post
                                That's UCFBrett. USF is UCF's rival university in Tampa.
                                Boris -

I think you miss the point. It's a new way to mis-spell your name . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X