Endurance racecars vs. Sprint racecars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endurance racecars vs. Sprint racecars

I know how to build a car for single user sprint racing. What is different about the dedicated endurance racecar? What kinds of things are considered?

Let's say a car consumes (eats, goes out tailpipe,in catch cans) 1/2qt of oil in an hour of sprint racing combined with a qualy session. In a 4 hour endurance race that's 4 qt. or 1/2 the total oil for the motor. That can't be good. What do you do? Start with more and froth the oil beat by the crank? Put in a bigger sump? Turn down the RPM limit? Add oil at pitstop?

How do you deal with different size drivers where you need a slider? Does someone make a single lever slider/back brace system for the seat?

Those are the kinds of questions rattling around in my pea brain.

The most important thing is to know. So you can plan and execute. All (?) enduros of 3-4 hour length feature a mandatory fuel stop, even if you don't need it. Planning for an oil burner involves some combination of initial modest overfill and oil top-off at the stop. In the heat of the moment, it is easy to skip the oil fill. In this case, be sure to allocate plenty of time for regret (experience talking here). For a "big" enduro (12+ hour), start with a motor that doesn't burn much/any oil, and have one person that always checks the oil during tire changes. Always. I can't stress enough how easy it is to blow off oil maintenance at an enduro and lose a motor.

Comment

Gordon pointed you in the right direction on the oil. The engine you describe might not work for enduros. Refresh it or use another car or engine.

For seats and drivers of different sizes, most of the teams I've witnessed deal with it by using foam inserts for the seat. The insert pushes the shorter driver farther forward so he/she can operate the pedals properly.

If people use sliders, I can't remember ever seeing one. That would take some really good fab work to get it to function as a moving seat, yet still be firmly fixed in the event of a crash.
      www.TrackHQ.com

Comment

Moving the pedals instead of the seat is the dream. Tons of work though.

Comment

for "endurance" (assuming amateur), you need to be specific if it is NASA T25, or Champ/Lucky Dog/AER, etc.......
          reason is NASA allows driver change during fueling. This means most driver changes are done within fueling window (or close to it). every second you spent on checking oil is time not on track (that's ~120ft per second you lost). engine oil check should only be done during a tire stop.

but if you are talking about the rest. NO driver change allowed during refueling. that means you can work on the car during a driver change. it can usually be done. most driver changes is 30-75 seconds, plenty of time.

as for seat sliders, that's a "grey" area in safety. seat sliders are often used and many have passed tech even though they are wobbly. since you are the safety police here on Trackhq, I am gonna say that is a no for you.

one thing helps with driver seating is steering wheel. tall people should have their own steering wheel with spacer. while short people without.
          Last edited by bellwilliam; 02-05-2019, 12:43 PM.
          S1 Supermiata - 220whp
          13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
          17 GT350R
          03 Miata Club Sport
          96 NSX
          06 EVO MR
          15 Mini Cooper S
          Beck 550 Spyder

Comment

We had drivers from 5'-4" (in Stiletos) to 6'-7" on our LeMons team. Seat inserts and adjustable steering wheel as stated above. Had adjustable pedals on a sandrail but hydraulic throttle gives you no input whatsoever. Neither does drive by wire I guess.

Comment

Working...
            X